Round 25 vs Souths - Souths don't win the close ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking back through this season, there is a clear pattern with Souths games, THEY DON'T WIN THE CLOSE ONES! They either smash the opposition or lose in a tight one . Examples:

Rnd 17 - Souths vs Gold Coast - Gold Coast 14-10
Rnd 16 - Souths vs Nth QLD - Nth QLD 20-18
Rnd 10 - South vs Melbourne - Melbourne 27-14
Rnd 7 - Souths vs Canterbury - Canterbury 15-14
Rnd 4 - Souths vs Canberra - Canberra (no its not a typo) 30-18
Rnd 3 - South vs Wests - Wests 25-16
Rnd 2 - Souths vs Manly - Manly 14-12

Bottom line is if we make it an arm-wrestle and contain them to 2 tries we should get home.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Containing Souths too 2 tries will be easier said then done.. I would argue that if we want to win this game we have to find a way to score more than 20 points.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope Moses is good at pressuring Reynolds kicks.

pupii

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that when they lose, they only lose by a small margin as opposed to getting smashed?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I think the point is that Souths are incapable of grinding out wins and holding their nerve in some real September style football. The point wasn't made well but it stands up when you look at their finals performances of the last recent past. They always peak a few rounds out from finals, people talk about them, and they inevitably disappoint their fans and the media again. Imagine the number of papers the telegraph could sell if Souths made it to a grand final.

The original poster should have also pointed out that Souths did infact beat the Broncos by two points in round 8. Souths look great on paper and sometimes even look really good (now). But when push comes to shove I guarantee you it won't be them holding their own.

pupii

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Could be the fact only one of their players has ever played in a Grand Final. They have a lot of inexperienced players so no doubt they will fold when the pressure is on.

I still think they don't have self belief. When they are hot they turn it on. As soon as things are not going their way they lose the plot.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get the feeling we will win this one. Our defense will be up for it big time and our attack will work itself out in the end. Some people will not be impressed if we don't put on a cricket score though.

C

choice

I get the feeling we will win this one. Our defense will be up for it big time and our attack will work itself out in the end. Some people will not be impressed if we don't put on a cricket score though.
1 point good enough for me

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As long as we are able to score more points than our opposition over the next 5-6 games, I'll be very happy.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Heyyy I didn't realise this, but Sutton has not been named (so that means he can't play right?). Or can the coach change the side listed to anything else up to 1 hr from game time?
If it's the latter, it defeats the point of naming the sides Tuesday.

Why not just have them named an hr before the game?

1 point good enough for me
Not sure my heart muscles can take another close one!

DogsFan4Life

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heyyy I didn't realise this, but Sutton has not been named (so that means he can't play right?). Or can the coach change the side listed to anything else up to 1 hr from game time?
If it's the latter, it defeats the point of naming the sides Tuesday.

Why not just have them named an hr before the game?

Not sure my heart muscles can take another close one!
I think cause nothing else happens on Tuesdays but naming teams earlier in the week gives us an idea wat approach the coach will take on game day

The Detailer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey people I know this is not related to topic, but just wanted you all to know that my champions are playing at Half time in the Dogs & Rabbits game, I coach the Bankstown Sports team of champions so if you are at the game make some noise for them..

pupii

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They name the sides on Tuesday for the League Magazines. The official team list is given in an hour before the game.

DogsFan4Life

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey people I know this is not related to topic, but just wanted you all to know that my champions are playing at Half time in the Dogs & Rabbits game, I coach the Bankstown Sports team of champions so if you are at the game make some noise for them..
Will do bro

CHUCKYBOY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hope our defence is tight, because if their speedy backs make a break we don't have the pace to catch them.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can i just say F*ck Souffs...
Okay got that out of my system.
Night all.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
All 4 Burgess boys are playing for Souffs , are boys should be treating this game like a grand final . As long as our boys win - dont care by how much ////// cmon dogs !

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Two things came out of Souths last game against the Cowboys.

Firstly Souths like to dictate terms on the field, if the opposition pack starts giving it to them they just go quietly.

The other thing is that in Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary in the halves they have two half backs playing at half and five eighth; and that combination is not working. IMO if we put pressure on Keary their attack on that side will break down and Reynolds wont be able to run the show himself.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Looking back through this season, there is a clear pattern with Souths games, THEY DON'T WIN THE CLOSE ONES! They either smash the opposition or lose in a tight one . Examples:

Rnd 17 - Souths vs Gold Coast - Gold Coast 14-10
Rnd 16 - Souths vs Nth QLD - Nth QLD 20-18
Rnd 10 - South vs Melbourne - Melbourne 27-14
Rnd 7 - Souths vs Canterbury - Canterbury 15-14
Rnd 4 - Souths vs Canberra - Canberra (no its not a typo) 30-18
Rnd 3 - South vs Wests - Wests 25-16
Rnd 2 - Souths vs Manly - Manly 14-12

Bottom line is if we make it an arm-wrestle and contain them to 2 tries we should get home.
I'm not sure we even have the attack to get two tries ourselves at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.