OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME ROUND 2 | Bulldogs vs Sharks | Discussion thread 6pm Friday @ Pointsbet Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he runs hard chuck him in we need anything we can get
He certainly did in the trial. He was quiet in cup on sat I thought though. Does intrigue me that he was named on an extended first grade team sheet, and not at all on the cup sheet.....

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All good bro.

We all just want a successful team. I could probably best sum it up this way.

I listen to most podcasts because I spend a lot of time travelling for work. I am not a Brent Read fan at all but he made a good point about our performance on the weekend. Said something like :

“It didn’t surprise me and it shouldn’t surprise anyone. Everyone thought :

a) - they would be better than last year : and
b) - they still won’t play finals though because they lack a quality half back and quality middle forwards “.

And that was the difference on the weekend “.

Simple, but true.

What I can’t cop is idiots blaming Gus for not plugging them holes. In that same podcast Brent Read said we should have went harder for Moses and Jimmy Graham picked him up on it. Told him Moses was never leaving.
This week will give much better feedback if he's right about being allot better than 2023 or not.

This team needs to win 8 games to be better than last season and how they go this week should give a better idea of where the team is really at.

Following the pre season progress as we all seem to I'm expecting a good win this week. Don't hear allot of other supporters saying they're going to get up but if they're a far better team than last season then winning this week is very likely.

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sorry mate you are comparing apples and bowling balls.

Everyone knows it’s a totally different market these days. The cap went up 20% last year and clubs locked in their key players.

That was never the case back in Dessie’s day.

The tigers paid $1.2 million for Luai. That should tell you how different it is.

Also back then we were a good side. Now we are shit.

Des was reckless. $800k for Eastwood in his last year.

Hopefully the faithful at Belmore let him know that in a fortnight (even though Foran will probably score the winning try right on full time just to plough us into further depression……….)
I am looking forward to the round 3 game against the Titans. It is a Dogs home game, pity it's at Belmore, and based upon the Titan's form against the Dragons in Round 1 we should have 2 pretty evenly matched teams. I much prefer this to getting flogged by 30+ which is unfortunately something that we will have to put up with maybe 6-8 times in season 2024 under the 5-year plan to make the 8 in 2027.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time I see Taafes name I feel sick
Is it just me or was he way better at rabbits ? Yet again we have made hardly any line breaks in trials and first round to see what he is like in space .

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biondi odo seems to be the only player in form at the moment but no where to be seen.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does anyone really expect us to win?? Deep down??
I think it will be another ‘whole hearted effort from the Dogs’
With a 16 point loss and head scratching after the game regarding positional changes for round 3 against the Titans

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Curran needs to start, Tracey for Taafe and Kitone for Morrin at a minimum.
I'm seeing bench players get plenty of minutes throughout the nrl, more than starting players. Not sure why, maybe because it was only rd 1. Think Curran would get plenty of game time this match assuming normal circumstances

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taaffe should have been out, CC is doing him no favours selecting him when his confidence is shot!! This coach is absolute trash lol. And as for XERRI .. what a waste of a signing leaving him out. Sick of it.
xerri isn’t ready mate, if you watched reserve grade you would understand why. hopefully in a few weeks he will be promoted to first grade

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
his defence was shocking last week anyway… i personally think he needs a few weeks to get the body used to the contact again.
Yep missed 5 tackles on the weekend and had his shoulders turned a few times which they made linebreaks from. Still needs a little bit more time on the field before we rely upon him as a saviour.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No not at all what I'm saying lol.
But you made me laugh hard at the end so I thank you for that haha.

What my take of the situation is that Gould is the one working on recruitment exclusively, he probably confides in his coach and maybe asks for his thoughts (big maybe) as a courtesy.
He's hiring these guys and knows what he wants to do with them. He claims to having nothing to do with make up of the team but if you know Gould you know he spins lots of fictions and for a control freak like him he's 100% playing puppet master isn't he?

But no of course assistants can become head coaches that's normal. I'm just convinced Gould hired Cc and signed him for 5 years so he could have full control of the recruiting and the team itself throughout the coming years with no resistance.
By your own words:

- If Gus works on recruitment ‘exclusively’ - what does Peter Sharp (Head of Recruitment) do? Think you’re underestimating what a GM of Football actually does.

- If Ciro was happy to stay an underling, why wouldn’t he have just stayed at Penrith and won (at least) one more comp letting Ivan and others make all the calls?

I find your logic odd not to mention both of these outcomes if true (they’re not) would be extremely poor governance from the clubs board. Time for a re-think.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is it just me or was he way better at rabbits ? Yet again we have made hardly any line breaks in trials and first round to see what he is like in space .
His confidence took a big hit vs Sharks in that trial and a fringe NRL level player is always going to struggle with only 41% possession overall, but, reality is he wasn’t great with the exception of 1 try assist. At least it is one more try assist than our half (Flanno) had for the first 7-8 rounds last year if memory serves correctly.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You leave my Cameron alone. According to the GM he's completely reinventing the wheel and absolutely coaching the wheels off these players.

Even losing whilst putting in great effort is much more critical than winning.

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app
How the fuck do you keep getting back onto this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.