Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Discussion thread 5:30pm @ CommBank Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea that’s the only questionable selection in my view. Sexton played well last year and during the trials . What did he do to deserve losing his spot to Hutchinson who in my view isn’t anything special. Hopefully we aren’t left scratching our heads after round 1
Yes what did sexton do to lose his spot from last year? Did he have a bad off season.? He is off contract to at the end of this year. Ffs ciraldo what is wrong with you?

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we go again with the media pumping up the EELs as title contenders. Love to have a $ for every time I’ve heard that.

No doubt Eels have the nucleus of a good side but they lack depth and don’t have a coach that is capable of winning a premiership.

They were extremely lucky to make premiership a few years back off a blatant forward going unnoticed that saw them gifted them a GF spot over the Cowboys in Townsville.

While Eels beat Penrith twice, they were during club rounds. When it comes to Finals footy the cream rises to the top.

One positive for the Eels they’re very hard to beat at home but far from unbeatable. Their record away is far less impressive.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What a negative reason to select hutcho
FMD the way you are carrying on you’d think he’d dropped Thurston to play hutch?? News flash they are both pretty ordinary halfbacks but obviously CC has seen something in the preseason at training that has made him lean on hutch if it doesn’t work out Sexton will get a go but death riding selections before a balls been kicked is moronic at best.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's mentioned we have a "smaller" pack, I purposely missed the hookers and 1 of the "lighter" bench players out of 4, Morrin's weight isn't available online. I realise the weights aren't live, up to date but it's a good enough reference.

Reagan Campbell-Gillard 115
Junior Paulo 123
Shaun Lane 110
Bryce Cartwright 107
J'maine Hopgood 102
Ryan Matterson 107
Joe Ofahengaue 113
Kelma Tuilagi 108
Total KG 885

Max King 105
Poasa Faamausili 108
Viliame Kikau 116
Jacob Preston 100
Jaeman Salmon 96
Samuel Hughes 111
Josh Curran 104
Kurt Mann 88
Total KG 828

Parra is lugging around an extra 57kg, 7.125kg per player, take that as you like, for better or worse. Some of their players are good at breaking tackles, or offloads through their height like Lane, physique (Paulo), or just plain footy skills like Hopgood. We just need a solid Defence and play smart strong footy.
take 4-5% off those reference weights. That is what some of the props have lost due to the increased pre-season demands. That might be a good thing for our game plan.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
FMD the way you are carrying on you’d think he’d dropped Thurston to play hutch?? News flash they are both pretty ordinary halfbacks but obviously CC has seen something in the preseason at training that has made him lean on hutch if it doesn’t work out Sexton will get a go but death riding selections before a balls been kicked is moronic at best.
I agree, there both very ordinary. Sexton ain’t no world beater, least we got a solid backup

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People losing their shit that Hutchinson gets the nod over sexton who was a reserve header at Titans when we threw him a lifeline ….bruh

Let’s just see what happens vs Eels

Chill, it’s a long ass season!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If we win this game against Parra it’ll end Brad Arthur’s coaching career there.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Eels by 12.

There is still not enough x-factor in the spine in my opinion.

If we win I will be pleasantly surprised.
Since 2010 the majority of the Eels wins have been by 13 plus particularly last 3 seasons

That said they haven’t won 4 in a row vs us in that time

Currently they are sitting on 3 wins in a row heading into Saturday so history says we win

Clutching ? Maybe

But fk the ParraScum

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
People losing their shit that Hutchinson gets the nod over sexton who was a reserve header at Titans when we threw him a lifeline ….bruh

Let’s just see what happens vs Eels

Chill, it’s a long ass season!
Exactly bro.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don’t get the Parra hype do think they can make the 8 Mahoneys departure hurt them last year but they’re nothing special. Slot Walsh in for Gutho maybe they’re a shout at top 4. End of the day as long as Parra don’t win a premiership until my future grandkids are 70 I’m happy.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Here we go again with the media pumping up the EELs as title contenders. Love to have a $ for every time I’ve heard that
Someone’s got to troll their fans, might as well be the media.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn’t Eels finish 10th last season ?

Can anyone tell me how they’ve improved that roster ?

They’re ripe for the taking, I believe we can knock em off, make an early statement, and come away with a decisive win ..

Status
Not open for further replies.