News Round 1 Predicted Teams - Bulldogs: New coach and yet another roster overhaul offers hope for finals return

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus has been hyping up Preston massively and he dominated Reserves last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a bench spot in round 1 or the first few weeks of the season.
Yep.Nothing better than if he explodes out of the blocks early this season we want strike all over the park.As a few including you have said RFM can be an engine he doesn't have that X factor imo..others may know better than me but I don't think he ever did have really..thats not a knock but let's play him where he is most effective, plus we're a middle short atm and or have guys in their development phase.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yep.Nothing better than if he explodes out of the blocks early this season we want strike all over the park.As a few including you have said RFM can be an engine he doesn't have that X factor imo..others may know better than me but I don't think he ever did have really..thats not a knock but let's play him where he is most effective, plus we're a middle short atm and or have guys in their development phase.
RFM was outstanding when running of foran when he was fit and firing. The problem for any right edge is that they will be running of flannigan who is fuking leggless. RFM could play lock no doubt. That leaves a rotation of TPJ, King and Thommo as props.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Since it's all speculation, we don't know who's training where and how well, and we're not even close to the trials yet...
...here's a team selected (from positions listed only) on bulldogs website:

1 Casey (Only Fullback we have, apparently)
2 Kiraz (Winger only. A better centre imo)
3 Averillo (A centre...)
4 Skelton
5 JAC
6 Perham (Yep, a 5/8th - why not)
7 Burton (He's a Halfback according to the website, not a 5/8th :tonguewink: )
8 Thompson
9 Mahoney
10 TPJ
11 Kikau
12 RFM
13 King (The only Lock listed but must be starting prop, imo)
14 Topine
15 Davey
16 Sutton
17 Pele (In a reshuffle, probably makes way for bench utility: Nu Brown or Brandon Clarke)

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RFM was outstanding when running of foran when he was fit and firing. The problem for any right edge is that they will be running of flannigan who is fuking leggless. RFM could play lock no doubt. That leaves a rotation of TPJ, King and Thommo as props.
I actually think RFM is the best option we have for lock.

The downside to that is realistically it will leave the right edge to either Davey or Waddle. With Flanno also on the right.

We are so much weaker on the right. Teams will be able to focus more on our left side. Knowing there is such a little threat coming down the right. Fingers crossed CC can get the balance right.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I actually think RFM is the best option we have for lock.

The downside to that is realistically it will leave the right edge to either Davey or Waddle. With Flanno also on the right.

We are so much weaker on the right. Teams will be able to focus more on our left side. Knowing there is such a little threat coming down the right. Fingers crossed CC can get the balance right.
Davey will be good. Preston and Topine also options which leaves Waddell as the fourth maybe third best option which is good. Still weak but much better than Waddell playing there. Our right side should improve come 2024 with the factors of Xerri, Skelton etc and hopefully a new 7 that isn’t Flanagan.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For all the talk of big season recruitment it is obvious there is still huge gaps in the line up. Especially if Kiraz is on the wing. Our centres leave a lot to be desired. You’d hope burns isn’t the first choice. Something must be in the works right?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Haha, We established ? In your opinion would be more accurate
Go back and read. Several said same and overall it’s widely accepted and known. Hence the fans actually removing her../

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not sure if mentioned yet but looks like RFM is training at second row?
View attachment 63377
I think that was always gonna be the case. Think tpj is 13.

Kikau one edge.

Davey and rfm fight the other. Davey was one of manlys best for the first half season. Again easy with Foran/dce compared to flopagun.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As well he should.. He's always been way more impactful and consistent in the middle as opposed to on the edges.. He's at his best when he has two 20-25 minute stints in the middle. He's not as effective and is weaker defensively when playing big minutes on the edge
He also needs to run straight , no more crab running !!!

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beauty about our front row rotation is we have players that can slot across lock/second row/prop (for the most).

For bench rotation that's awesome.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Beauty about our front row rotation is we have players that can slot across lock/second row/prop (for the most).

For bench rotation that's awesome.
Thing is, big backrowers tend to be less mobile in defence, I like big forwards but prefer a solid defence, backrowers and a lock that can help shut down 2nd phase play, goose steps, missed tackles, short balls, etc.
Mobile backrowers is important, especially when those big backrowers like RFM don't really do your typical prop hitups.
I'm a little iffy on RFM and some young big forwards because I find his lateral movement in previous seasons wasn't the best, that could be the previous years' team mentality though, overall they weren't playing for each other, heads down when going was tough or tough calls rather than being committed to everything and aiming up.

Defence is also more a team effort rather than solely an individual effort, so I'm hoping it was just the team mood at the time to blame, not RFM's and others fault when scrambling in defence covering tackles edges of the ruck. Fresh start, confidence, and good camaraderie can make a world of difference in regards to commitment in defence.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dallas Johnson was a great lock and he was tiny compared to our backrowers, this generation should be fitter (and able to cover width) than previous years too since the game is continually aiming for shorter breaks, more (softer) penalties, limited interchange, and the damn 6 agains