News Robodebt Royal Commission

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Absolutely.

As someone who has suffered mental health issues personally, I can see how damaging that would have been.

Out of all the potential stressors out there, financial stress is probably the hardest to resolve, because the only way to clear it, is by obtaining money.

Hence why I can certainly understand people possibly taknig their lives over it, because they felt they had no other choice.

Making matters worse is that this sort of thing was impacting the most vulnerable and financially under stress members of society.

Sorry to hear what you went through, sounds like a horrible experience.

I'm thankful that (at least to date), everything with Centrelink for me has been pretty good, and they have actually been really good throughout my treatment and return to work.
Yeah man, the whole thing was pretty fucked up. It was a major pain in the butt for me… but for some people it was completely soul destroying.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
They hit me up for $2k because they reckon that i hadn't declared the right amount of money I had made even though I proved them wrong they still hit me with the debt. I was hounded by centrelink and then debt collectors as I refused to pay it knowing it was wrong. I eventually got the shits and paid it after non stop harassment from the debt collectors.

I was notified by a lawyers office in Melbourne that are taking class action against the Government to get all money owed back to the people. I know it's only $2k, but it's my $2k fair and square that was taken from a falsified debt.
So the above quote is from another thread and about how i was labelled with a Robodebt. I did eventually get my money back, but the constant harassment prior by centrelink and the debt collectors was somewhat uncalled for and caused unnecessary stress to myself.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So the above quote is from another thread and about how i was labelled with a Robodebt.
Absolute mess of a scheme. They were incorrectly charging people, then they charged a 10% recovery fee on top to many who were falsly charged. Now the minister at the time has admitted that he knew there were problems with the scheme.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolute mess of a scheme. They were incorrectly charging people, then they charged a 10% recovery fee on top to many who were falsly charged. Now the minister at the time has admitted that he knew there were problems with the scheme.
It was a complete clusterfuck in the end. The mismanaging by the incompetent fools is just eyebrow raising.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was a complete clusterfuck in the end. The mismanaging by the incompetent fools is just eyebrow raising.
There is evidence that the causative factors come down to things beyond mere incompetence and mismanagement. This isn't a hindsight "oh geez we done goofed" thing. There were at least some internal voices pointing out the problems, and plenty of external ones. They were ignored, even the very sensible neutral well evidenced ones.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Looks very much like wholesale collusion and the suspicion of public servants at every level, prepared to do whatever it took to keep on side, progress to the next step on the ladder and be damned the consequences no matter the legality. Porter admitting today that basically several sub-sections and provision of the Social Services Act was broken to get Robodebt operating and had he known he regretted he didn't act sooner. Even after being advised of suicides and people selling their houses to repay bogus incorrect debts, no one sought to question it's legal basis in a meaningful way. They all just kept covering their ears singing la la la la I can't hear you.

In 2014 legal advice said income averaging was not a legal basis for raising a debt. They then ignored all attempts by constitutional lawyers, Professors, private law firms which the Human Serviices Dept they themselves engaged, seminars and conferences where keynote speakers told dept heads it was illegal. Another set of formal advice given in 2017 saying it was illegal and that too was ignored. Some boffins met about it and it got to Draft action status but that remedy/action was then mysteriously/wilfully? ignored.

If anybody at all, politician or APS, had been competent, had some empathy or ethics, the scheme would have been stopped 2 years prior ...how many lives could have been saved God only knows.

It seems systemic "it wasn't my job, " I don't recall", "I'll have to take that on notice". Just shameful malfeasance all round.

This shows deep flaws in our system of Govt. It's exposed so much about yes men/women, plausible denial, bias governing and yet it also warns any Govt, especially the current and subsequent ones, that there are consequences and that exposure of wrong-doing is on the cards. Already it seems appropriate that wholesale sackings of APS need to happen....(as if you could easily get rid of them lol...some earning $900,000).

It leaves you with no confidence that we have any competent people running the country. Change must happen. They all have cognitive impairment and happy to turn a blind eye to wrong doing. The opportunity for graft and illegalities in this atmosphere is rampant.

