Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Discussion thread 5:30pm @ CommBank Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sheesh not good mate.
Albeit I passed out earlier so I understand fd up sleeps.
Also earlier I said(whilst pissed)he was scared that was likely incorrect, lacks polish though imo.
Bit too prone conceding errors and I don't think he is a long term wing option really but gets a reprieve now anyway with JAC likely out for a while.
I'm not overly fussed, I just don't understand why so many want to scapegoat him. Burton was practically hiding in the centres all game. Critta barely even made 5 runs out of our end. Mahoney got steam rolled all game and probably missed a million tackles. I could go on.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I wouldn't. Wilson's performance is well down the list of things I'm worrying about right now in regards to our side.
But you ll pick out Burton in a trial when he was nowhere near our worst, you have your favourites and players you dont like, dont be inconsistent eh

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
a drop out he could have just caught?? And the intercept he could have taken? Any other player and you d be rinsing them, just because you like wilson you cant bare to, if you think hes good enough long term, you are part of the problem
That's not what he's saying tho mate.

Damn people on here go hard against certain individuals.

What Marley is saying is that there were far worse players out there today other than Wilson. Why weren't there threads made after them?

While Wilson didn't set the world on fire, he was solid enough and far from the top of players who deserve to be criticised ... which I believe is what Marley is saying...

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But you ll pick out Burton in a trial when he was nowhere near our worst, you have your favourites and players you dont like, dont be inconsistent eh
Yeah. Well, I believe Burton should be held to higher standards and expectations anyway ...

I'm not saying Marley is perfect ... Lol but you've chosen the wrong example to make a point my friend.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s really simple
Mistakes from dogs gave parra field position and they basically camped in our half for the whole first 40mins.
It’s not rocket science honestly it’s been the same sorry for almost 6 years now. Hold the ball and stop giving away cheap penalties.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

What Marley is saying is that there were far worse players out there today other than Wilson. Why weren't there threads made after them?

While Wilson didn't set the world on fire, he was solid enough and far from the top of players who deserve to be criticised ... which I believe is what Marley is saying...
But thats what im saying, i think along with taafe and maybe salmon, he was one of our worst?

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. Well, I believe Burton should be held to higher standards and expectations anyway ...

I'm not saying Marley is perfect ... Lol but you've chosen the wrong example to make a point my friend.
Burton should be held to high standards but my original point was, burton got rinsed for a trial game he didnt even play bad in last week, wilson made 5 errors today and he played okay apparently

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wilson is good not sure why everyone is having a go at home. He had to work extremely hard tonight. I loved seeing him taking carries out of our red zone from the other side of the field.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But thats what im saying, i think along with taafe and maybe salmon, he was one of our worst?
Nah. Not saying he was fantastic but surely you look at Hutch, Burton, Kikau, Critta even and say they should've done more?

I don't think we were as bad as everyone is trying to make us out to be btw

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton should be held to high standards but my original point was, burton got rinsed for a trial game he didnt even play bad in last week, wilson made 5 errors today and he played okay apparently
I think he's already highlighted those mistakes tho and demonstrated that they really weren't as big as mistakes as you're making them out to be.

I think you could call out at least half the team before Wilson tbh. Probably even more

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also dont think he is worthy of a thread but needs to cut out the errors

How about Lomax's efforts for the Dragqueens, bloke had an insanely good game.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah. Not saying he was fantastic but surely you look at Hutch, Burton, Kikau, Critta even and say they should've done more?

You have just named the big names, who didnt even get the ball, taafe dropped that first bomb and we didnt see the ball for the rest of the half, we got a chance to get it back and wilson dropped the drop out, got some ball last 20 and kikau linked with crichton.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You have just named the big names, who didnt even get the ball, taafe dropped that first bomb and we didnt see the ball for the rest of the half, we got a chance to get it back and wilson dropped the drop out, got some ball last 20 and kikau linked with crichton.
I'm naming people that have the highest expectations who didn't live up to it imo.

The point stands.

Lots of players you could've called out. Strange you chose Wilson.

Personally I think they all did alright. We'll be better from it

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Defence was actually good. Goal line defence was great, in the end the sheer weight of possession just got the best of them. We scored twice when things began to turn for us.
In saying that it brings it back to the basics. Mistakes and discipline are what caused us to defend our line for pretty much all of the first half, and then not having but middles meant it was just going to be tough for us to get out of our red zone. It’s not that complicated.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was driving back from a lads golf trip but saw the replay late.

We are not going to beat anyone dropping the ball with shit errors

Defensively we were ok for most of the match ,great early on stopping wave after wave but that came back to get us late in the game because we had nothing left in the tank.

Parra should’ve put 60 on us with all that ball and territory and one of their tries from the salmon /wilson stuff up was a gift

Felt Hutchinson and Reed took far too many shots in good ball areas but the little ball we did get on the left Burton needed to do better with. Hutch was at least very active and involved in try scoring involvements.

The only consolation is that it’s only round one and it’s a short week till the Sharks game

CC will not make sweeping changes he gave us a clue in the presser Connor will replace Fox on the wing

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Defence was actually good. Goal line defence was great, in the end the sheer weight of possession just got the best of them. We scored twice when things began to turn for us.
In saying that it brings it back to the basics. Mistakes and discipline are what caused us to defend our line for pretty much all of the first half, and then not having but middles meant it was just going to be tough for us to get out of our red zone. It’s not that complicated.
Spot on for me.

I get why people are frustrated, but I honestly think people need to look more into the performance. It seems that we've got a much better defensive structure which is the hardest thing to improve.

Had we not made so many basic mistakes (though it could be argued that a few were strips), and ill discipline (though it could be argued that the ref was a ****) we would've been better.

We improve those basics, which I think is the easiest part of the game, then we'll improve quite quickly.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

He made 4 errors.
some teams make 4 errors.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A couple of key moments summed up that we are still far from a smart footy team

It was obvious Fox shoulder was busted yet we let him take hit ups and on the last instead of Critta swapping and dropping back Fox is there to collect the kick and get tackled with his fkd shoulder

Then we attack out the back down the left and numb nuts Taafe throws Fox a long ball to get smashed and thrown into touch

Amateur hour

Status
Not open for further replies.