Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Discussion thread 5:30pm @ CommBank Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tracey
Jac
Xerri
Crichton
Kiraz
Burton
Hutcho/Sexton both same shit
King
Mahoney
Hughes
Kiks
Preston
Curran

Mann
Poasa
Kataugo
Salmon coveres halves or could rotate edge if need be .

why is it so hard to go with this ? Strike around the park some good size of the bench . I don’t know I cringe when I see Salmon starting lock he is so soft for a lock forward .

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think we're gonna see a lot of short side play on Burton's edge , I think a lot here will be surprised

4 on 4 we'll dominate most teams on that side
Need Burton giving early ball since we'll most likely be playing the sweeps, block plays, lock playmaker plays. Early ball and a couple adventurous plays, late in halves when he feels like he's getting predictable or seeing tired defenders, hit those gaps or setup holes for others, both sides hopefully but I'm asking for too much on that one.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm sick of Parra owning us for the past however many years. It used to be the other way around for a long time..

Their side is beatable, but their massive pack could be the difference. Which will give Moses, Brown and Gutherson quick play the balls. If we somehow prevent that, we win.
I'm worried about Gutherson and Moses, they really keep the defences questioning when the defence is on the backfoot.
Experience in the centres is going to help against their plays and half breaks. (I think Kiraz's intensity and communication makes up for his lack of total match numbers)

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would like to see Skelton at centre in reserves. We have no depth there and i think he is better suited to that position to utilise his skills. He should be there now with an eye towards playing as an edge backrower in a couple years time.

Kiraz for me is an out and out winger. Great under the high ball and can finish in the corner when required.

Xerri will come into the team sooner rather than later. I like Wilson but he is a genuine backup style player. Or the type of player you have when the rest of the backing are all reps taking up all the salary cap. We're not there yet.

I guess the question remains as to where Tracey will play. I doubt he walks straight into first grade from his injury but I also don't think we bought him to play reserves.
True about Kiraz under the high ball, most of the high balls he caught previously were from where you'd find either the centre or winger near the tryline anyway so maybe they work something out there with his fellow winger. Other than that, him at centre is ok.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Since the game has gone quicker, Ciraldo thinks Mann , salmon and more agile forwards is the way to go. Who knows? It might be a master move
That would work only if we have a brilliant spine.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? Name the 2nd out and out centre the club has after Crichton?
We have the following who can all play centre:

Chricton
Xerri
Kiraz
Tracey
Clark
Samrani
Perham
Burton

It doesn't matter if they're "out and out" centres, they all know how to play it, and all are capable of at least doing the role. I like skelton but he's probably currently our fourth best winger with the ability to climb up, and our ninth best centre, which I think would take him quite a few years to jump up to even top 5 (going by who we already have)

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t buy into CC playing favourites, to much on the line, and I don’t understand the Hutch pile on this early, I thought he played really well trial one when the whole team were more attack focused .. trial 2 he wasn’t as good but that game seemed more defence focused and a lot of different players were used ..

I’ll wait and base my opinion on players from what I see during the game, I’m thinking they’ll play a fit fast up tempo game, if they hang onto the ball and the ref’s fair … we can win ..

Might be nice to see certain players play their first real game before putting a line through them.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Me too KiwiDog7. Unforgettable.
i had never heard of him - what was he, 19 yeara old?

Instant ‘who is this guy?’ Impact.
18 I think. Was killing it in juniors, you could tell was something special

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t buy into CC playing favourites, to much on the line, and I don’t understand the Hutch pile on this early, I thought he played really well trial one when the whole team were more attack focused .. trial 2 he wasn’t as good but that game seemed more defence focused and a lot of different players were used ..

I’ll wait and base my opinion on players from what I see during the game, I’m thinking they’ll play a fit fast up tempo game, if they hang onto the ball and the ref’s fair … we can win ..

Might be nice to see certain players play their first real game before putting a line through them.
I’m always trials are about trialing things..not winning. So like you say, let’s see how they go in a couple of ‘real’ games first.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Guys well under 2000 tickets left for this game (Not sure how many Parra season ticket holders will turn up).

If you haven't bought tickets and are thinking of going you have really only a small window left to do so!

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m thinking we play our game against their outside backs which can definitely work. Taking the steam out of their backline can definitely be a weakness for parra. I’m feeling like we might have an upset here IF we can hold the ball, tighten our defence and not allow easy meters.

poasa will definitely be trying to do his best so he doesn’t get a line against his name. Patolo said he is in for round 3, so who knows might be a stop gap until he returns pending he has match fitness at all.

lastly xerri unlucky to miss the 17 but it was always going to be about having a couple games in NSW cup and then coming back into the side once his built up confidence being out for four years.

hutch needs to direct the team in attack and defence. Literally everyone needs to communicate in the team that’s what made Penrith the team they are today. I watched the show “undisputed” you see the panthers team talk about communicating, connecting etc.. it really isn’t hard to do however when your fatigued it’s definitely very hard to keep communicating till the final whistle. What was strange is we didn’t see any pre season videos etc.. so I’m hoping they’re hurting from the shit show we had last year. It does feel much better as I was super impressed with our defence against the sharks. It’s just gotta click and having critta lead the way with his actions and words can definitely rev up the other boys in fox, Burton, reed etc. we have a influx of players who can communicate compared to last year. Something has to click this year and for one I hope our defence does this.

Status
Not open for further replies.