Roberts stays in the doghouse as Canterbury rule out switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldawg

bulldog
Reaction score
FORMER New Zealand international Ben Roberts has all but ruled out a midseason move from Canterbury to another club, saying the Bulldogs have told him they will not grant him a release to reignite his NRL career elsewhere. The five-eighth is stuck in NSW Cup and has not played a first-grade game this season, with Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore preferring Kris Keating to partner Trent Hodkinson in the halves.

What is Canterbury's trash would be the treasure of a rival club such as Cronulla, who have admitted they are looking to strengthen their squad in mid-season. Roberts, 25, was one of the players targeted by the Sharks but the former Kiwis playmaker said yesterday he was resigned to staying at Canterbury and waiting patiently for a top-grade opportunity.

''I've pretty much convinced myself that I'm not going anywhere,'' Roberts told ABC Radio. ''[Bulldogs CEO] Todd Greenberg has made it clear to myself and my manager that he wants to keep me there for depth, just in case something does go wrong in the side.

''If there is an injury, it's always handy to have someone else there to fill in and get the job done.''

Roberts said he had not given up hope of playing again for New Zealand, which he last represented in 2007, even though he had since donned a Samoa jersey at international level. He remains upbeat despite languishing in second grade, and insisted he did not resent the Bulldogs going shopping for new halves late last year.

''I had a setback last year with a pretty bad injury, and Kevin Moore has … given Kris Keating the first crack at it. Kris is doing well, why change a winning side?'' Roberts said. ''After he [signed] Keating and Hodkinson, [Moore] sat down and actually told me before it got out in the press.

''He pretty much just said, 'It's good to have that kind of pressure behind you to keep you on your toes.' I was just unlucky that I haven't been given first crack but I'm not going to feel sorry for myself or be kicking stones or whatever.

''I'm just trying to concentrate on what is ahead for me, and that is playing good footy week-in week-out in NSW Cup and trying to get myself up there [in contention].''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-out-switch-20110508-1eeaw.html#ixzz1Lnc6WX6H

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
Haha – has not played a first grade game this season. How hard is it to research before writing an article?

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like the part where he wants to play for NZ again.

I can certainly see him ousting the current Golden boot and NZ captain Benji Marshall out of a jersey /sarcasm.

TAHU

Captain
Reaction score
Haha – has not played a first grade game this season. How hard is it to research before writing an article?
whats so funny

he actually hasnt played a first grade game this season ...

he was on the bench for game 1 but dropped before kick off

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
whats so funny

He played 7 minutes in round 1.

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
whats so funny

He played off the bench in round 1 against the Tigers - that is still classed as playing a first grade game this year.

[FKN-SIK]

Gigidy Gigidy
Reaction score
<facepalm>

whats so funny

</facepalm>

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish Moore would give him a run, he should be on the bench for friday, we need that extra creativity.
Glad Greenburg wants to hold onto him.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He could make an impact off the bench if given a chance.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The thing with paying him off the bench is we lose a forward like halatau. I think halatau will provide more to the team then roberts will in 10-15 mins.

But in saying thats Millington might be out so opens up the door for a new player on the bench. Would you rather roberts or someone like kasiano or hodgo?

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing with paying him off the bench is we lose a forward like halatau. I think halatau will provide more to the team then roberts will in 10-15 mins.

But in saying thats Millington might be out so opens up the door for a new player on the bench. Would you rather roberts or someone like kasiano or hodgo?

Kasiano is still learning and needs to stay in NSW cup to improve, Hogo i think coming back from the faint situation needs maybe a bit more time in NSW cup.. He is about to crack the 200 Mark so i think we should let him play in FG to get 200.. when i dont know?

But in saying that i think roberts will be a great person to put on the bench if Millington is out injured.. That way Halatau can play in the forwards and roberts can be the utility

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am impressed by Roberts' response. He did not rubbish the club. He has taken it on the chin, and is waiting for his opportunity. He has won me over.

Give the bloke a run and see how he goes.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad Greenburg wants to hold onto him.
Well for this year he does, yes. If KK or Hodko got injured during the finals or whatever he would likely get the call up, so he is good to have about.

As for next season i dont think we will keep him around just to play NSW cup.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I am impressed by Roberts' response. He did not rubbish the club. He has taken it on the chin, and is waiting for his opportunity. He has won me over.

Give the bloke a run and see how he goes.
Agreed. Very impressed with the way he has been handling it, and it's for his own benefit anyway.

I really hope we get to see him play some games this year.

P

Paint.

TBH I think he's actually burning inside, but doesn't wanna put any bad press on the Dogs.

bullpup71

Kennel Established
Reaction score
no old man hodgo he mite pass out

Status
Not open for further replies.