Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Is this legit? I figured someone here would know if it was or not.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
how do you change teams? i don't understand aha

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That 2009 Bulldogs jersey right there has to be our worst ever Home jersey.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i almost changed to the south queensland crushers tbh, they were building to something ffs

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like this! I kind of want to fill it out. Would be a short list though… Charlotte Hornets- Reason for leaving: Some moron called the knew charlotte team the Bobcats. Team LBJ: They brought me my Hornets back.

In all seriousness Bandwagoners are only marginally worse than Lakers and Celtics fans in my eyes. It must be really tough to support a team that has won almost half the championships in NBA History between them. Patriots fans are just as bad too...

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like this! I kind of want to fill it out. Would be a short list though… Charlotte Hornets- Reason for leaving: Some moron called the knew charlotte team the Bobcats. Team LBJ: They brought me my Hornets back.
LOL I'm no NBA fan, however really loved the original NBA Jam back on the Sega Mega-Drive. I used to play that game religiously. The team I always played with was the Charlotte Hornets.

Fast forward to when the recent NBA Jam came out, I was looking for my Charlotte Hornets to find out they'd been renamed to the Bobcats... WTF! I didn't know if I should play as Charlotte or New Orleans.

Good to see they're back as the Hornets again. BTW super LOL at New Orleans Pelicans! What were they thinking?

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fast forward to when the recent NBA Jam came out, I was looking for my Charlotte Hornets to find out they'd been renamed to the Bobcats... WTF! I didn't know if I should play as Charlotte or New Orleans.
Your in luck as they are changing their name back to the hornets. I just found that out then lol

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
who the **** would want to support the roosters!?!?

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOL I'm no NBA fan, however really loved the original NBA Jam back on the Sega Mega-Drive. I used to play that game religiously. The team I always played with was the Charlotte Hornets.

Good to see they're back as the Hornets again. BTW super LOL at New Orleans Pelicans! What were they thinking?
Not a NBA fan but followed Charlotte hornets when I was a young fella around 94 and used to collect basketball cards!!! And u cannot be serious about New Orleans pelicans lol wtf? Who would approve that name let alone think of it!

Croc

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In all fairness he does look retarded! Even more so than Maloney in that pic

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
I was a hornets fan till they changed so I went to celtics

Everyone else was a bulls or lakers fan

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Been a Spurs fan since David Robinson was playing.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't follow the NBA, but in following the NFL closely, do read quite a bit of American sports writing. They didn't really "rename" the Charlotte Hornets to the Charlotte Bobcats.

Originally, the name Hornets was chosen for the Charlotte team because of some old Civil War (or US War of Independence?) saying that attacking the city was like walking into a hornets' nest. Pretty impressive local name.

The Hornets left Charlotte in 2002 and moved to New Orleans and played as New Orleans Hornets for about ten years.

In the meantime, a new team started in Charlotte and called itself the Bobcats (one version of why this name was chosen was as simple as "the owner was called Bob". Seriously.)

After a few years (and a change of ownership) the owner of the New Orleans Hornets decided the name wasn't appropriate for the city. The Hornets name was so tied to Charlotte that it wasn't right for New Orleans. The official state bird of Louisiana is the pelican, hence the New Orleans Pelicans. The Pelicans name is a bit dorky, but at least it's a good local fit.

After the Pelicans had ditched the old Hornets name, the new Charlotte team decided it was a hell of a lot better than Bobcats, so they then took on the new(old?) name.

Basketball has a couple of oddities. The Minneapolis Lakers were so called because of where the played - around the Great Lakes. When they moved to LA, the name stuck even though it made no geographic sense. Likewise the New Orleans Jazz makes sense, given the city's musical ties. Moving to Utah, the Jazz name stuck, even though Mormon-central is surely the least Jazzy place on Earth. Interestingly, before settling on Pelicans, the New Orleans owners did try to negotatiate to get the name Jazz back, but after 30 years or so, Utah was keen to keep it.

The NFL has been a bit better at ditching names when they've become geographically meaningless. The Dallas Texans became the Kansas City Chiefs when they left Texas and the Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Titans when they left the oil-rich state too. All they need now is to make a final decision on the mounting pressure against the amazingly racist Redskins name...

Status
Not open for further replies.