The findings of this Commission will blow the lid off Canberra but, as per most RC, the real crooks will get away with it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looks very much like wholesale collusion and the suspicion of public servants at every level, prepared to do whatever it took to keep on side, progress to the next step on the ladder and be damned the consequences no matter the legality. Porter admitting today that basically several sub-sections and provision of the Social Services Act was broken to get Robodebt operating and had he known he regretted he didn't act sooner. Even after being advised of suicides and people selling their houses to repay bogus incorrect debts, no one sought to question it's legal basis in a meaningful way. They all just kept covering their ears singing la la la la I can't hear you.

In 2014 legal advice said income averaging was not a legal basis for raising a debt. They then ignored all attempts by constitutional lawyers, Professors, private law firms which the Human Serviices Dept they themselves engaged, seminars and conferences where keynote speakers told dept heads it was illegal. Another set of formal advice given in 2017 saying it was illegal and that too was ignored. Some boffins met about it and it got to Draft action status but that remedy/action was then mysteriously/wilfully? ignored.

If anybody at all, politician or APS, had been competent, had some empathy or ethics, the scheme would have been stopped 2 years prior ...how many lives could have been saved God only knows.

It seems systemic "it wasn't my job, " I don't recall", "I'll have to take that on notice". Just shameful malfeasance all round.

This shows deep flaws in our system of Govt. It's exposed so much about yes men/women, plausible denial, bias governing and yet it also warns any Govt, especially the current and subsequent ones, that there are consequences and that exposure of wrong-doing is on the cards. Already it seems appropriate that wholesale sackings of APS need to happen....(as if you could easily get rid of them lol...some earning $900,000).

It leaves you with no confidence that we have any competent people running the country. Change must happen. They all have cognitive impairment and happy to turn a blind eye to wrong doing. The opportunity for graft and illegalities in this atmosphere is rampant.

The findings of this Commission will blow the lid off Canberra but, as per most RC, the real crooks will get away with it.
Unfortunately consequences will be few and far between because the guilty parties will have cronies in the roles that are meant to decide on the consequences.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Unfortunately consequences will be few and far between because the guilty parties will have cronies in the roles that are meant to decide on the consequences.
Guess so. Need to focus on exposing these shocking examples of collusion between APS and Govt so at least these crooks know it will be prosecuted and there is someone, some regulatory body that can, and will stop these illegalities.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This guy from Price Waterhouse lol. They got a million dollar contract from DHS to investigate the legality of Robodebt. Couldn't recall from whom. There is no letter, email, text nothing. Worked on it for several months. Never liased with anyone at all from DHS to get info to help prepare it. Found out from no one that the report was not needed anymore. Didn't have any contact with anyone confirming this and just mysteriously the million dollar outstanding was paid with no paperwork apparently. Unbelievable. There is something drasticly wrong with Govt tendering/purchasing procedures lol
1/3

2/3

3/3

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Reason for Royal Commission for those interested. If not, interested, please just block me bc I will be providing updates in this thread as RC continues. You may feel triggered or upset. It is quite upsetting.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Robodebt Royal Commission is hearing damning evidence of public sector dysfunction. Now it must probe the question of culture
This particular article actually makes me think we need to look at media ownership laws again. Given that this thread has shown that plenty of people still don't know what the problem with robodebt was, it's a bit of a spotlight on the fact that our media isn't particularly great at reporting issues.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This particular article actually makes me think we need to look at media ownership laws again. Given that this thread has shown that plenty of people still don't know what the problem with robodebt was, it's a bit of a spotlight on the fact that our media isn't particularly great at reporting issues.
There is absolutely minimal media coverage of this Royal Commission. That in itself points to a cover up or minimisation of the seriousness of this illegality. Tudge's 2ic explaining how she gave her PR notes to right wing media to bag complainants and Labor whinging tells the story.

Juliar's renovations got more coverage lol.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe there’s no media coverage because everyone understands it’s just weak Albo trying to fire a pot shot at an ex-PM and will achieve nothing but symbolism like the rest of his short time at the top. I’m so grateful for the Twitter links from bored grandmas though because I’ve really been on the edge of my seat