Rogers 'was' close to being a Bulldog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-being-a-bulldog/story-e6frexnr-1225913544230

MAT Rogers can't help but ponder what might've been.
"Not many people know this, but Canterbury actually made me a much better offer than Cronulla to play rugby league [in 1994]," the retiring veteran revealed.

"The Sharks offered about $4000 and the Bulldogs something like $10,000."

With a surname synonymous with the Shire club, Rogers opted for the Sharks - but his reasons weren't purely sentimental.

"No mate," he said

"To tell you the truth I'm just no good with foreign places.

"I'd never lived around Canterbury, so I was bit worried about getting around.

"That's why I took less money and signed for the Sharks.

"But it was a bit hard to swallow when Canterbury won the comp the next year [in 1995] and I'm still searching for a premiership now."

In arguably the best form of his career on the Gold Coast, Rogers has a month left to avoid joining former Sharks teammate Andrew Ettingshausen as one of the true rugby league greats never to win a title.

Late Mail: all the ins and outs for NRL round 26

He ranks Cronulla's preliminary final loss to St George Illawarra in 1999 as the hardest moment to swallow, after the minor premiers blew an 8-0 lead when they were just 40 minutes away from the decider.

"It took me years to get over that," Rogers confessed.

"But at least there was a funny aftermath.

"Back at Sharkies Leagues this car draped in Dragons gear was doing laps of the carpark abusing us.

"They were so busy yelling, they crashed straight into a fence. It lifted a few spirits."

With an injury toll longer than his tattooist's appointment list, there's been plenty of times Rogers has needed cheering up as well.

The 34-year-old guessed he's been under the knife no less than 15 times and rated his first shoulder reconstruction as a defining moment.

"I had it done after my first year in grade and it was agony," he recalled.

"I told my brother [Donny] that if I ever had to go through that again, then I'd retire.

"Funnily enough I had the same thing done seven years later and it didn't seem to hurt as much."

Ironically Rogers is in doubt for tonight's crucial clash against Wests Tigers at Skilled Park with a painful hip pointer injury.

"Probably the only injury I've never had until now."

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
Interesting...

He is playing some good footy this year..

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a career, only a handful of stars could reach the heights he has.

I remember him scoring some great tries during the 2000 WC.

[FKN-SIK]

Gigidy Gigidy
Reaction score
Even though he has never played for us, he is one of those players that I have always liked

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
[FKN-SIK];2250981 said:
Even though he has never played for us, he is one of those players that I have always liked

+1

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
wow. 10k was good? when did players start getting in the 100's of thousands... that was only about ten / fifteen years back!

My dad was telling me that most footy players had full time jobs before aswell.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
ahahaha I seriously thought this was going to be about the Dogs making Ben Rogers an offer. I could believe it you know.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
ahahaha I seriously thought this was going to be about the Dogs making Ben Rogers an offer. I could believe it you know.
GOD, JESUS, MOHAMMED, MOSES, BUDDHA, VISHNU, WHATEVER HOLLYWOOD GOD IS "IN" THIS MONTH, FORBID!!!

I'd rather an amputee monkey with poor vision in our halves than Ben Rogers.

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
Ohhh god no. The day we sign Ben Rogers is the day Greenburg's brain has melted..

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
interesting..

dont know if it is still the case but he drank like a fish and was a chain smoker back in the day!

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
wow. 10k was good? when did players start getting in the 100's of thousands... that was only about ten / fifteen years back!

My dad was telling me that most footy players had full time jobs before aswell.
I remember back in the Winfield Cup when they upgraded their graphics, after a player scored a try they listed there age, weight and occupation... lol

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
it's interesting how these things come back after several years to be revealed... wasnt kimmorley originally going to play for us back then also before he played for hunter mariners? i think Chris anderson was interested in him from then and nearly lured him to us in 96 or 97?

i wonder how many other players were close to psinging / playing for us??

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
it's interesting how these things come back after several years to be revealed... wasnt kimmorley originally going to play for us back then also before he played for hunter mariners? i think Chris anderson was interested in him from then and nearly lured him to us in 96 or 97?

i wonder how many other players were close to psinging / playing for us??
Yup he was pretty much coming to the dogs. It was going to be Scott Hill and Noddy Combo until Anderson left after 1997 and lured both of them down to Melbourne

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
this bit made me laugh

"But at least there was a funny aftermath.

"Back at Sharkies Leagues this car draped in Dragons gear was doing laps of the carpark abusing us.

"They were so busy yelling, they crashed straight into a fence. It lifted a few spirits."

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL he didn't come to Belmore because there were too much Lebs and wogs.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.