Round 1 Bulldogs V Knights - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Napa was/is a flop...
Maybe because he was unfit... I'll see how he goes next week...

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though I didn't get to see most of our game (Foxtel coverage sucks) Donkos are smashing Doesnt Matta atm - minor happiness.
no happiness to be had... the Eels and Broncos form part of an axis of evil

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How would you describe Hethos game tonight? I can see potential in him. He looks one of our fittest. Moves well. Looks safe in defence around the middle. Baz said he just needs game time to reach his potential and I tend to agree.
He's a good athlete but he isn't physically dominant enough be be a starting prop. Workrate is poor...Ogden made double the runs with 10 less minutes, Renouf made 3 tackles less in less than half the minutes...his workrate just isn't there and hasn't ever been.

I don't rate him and wouldn't have signed him, needed a more dominant body to partner Thompson in the frontrow and that has always been my preference.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yh Hetheringtons massive 60 metres were defenitely best on park for us LOL.
What do you want from him when we don’t have the ball? It was the second half and I heard a stat of 65% game possession.
Next game look at his line speed in defence compared to the other forwards who are flopping in the tackle hanging around the ruck.
His aggression and in intent will be noticed as the year goes on. Trust me we will love him wearing the jersey.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With Pay he avoided the spoon comfortably with no rule changes from the NRLol. Once the 6 again came it completely exposed our pack and dummy half.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What do you want from him when we don’t have the ball? It was the second half and I heard a stat of 65% game possession.
Next game look at his line speed in defence compared to the other forwards who are flopping in the tackle hanging around the ruck.
His aggression and in intent will be noticed as the year goes on. Trust me we will love him wearing the jersey.
Ogden made double the runs in 10 minutes less, Renouf 3 tackles less in less than half the minutes. Couldn't give a shit about his "aggression" only care about quantity and quality and that was totally non existent in his game tonight.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Warriors are the only other team in history to not receive a penalty in a full game
Didn't know that mate but I am not surprised. I still remember them getting ripped off by c.sutton for a mythical forward pass vs Parramatta at bankwest in 2019.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A weird one and I’m still trying to comprehend what happened

Ffs

Stevche Kat

Waterboy
Reaction score
That needs to be fixed straight away.
Later in the game I can put it down to fatigue but the Safiti tries were school boy stuff.

Unfortunately I believe we need to play at our best for 80 to win games where 40 is probably enough for others.
Edge defence was terrible

That said if it can fixed even slightly .. we actually
Only conceded two more more tries than the.. would've been one had katoa scored

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In terms of attack I thought we looked much better than we have throughout the Pay/Hasler era...even with the limited ball we had. Flanno's first try assist was right out of the Cleary playbook. I feel pretty confident that Baz will turn him into a premiership winning halfback for us. He had a great game and should be proud of his effort tonight.

Avo was very quiet tonight. His kicking game was pretty good (his kicks are very accurate) but he needs to be a threat with ball in hand. SOS Burton

Allen was also quiet tonight. He was good in the trials so I'm putting it down to one of those nights.

Cummins was fucking fantastic...for Newy. Whatever they paid him isn't enough. Bloke deserves a bonus for that. How the fuck can we be that bad and yet Newcastle were perfect? Those set restarts raped us. I have no doubt if we had 50-50 possession we would have been in the game until the last 5 minutes and probably would have won that game.

Napa, DWZ and Hoppa....I still get the shits seeing these plodders in a Bulldogs jersey. Yes I'm over the moon that Lewis and Tolman are gonski but seeing these plodders still in the team is a sad reminder that as long as they're playing FG we will suck. You can't afford to have that many plodders in your team and expect to do anything in this comp. I know they're on big coin but that doesnt mean they deserve to be playing FG every week. If they keep this shit up they need to be dropped

Deitz was exposed through the middle. I know he's got speed but if he can't tackle, what's the point? Kotoa got run down by Watson even though he had a 10 metre headstart. :sob: :sob: :sob:. FMD, we missed JMK tonight. At least he can tackle and we would have scored that try that Kotoa bombed.

Our forward pack needs a couple of hard nosed forwards.

While the scoreline was awful I think with an even flow of possession we'll be competitive in most games this year...but unless we can fix our defence and our forwards can aim up, it's going to be another long year. Hopefully these performances don't scare off any potential new recruits like Staggs or Piakura

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disappointing to lose but sounds like some positive signs and plenty of negative ones to come out of game one. I'm glad I didn't get to watch the game as I don't have Fox but was able to watch last year via the NRL Live Pass as a Telstra Customer but they've done away with that this year. That sucks! Looks like more trips to my local to watch the non free to air games this year. We're still a work in progress and there are some very good signs from the Mounties game earlier. Napa needs to be traded off before June 30 for us to have any possible chance of making the 8. With so many new players it will take time for the team to gel and it is only round one after all. Can't tip against the dog's in my footy comp but knew we were going to struggle once I heard Ben Cummins was referee. Heard post match on the radio that the penalty count was 5-0 to Newcastle. Don't know why but we hardly ever win when he's ref. Must hate the Bulldogs and was the same referee who cost the Raiders a Grand Final and gifted the Rorters another GF win.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Watching Parra makes our result look better at least we started positively and showed good signs in attack.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a good athlete but he isn't physically dominant enough be be a starting prop. Workrate is poor...Ogden made double the runs with 10 less minutes, Renouf made 3 tackles less in less than half the minutes...his workrate just isn't there and hasn't ever been.

I don't rate him and wouldn't have signed him, needed a more dominant body to partner Thompson in the frontrow and that has always been my preference.
Take your point that Hetho isn’t the big body we need to make those big meters but I think you will see his work rate improve and he will become an asset. I noticed he threw a couple of swinging arms that missed the mark and can definitely see a suspension on the horizon. Some blokes can never learn discipline and I hope his not one of those

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Physically inferior forward pack, weird defensive decisions, us playing with a single half in attack and a dumb fuck ref making dumb fuck calls.
Pretty much

Flanno and Avo gon take time to get that chemistry

Those conceded tries were training runs that was disappointing compounded by a biased fkn ref

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Pretty much

Flanno and Avo gon take time to get that chemistry

Those conceded tries were training runs that was disappointing compounded by a biased fkn ref
Allan and Averillo were non existent..thought that they would be on either side of Flanagan but were mostly in back play not being involved. Jake had 1 run all game...like wtf did we do all preseason lol.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dylan Napa...
Give him a dose of Ritalin and usb him into my solar powered calculator and we still wouldn't add up.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some positives particularly in the first 30min. Best kicking game (first half) in about 2 years. Ava and Flanagan showed promise. Knights were good, our handling at times woeful and ref made it tough. We’ll be right going forward.