Rona in line for Kiwi debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogboom

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
CANTERBURY winger and the NRL’s equal-leading try-scorer – Curtis Rona – is on New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney’s radar for the Kiwis’ end-of-season tour of England.

Rona tells RLW that Kearney has encouraged him to keep going the way he’s going – which is pretty good considering he has scored 16 tries this season.
Parramatta winger Semi Radradra drew level with Rona in last weekend’s round, but the Eels have the bye this weekend so Rona has the chance to go back on top alone when the Bulldogs play Brisbane at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

“It would be a massive achievement for me if I made the squad at the end of the year,” Rona says.
“The coach spoke to me and said I was in the mix. He has given me a little bit of encouragement, but I know it’s hard to make a squad like that.
“It would be a big honour to tour, but playing NRL every week and being consistent is my main goal at the moment. If I get selected for the tour it’s a big bonus.”
Rona is tall and solidly built, so he can match the bigger opposing wingers physically.

But he has also got that athletic ability to score the freakish, seemingly impossible tries the best wingers are becoming known for in the NRL.
“It’s good to be athletic and physical – in attack and defence,” he says.
“I’m lucky I’ve got a bit of height and size on me, but you’ve got to be smart too and know you’re surroundings out there. You have to find ways to score and I’m stoked that I’m getting a lot of game-time.”

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Very well deserved if he gets it and I hope he does get it!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope he gets plenty of ball today, him and Morris combine beautifully, he will get representative duties at the end of the year for sure, I was wondering where he would fit in.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A few years ago and Rona would walk straight into the Kiwi team but now with the number quality players and the team performing so well of late it would be hard for Rona. I dont see him taking Vatuvei's spot on the left wing who has been performing so well in Tests but i reckon it would definitely be an upgrade.

This would be the strongest kiwi backline ive seen in Years. They already have a great spine and forward pack. They are just one quality center away from matching Australia on Paper. Good Luck England.

RTS
Rona
Whare
SKD
DWZ

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A few years ago and Rona would walk straight into the Kiwi team but now with the number quality players and the team performing so well of late it would be hard for Rona. I dont see him taking Vatuvei's spot on the left wing who has been performing so well in Tests but i reckon it would definitely be an upgrade.

This would be the strongest kiwi backline ive seen in Years. They already have a great spine and forward pack. They are just one quality center away from matching Australia on Paper. Good Luck England.

RTS
Rona
Whare
SKD
DWZ
Replace SKD with the beast Vatuvei and that's the best backline they will have in my opinion.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on him. Afaik, being raised in wa means he can't play soo. . Think he'd do well for nz.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't know he was a Kiwi.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Rona > the turnstile Radradradradradradradradradra.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would pick him before skd even if it's in the centres lol

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Didn't know he was a Kiwi.
He's from Perth. He's one of the very few NRL players who is eligible to play for both the Kangaroos and Kiwis but not for NSW or QLD.
I tell you what he would have been better on Wednesday than Styrofoam Hopoate

lafai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably will get picked in the extended team

Status
Not open for further replies.