RIP Neil Howsen (AKA "Wardy") ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
RIP Neil. I'm shocked. Had no idea he was sick.

Spoke to him here and there at Cup matches and at the club in the sports bar a couple of times over the years. Lovely guy.
Yes. Even to those who knew it was not any easier to accept.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well, went along with many others today to Palmdale Memorial Gardens to farewell one of our own. A private viewing gave those who wished, a final chance to say a more personal farewell. Beautifully done and well received.

"Wardy" is finally at rest after a touching service to remember his life and it was terrific to see so many there. Capacity of the chapel; 80 and all seats were occupied leaving many standing. Family, along with friends and workmates listened intently as we learned a little bit more about the life of this very affable young man. And he was young too, about 4 months shy of his 41st birthday. Loved his sport. Loved his family. Was loved by everyone who knew him.

At least a dozen decked out in Dogs jerseys, others in club polo shirts or clutching Bulldogs scarfs, along with a couple of Bulldogs club representatives and Cricket Australia representatives. The coffin draped with a Bulldogs pennant, a Bulldogs cap and cricket shirt. On a stand to the left of the coffin a framed, fully signed 2016 jersey given to Neil by the Club not long before he passed. Neil would have certainly approved with the memorial.

The service was short and sweet ; Louis Armstrong " It's a wonderful world" to accompany our moment of reflection bought many to tears. The Lords prayer recited by all.

The final musical piece was fittingly Tina Turner "Simply the best" played as the curtains drew to a close. Tears of sorrow for the loss but relief that he was finally at peace and no longer suffering.

About the only thing missing.......the chants of "Bulldogs, Bulldogs". Probably there though in the hearts and minds of those who shared his love of the Bulldogs, I know it was in mine.....

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Neil being laid to rest this Thursday and a group of us are going to pay our final respects. We will all be wearing our Doggies jerseys in his honour.
Was terrific to see the boys wearing black armbands on Friday night and the NSW Cup boys on Sunday. Most of the boys knew him, particularly the NSW Cup players and the ones who came through our juniors and I believe a couple of them will be there at his funeral. I don't know what was said exactly (because I don't watch Nine.)but I have been told Channel Nine even gave him a mention at half time of the footy. Still can't believe he is gone.......
Yeah mate, Rabs mentioned it the other night and the boys wore black arm bands for him, it was a nice touch to be honest.

I hate seeing people look so unwell mate, that's hard to see but I'm sure anyone who's seen someone go through the final stages of cancer have seen something similar, sucks big time.

Hope he didn't suffer too much.

Fuck Cancer!!

RIP Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.