OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME ROUND 2 | Bulldogs vs Sharks | Discussion thread 6pm Friday @ Pointsbet Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Xerri has had much better preparation and pre season than Tracey tho so that theory only half right lol
Yet Kiraz had nothing and immediately started in round 1. Guess CC has certain players penciled in and the likes of Xerri, Tracey are not certainties.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm not stressing this season about team selection made by the fraud assistant.

No point, he cant pick a team, he can't manage rotations, he just can't coach.
Yeah a few now saying he's broken our spirit with the issues you've mentioned above and care factor zero is about the only way to survive till he sees the light lol.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yet Kiraz had nothing and immediately started in round 1. Guess CC has certain players penciled in and the likes of Xerri, Tracey are not certainties.
\_(ツ)_/¯

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's funny how we are setting this narrative around Gould having influence over signings... YET!

YET!!!! This is exactly the oversight we needed during Hasler's coaching period!!! Someone to help him and overrule bad recruitment targets and ridiculous wages that impact the cap.
Influence? He has complete autonomy with recruitment and he makes that fact very public that it's his roster not the coaches.
But irrelevant to the point the he hired Ciraldo because he's an assistant coach. He didn't want the potential of a coach that may have been a bit hard to direct at times and didn't always see eye to eye with his agenda or decision making etc...
And if you know how Gould operates if he comes out and says things such as
"I have nothing to do with selections that's the coaches job"
You know dam well that's a fiction.

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Influence? He has complete autonomy with recruitment and he makes that fact very public that it's his roster not the coaches.
But irrelevant to the point the he hired Ciraldo because he's an assistant coach. He didn't want the potential of a coach that may have been a bit hard to direct at times and didn't always see eye to eye with his agenda or decision making etc...
And if you know how Gould operates if he comes out and says things such as
"I have nothing to do with selections that's the coaches job"
You know dam well that's a fiction.

I'm not complaining about his oversight. We've seen what zero oversight looks like with a coach in total control (HASLER). A salary cap mess and poor targets / retention. It's too much for a coach to handle on his own.

You cannot seriously tell me Ciraldo hasn't had meaningful input. He has targeted Crichton, Salmon and even Leniu although we did not get him. Ciraldo was there in the first meetings with Taaffe & Xerri as well.

Gus & Cam both have input into the signings I do not see any issue with that.

Parramatta operate in a similar way if you believe NRL 360 reports. Brad Arthur has a lot of say but not total control on recruitment.

Also I think Gus means team selections when he says "I have nothing to do with selections". Gus isn't naming the team every week.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone think there will be a drastic improvement from Blake Taaffe under a high ball on Friday night?
he’s scared. Plain and simple. He’s had so many chances to play in his favoured position but no one other than us have picked him up. He’s not up to it

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not complaining about his oversight. We've seen what zero oversight looks like with a coach in total control (HASLER). A salary cap mess and poor targets / retention. It's too much for a coach to handle on his own.

You cannot seriously tell me Ciraldo hasn't had meaningful input. He has targeted Crichton, Salmon and even Leniu although we did not get him. Ciraldo was there in the first meetings with Taaffe & Xerri as well.

Parramatta operate in a similar way if you believe NRL 360 reports. Brad Arthur has a lot of say but not total control on recruitment.

Also I think Gus means team selections when he says "I have nothing to do with selections". Gus isn't naming the team every week.
gus and Hasler is a fucking match made in heaven. We’d make the finals for sure

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Must have been for his grubber that set a try up..... for the opposition!
I had cooper cronks voice in my head saying “ he’s put that kick on an absolute dime” :tearsofjoy:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No not at all what I'm saying lol.
But you made me laugh hard at the end so I thank you for that haha.

What my take of the situation is that Gould is the one working on recruitment exclusively, he probably confides in his coach and maybe asks for his thoughts (big maybe) as a courtesy.
He's hiring these guys and knows what he wants to do with them. He claims to having nothing to do with make up of the team but if you know Gould you know he spins lots of fictions and for a control freak like him he's 100% playing puppet master isn't he?

But no of course assistants can become head coaches that's normal. I'm just convinced Gould hired Cc and signed him for 5 years so he could have full control of the recruiting and the team itself throughout the coming years with no resistance.

All good bro.

We all just want a successful team. I could probably best sum it up this way.

I listen to most podcasts because I spend a lot of time travelling for work. I am not a Brent Read fan at all but he made a good point about our performance on the weekend. Said something like :

“It didn’t surprise me and it shouldn’t surprise anyone. Everyone thought :

a) - they would be better than last year : and
b) - they still won’t play finals though because they lack a quality half back and quality middle forwards “.

And that was the difference on the weekend “.

Simple, but true.

What I can’t cop is idiots blaming Gus for not plugging them holes. In that same podcast Brent Read said we should have went harder for Moses and Jimmy Graham picked him up on it. Told him Moses was never leaving.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny how we are setting this narrative around Gould having influence over signings... YET!

YET!!!! This is exactly the oversight we needed during Hasler's coaching period!!! Someone to help him and overrule bad recruitment targets and ridiculous wages that impact the cap.
Sorry mate you are comparing apples and bowling balls.

Everyone knows it’s a totally different market these days. The cap went up 20% last year and clubs locked in their key players.

That was never the case back in Dessie’s day.

The tigers paid $1.2 million for Luai. That should tell you how different it is.

Also back then we were a good side. Now we are shit.

Des was reckless. $800k for Eastwood in his last year.

Hopefully the faithful at Belmore let him know that in a fortnight (even though Foran will probably score the winning try right on full time just to plough us into further depression……….)

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Oh yeah token input I'm sure he has but you can't say back that of course Goulds highest priority targets aren't going to be off contract Panthers?
He knows that club intimately I'm sure he genuinely wants to recreate the success that's been achieved over there. Salmon and Critta needed new clubs and with other gun ex Panthers already here it would have been easy enough to sign those guys for the right $. These guys have won comps together and being reunited would have been a huge incentive to come here.
Have you seen the movie money ball? Wonderful flick and I think that it's probably very close to how the bulldogs operates.
Except the coach and GM are at odds in the movie where here it at least seems on the surface the working relationship is cordial.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
KKi
Yeah I agree I think someone like Kitone with as bit more agression needs to be included. Maybe even Tetevano. I think our backs are ok for another week except for the forced change with the Fox. But we have Kiraz and like you say Tracy or maybe Xerri in the centers.

I would like to see Tracy on the bench as backup for everywhere but especially in the halves. If Taaffe stuffs up again then Tracy can come in. But I don't think we should just sack Taaffe on one game. It would be no good for his confidence. The poor showing wasn't the fault of single players but just poor team effort.
Kitione hasn't been named in Cup. Could be a smokey to come in. Looked good in the trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.