Round 2 Press Conference

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Kikau no try was extremely rough. Commonsense should be used. Unfortunately though it’s become evident that Canterbury can’t score points despite having some big names
Hutcinson is putrid. He offers nothing. Can’t believe Ciraldo didn’t see the writing on the wall last week
If the Dogs lose next week they will go 0-6 to start the season.
On paper this is not a wooden spoon side. Maybe it’s the coach and the bloke who pulls the strings
manly 13+

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I see the improvements . I’m happy with the progress currently . Two tough teams and we gave them both troubles with some questionable calls .

Parra
Last tackle 6 agains
Cartwright try surely was a double movement with him twisting himself not momentum.
last try Taafe was taken out off the ball .

tonight
Kikau no try
Kikau high tackle wtf was that call
Crichton taking out catcher mid air
Then Taafe cops the same but no penalty
Kiraz error ? Looked like a Cronulla hand for me .
mulitalo or talakai did they both not drop it ?
plus all the six agains and other silly penalties . We also did lose Poasa first hitup.
So I think in both games results would not have blown out like they did . Both could’ve easily been 6 point games .

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
,,,,,,,,Bagging the refs isn’t gonna win us more games.
Actually it is!

Last year we were bent over by the refs almost every match, and nothing was said so it just kept on happening. The refs aren't out to get us (with perhaps one notable exception), but they start most matches with the idea that team A is better than Team B, and therefore more likely to win. If they give all of the 50:50 decisions in favour of Team A, the public get the result they expect, and so there is less chance of any backlash. By complaining in the proper way, armed with a "highlights" reel of the worst decisions, the refs may be pressured into doing their jobs without fear or favour.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Actually it is!

Last year we were bent over by the refs almost every match, and nothing was said so it just kept on happening. The refs aren't out to get us (with perhaps one notable exception), but they start most matches with the idea that team A is better than Team B, and therefore more likely to win. If they give all of the 50:50 decisions in favour of Team A, the public get the result they expect, and so there is less chance of any backlash. By complaining in the proper way, armed with a "highlights" reel of the worst decisions, the refs may be pressured into doing their jobs without fear or favour.
It's certainly worth pursuing ...the expectation that both teams should be equally reffed ...and our club aren't gonna take it anymore when blatant bias or incompetannce is evident in games. We have nothing to lose as we are already disadvantaged by their decisions. Might as well put them on notice that fair and even handed reffing is the new standard expected by us.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
I can't wait for annesley on Monday to say "well actuallllly" and then go on trying to defend some of the decisions

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't wait for annesley on Monday to say "well actuallllly" and then go on trying to defend some of the decisions
[emoji23][emoji23] this is so true.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately he is the best we have. Sexton was terrible in reserve grade and simply isn’t the answer. In time we have some good halves. But we have to wait.
Well then you have a huge problem. With no half back of note, it will nullify the brilliance of Kikau and Crichton

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all those people that think their opinions are correct, while professional ex-players and coaches are wrong, Burton scored the most fantasy points of any of our backs. I guess that means nothing though?

But EverYoNe eLse Is dEludEd…

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serious question mate: what do you think will change?
It’s fine for Ciro to say he plans to ‘follow up’ but does anyone honestly believe that (if it even happens) will change anything? We need to focus on what we can control - our attack is poor, we drop too much ball, we defend too much and subsequently we run out of gas and get run over - two weeks a row now. Copping the rough end of the pineapple on a few decisions doesn’t change that. We need to be better. A LOT better.
It’s possible as I’ve seen several examples of it. I remember the Warriors had a whinge and were rewarded with more favourable calls. Think their CEO or owner did too. Can’t remember who it was, but a coach had a big whinge and the week after got most calls their way.

It can have an effect. Sometimes it’s not even conscious bias. It’s often the perennially poor teams that get this unconscious treatment.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cartwright try surely was a double movement with him twisting himself not momentum.
I can’t believe this is the first mention I’ve seen or heard of this anywhere! I thought I was crazy, like when tf did that become not a double movement?! His arm carrying the ball hit the ground and he rotated his body to put the ball over the line. Ridiculous.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It’s possible as I’ve seen several examples of it. I remember the Warriors had a whinge and were rewarded with more favourable calls. Think their CEO or owner did too. Can’t remember who it was, but a coach had a big whinge and the week after got most calls their way.

It can have an effect. Sometimes it’s not even conscious bias. It’s often the perennially poor teams that get this unconscious treatment.
Maybe but how long does it last?
Remember in 2022 when the Tigtanic lost on the bell to the Cowboys over a contentious call? There was all this blow-up and the Tigers said they’d ’consider their options’ only to say 24 hours later they’d cop it and move on. I just think anyone expecting that a whinge to the NRL is going to fundamentally change our fortunes has focus on the wrong thing - our focus should be on improving our attack and ball security resulting in less defending and we will naturally compete better and not have to worry about what referees gets wrong.