Roland Printer- Print Head Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi ,

I have a question for anyone familiar with the Roland Printer.

My Roland Printer VS 640 Print Head needs replacing but rather than spend money on a costly exercise of getting a technician ($6,000) to replace the print head, im thinking of doing it my self.

For anyone who's familiar with Plotters or printers in general, are there any risks that I could cause further damage to my machine?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seems pretty straight forward but as with anything, take caution. If you're comfortable working with basic electronics (building computers for example) then it shouldn't be too hard. Otherwise it may be best to get someone else to do it. It's your usual electronics work. Removing printer cables, screws, etc. Just have to make sure that you're grounded so you don't fry the PCBs, preferably wear gloves, follow the instructions, take photos after each step so you know how it all goes back together.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Never tried it myself though but the youtube videos and instructions seem pretty straight forward.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That's not a cheap printer either....

$30k out of the wallet!!

Understandable why they charge so much, but $6000 in excessive.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seems pretty straight forward but as with anything, take caution. If you're comfortable working with basic electronics (building computers for example) then it shouldn't be too hard. Otherwise it may be best to get someone else to do it. It's your usual electronics work. Removing printer cables, screws, etc. Just have to make sure that you're grounded so you don't fry the PCBs, preferably wear gloves, follow the instructions, take photos after each step so you know how it all goes back together.
Thanks for the advice.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's not a cheap printer either....

$30k out of the wallet!!

Understandable why they charge so much, but $6000 in excessive.
Yeah, thats the total cost of having the Roland Certifed tech to come up and get it replaced which includes Travel,Labour and the Print head plus accessories...

Thinking I could save $4,000 by replacing it myself..

Reaction score
Hi ,

My Roland Printer VS 640 Print Head needs replacing but rather than spend money on a costly exercise of getting a technician ($6,000) to replace the print head, im thinking of doing it my self.

For anyone who's familiar with Plotters or printers in general, are there any risks that I could cause further damage to my machine?

hey mate, i've got a roland printer too.
i've done maintenance myself in the past, but now i get the technician to do all that stuff because it works out cheaper in the long run.
there are a few things that can go wrong, so it's better to leave that in the hands of someone that does that profesionally.
it's also worth the cost of a technician to get the warranty and 12 month protection that that offers.
cost is not steep when you consider the down time is low and you can be back printing straight away.
if you're confident you can do it yourself, go for it. If not, i'd recommend getting the machine back online as soon as possible and process a job or 2 and you'll cover the costs that way

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i've done maintenance myself in the past, but now i get the technician to do all that stuff because it works out cheaper in the long run.
there are a few things that can go wrong, so it's better to leave that in the hands of someone that does that profesionally.
it's also worth the cost of a technician to get the warranty and 12 month protection that that offers.
cost is not steep when you consider the down time is low and you can be back printing straight away.
if you're confident you can do it yourself, go for it. If not, i'd recommend getting the machine back online as soon as possible and process a job or 2 and you'll cover the costs that way
Thanks man,what you say is very true, its just that im based on an island east of mainland Papua New Guine so I have to wait for the tech to arrive from Australia which is in about a couple of weeks time.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
6DABDF90-6B51-46C8-9313-1AC96A7CDAC6.jpeg
Hi ,

These lads as usual can fix or fuck anything

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So the rest is paying for the Roland printer tech to have a nice holiday in a beachfront resort in PNG?

Hi Maurice

The price to repair your printer is as follows – in AUD:

$2,774.50 1 x Print Head

$492.80 4 x Dampers

$129.80 1 x Maintenance Kit

$2,400.00 Labour (two days – including travel time)

$440.00 Part airfare, Visa fees to Port Moresby

$6,237.10 TOTAL (in AUD)

I also have to pay another for his return Ticket from Port Moresby to the island where I am and back .

Status
Not open for further replies.