Official Round 18 Bulldogs V Rabbitohs - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No idea why trent didn’t give bbo more minutes just bizarre coaching
Exactly, and he gives that brain dead Katoa chance after chance, the bloke misses crucial tackles, gives away ridiculous penalties and just stands there when the play gets behind him, no idea how this bloke is still in the side

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The attitude the team ran out with last night was garbage considering the situation the club is in, took them a while to get into the game.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If Avarillo is in the team next week, then swap him with Lewis. Avarillo is not a half-back, touches the ball least of any Half Back in the comp. Lewis is not a 5/8, move him to HB.
Anyone got an idea on Barrett's theory on doing that? Did it to Flanno/Avo combo as well.

They're "challenged" enough already yet Barrett makes it even more difficult for them by changing their most experienced positions.

Avo at 7 now is not really helping him that much for next year with working with Burton, bc Burton will completely dominate Avo probably.

No idea why trent didn’t give bbo more minutes just bizarre coaching
There's a growing number of bizarre coaching decisions/selections.

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone got an idea on Barrett's theory on doing that? Did it to Flanno/Avo combo as well.

They're "challenged" enough already yet Barrett makes it even more difficult for them by changing their most experienced positions.

Avo at 7 now is not really helping him that much for next year with working with Burton, bc Burton will completely dominate Avo probably.

There's a growing number of bizarre coaching decisions/selections.
Yeah he also needs to break up Hetherington Thompson rotation, they shouldn’t be on together, both are to small to get us out of our own end, they need to be off the back of Ava, Ogden and Atoni when he comes back in, why he starts both of them together is beyond me

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mate, if the other 16 put in each week like Lewis does, we would be a far better team, while I agree, he will never be the greatest half in the game, you can’t question his commitment
You're right mate. Attitude is crap with most of the team. No discipline, no heart.

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Despite the loss last night, it was a great to see our halves finally engage with our backline in plays (excluding Meaney.) I’m extremely pleased to see great signs of potential in Corey Allen. We’re currently a lot better when Lewis is in the squad.

In a few moments of the game, the forwards standing deeper, that kick return run from Hetherington was awesome! I think I saw Burgess fly back. Good to see the forward pack running hard and tackling hard ;)

I still believe Hopoate still has heaps to offer but not at the bulldogs or in a squad that is figuring things out. So, very happy he signed with someone else rather than drifting off into the abyss.

Lots of game rust of Okunbur but his runs were getting better as the game went on and especially after he scored that try, woeful game by Meaney and the only redeeming factor of Averillo’s game was his goal kicking.

Sione Katoa doesn’t do this often enough but every time he kicked the ball has always been spot on. Shame he can’t produce this consistently

What happened to Atoni again? I swear he was named

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah he also needs to break up Hetherington Thompson rotation, they shouldn’t be on together, both are to small to get us out of our own end, they need to be off the back of Ava, Ogden and Atoni when he comes back in, why he starts both of them together is beyond me
Atoni in then out but Waddle 2nd row.

Gaining momentum with BBO but he replaces him with Katoa.

Switching Lewis/Avo and Flanno/Avo.

The No Train Napa decision. Playing Napa at all bad enough.

Meaney should have been dropped last week.

Hoppa should have had a spell in reserves to see if he could find anything.

Ava needs to start.

His continual use of Katoa when there are other options.

The gameplan apparently not adjusted for our basic skillset.

Continual, and continued, issues with lazy penalties not addressed by coach.

Hetherington's tackle style not addressed.

Being harsh but there's issues with Baz and we can't afford more sub-par coaching going forward. We've had enough of that past 8 years. Hoping Gus sorts him out as well.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering we lost 66-0 against eagles recently and have been competitive and close to two upsets last 2 weeks against top 4 sides I'm proud of the progress we have made since that thumping.

BBO and Schoupp both looking great.
Defence was improved - Rabbitohs are hard to stop against the line but I felt we did okay there considering the amount of ball they had.
We were scoring nice tries too.
Just can't get any call going our way from refs and way too many repeat sets. Idk what most of the set restarts were for either. Always happened when we got that bit closer to doing something good.

Got some depth in outside backs next year which is great.
Dufty, ado carr, Schoupp, Naden, cotric, okunbor, t Katoa (depth), alamoti, averillo if needed, C chrichton (depth), much more speed.

Need a new 9 and 7 and some attacking forwards like TPJ and we should be muchly improved.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who noticed when our starting front rowers played against there starting front rowers we barley made 30m a set then when our bench came on against there’s we made easily 50-60m a set. Our first priority are a few big and mobile front rowers. Thomson, hetho and Jackson are just to small to compete with the likes of burges and haas type players. That’s my 2 cents

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's made himself a target with his poor/lazy tackling technique and his hot head.
Maybe, but a referee should penalise on what has happened not what he thinks the player in question has done in the past. That was the big problem with Bill Harrigan. He penalised players based on past history. It was one reason that cost Corey Hughes a career at one club.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who noticed when our starting front rowers played against there starting front rowers we barley made 30m a set then when our bench came on against there’s we made easily 50-60m a set. Our first priority are a few big and mobile front rowers. Thomson, hetho and Jackson are just to small to compete with the likes of burges and haas type players. That’s my 2 cents
Thompson is ideally a backrower he might have been a prop 10 years ago he isn't now. Jackson is as cooked as a well done steak. Do not rate Hethrenigton one single bit. Agree on your insights, 2 big props is a number 1 priority