Official Round 16 - Bulldogs vs Raiders Discussion Thread

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’’s the lack of basics that gets me riled. Effective defence requires momentum in the tackle. In days of yore every school kid who played rugby union or rugby league was taught how to tackle. Move forward into the tackle and drive with the legs - impact and momentum to stop the advancing opponent. Move up to the advantage line to rob the attack of time and movement. The dogs rarely bend their backs; at best they stand like statues putting their hands on the advancing player and getting swiftly marched backwards holding on; at worst they turn their backs on the advancing player and start moving backwards in the direction of their own try line. There has been no improvement in the past three years under a coach that promised a return to the dogs of war defence. Pathetic. Against the raiders soft tries were scored by Canberra players simply going straight through the dogs forwards who were standing upright. When defending the line one needs to stay low so the tackled player can be driven up and back. It’s just laziness when the attacker can slip underneath and score. Georgallis pleads lack of leadership. Well isn’t he the head honcho leader. There are too many lazy players in the squad. Big beefcakes with tiny brains and even less ticker.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Case in point.. toomaga ran for 111 metres in 22 minutes. Tolman ran for 145 in 66 minutes..
In one third the minutes RT almost matched tolmans output in attack.
Thanks for proving my point.

Those numbers along with the others which you have not disclosed, clearly show To'omaga is a bench impact player, BUT dont forget the other STATS, where To'omaga made 8 tackles and missed 3, while Tolman made 46 tackles with 3 missed.

To'omaga and Ogden are not starting props, it is simple as that.

Hopefully Barrett can get them a lot fitter and change their attitudes in defence

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Those numbers along with the others which you have not disclosed, clearly show To'omaga is a bench impact player, BUT dont forget the other STATS, where To'omaga made 8 tackles and missed 3, while Tolman made 46 tackles with 3 missed.

Hopefully Barrett can get them a lot fitter and change their attitudes in defence
Stats do not show how ineffective tolman is, if anything the just mask how bad he is..shame ineffective tackle stat is missing otherwise tolman would be leading the comp.. one of his ineffective tackles led straight to a try..

Toomaga has been given such a shit go this year I'm surprised he's got any match fitness at all.. also toomaga defence is normally pretty solid, nothing like ogden. I put those missed tackles down to lack of game time..

Every team needs a balance of attack and defence in forward stocks and our team is severely out of balance

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Middle fucking terrible defence. Kotoa was also terrible. Once JMK came off the middle was as soft as butter.
I agree, Katoa slowed everything down he would run one way stop then pass the opposite way to a player standing still....

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfit and line speed in defence is a good indicator of that.
Ogden & Kotoa woeful today in defence.
I think thats a large part of the problem they look like they can only play half a game . its not easy training athletes very similar to race horses you have to get the balance right hopefully we learn from Barrett what hes learned at the Riff!

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Baz has a job on his hands. Apart from adding some talent we have no Captain or senior players in this team that take control. They were a joke yesterday especially defending the line for those soft raider tries. SG says they forgot how to win, well hate to say it but the boys are now use to losing.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Ogden was terrible in defense. I wouldn't be surprised he gets a "rest".

Toomaga had a bad miss too.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holland should be taking the conversions from the sideline.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Stats do not show how ineffective tolman is, if anything the just mask how bad he is..shame ineffective tackle stat is missing otherwise tolman would be leading the comp.. one of his ineffective tackles led straight to a try..

Toomaga has been given such a shit go this year I'm surprised he's got any match fitness at all.. also toomaga defence is normally pretty solid, nothing like ogden. I put those missed tackles down to lack of game time..

Every team needs a balance of attack and defence in forward stocks and our team is severely out of balance
I agree, our forward pack is severely out of balance.

We need Ogden and To'omaga on the bench, Jackson to move to lock and we need two new props - one would be Christian Welch (pronto) to replace Tolman, and another prop to replace Napa (be it for 2021 or 2022)

8. Welch
10. RFM
11. Elliott
12. Thompson
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. To'omaga
16. Napa
17. Doorey

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, our forward pack is severely out of balance.

We need Ogden and To'omaga on the bench, Jackson to move to lock and we need two new props - one would be Christian Welch (pronto) to replace Tolman, and another prop to replace Napa (be it for 2021 or 2022)

8. Welch
10. RFM
11. Elliott
12. Thompson
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. To'omaga
16. Napa
17. Doorey
Welch is a young tolman, no thank you!!..

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A young Tolman in defence and definitely not a Tolman in attack.

Players like Welch are a must, the key is how long you hold onto them for before being replaced by a similar version.
That is correct - the key on how long to hold onto those type of players....

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A young Tolman in defence and definitely not a Tolman in attack.

Players like Welch are a must, the key is how long you hold onto them for before being replaced by a similar version.
No way,... He has no impact.. he works well in the storm pack because they have impact forwards like Tino and asofa to even the balance... We need a real impact forward..

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No way,... He has no impact.. he works well in the storm pack because they have impact forwards like Tino and asofa to even the balance... We need a real impact forward..
Rubbish.....always attracts and takes a minimum of 3 defenders to take him down and consistently gets post contact metres. Doesnt have an offload, but you cant have it all.

On another note NAS has been on the bench all season coming on as an impact forward. We have two impact forwards in Ogden and To'omaga.

We need two starting props who offer punch in attack and defence, one to replace Tolman (Welch) and another to replace Napa (someone)

• Haha
Reactions: GDR

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought Meaney scored a double. Might be wrong though.
Meaney scored 3 against Brisbane last year & that is the only time in 1st grade that he has scored multiple tries in a game.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Georgallis going off at Montoya for almost giving away a penalty for the push in the back.. Montoya looked confused lol
That was a nasty and inexcusable push by him on the Canberra guy. Could of caused whiplash.
I hope our club push him out in the back with the same intensity when his time is done.