Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D0ggyStylz

A mate emailed me this....

Ricko's nightclub ban
By Adam Hawse
January 23, 2005

LUKE Ricketson has made his first mark on the Sydney Roosters as captain, asking players to stay out of nightclubs and away from the booze.

Ricketson, who has taken over from Brad Fittler, spoke to the players this month and asked for their focus to be on the round one clash with Souths.

Part of this included players toning down their night lives until after the first trial against Parramatta on February 19.

"When you're coming off Christmas and New Year your head is still focused on the good times more than round one, which is now the most important thing for us," Ricketson said.

"The idea of having a bit of time away from the partying was pretty much to concentrate on our footy and we're training six days a week. We just can't afford to be out and about."

Ricketson was quick to point out it was not a blanket alcohol ban and exceptions were made for events such as weddings.

"The good thing was everyone understood and was ready to do it," Ricketson said.

"It isn't so much the effects of alcohol, it's more just getting our minds on training and getting our heads out of Christmas, New Year."

After being named as Fittler's successor, Ricketson has led by example at training and has added 3kg to his frame after some heavy sessions in the gym.

Taking over from a man who led the team to three straight grand finals was never an easy task.

"The discipline Freddie instilled in the club will still be there, but I'll play a different role to what he did," Ricketson said.

Just 4 days later:

Football and fun for Luke

January 27, 2005

Luke Ricketson has done his fair share of nightclubbing.

But with the new responsibility of the Sydney Roosters captaincy this year, he made the decision to lay off that particular pastime and advised his teammates to do the same.

So it was with some surprise that Ricko was out doing the opposite on Tuesday night with fellow footy glamour boy Anthony Minichiello at Will and Toby's in Darlinghurst.

The 31-year-old former international, who's long held a reputation as a bit of a playboy thanks in part to a string of relationships with women including Jessica Rowe, Deni Hines and Johanna Griggs, was hanging out in the trendy bar past 1am and at one stage was spotted dancing on a couch.

Strange considering just a few days ago Ricko told a Sunday newspaper that kind of behaviour was off the cards for he and his team during their pre-season training.

"When you're coming off Christmas and New Year your head is still focused on the good times more than round one, which is now the most important thing for us," Ricketson said.

"The idea of having a bit of time away from partying was pretty much to concentrate on our footy and we're training six days a week. We just can't afford to be out and about."

Talk about a captain leading by example

P

Politician

They are setting the benchmark and obviously Ricketson is bringing in some special Rooster innovations.... (Read today's paper about the Roosters being innovators for beach training)

D

Danish

I think its so stupid to have alcohol bans etc.

Everyone knows footy players got on the sauce, and go crazy. Thats just them. Its never effected any of the greats.

Ricko has put his foot in it big time, haha! Hopefully the club sees it as poor leadership and hands the captaincy to someone else

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Danish said:
I think its so stupid to have alcohol bans etc.

Everyone knows footy players got on the sauce, and go crazy. Thats just them. Its never effected any of the greats.

Ricko has put his foot in it big time, haha! Hopefully the club sees it as poor leadership and hands the captaincy to someone else
Yeah.. give it to Chis Walker he is a better role model LOL

saf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Danish said:
Maybe Finch, now that would be funny the drop goal before half time king LOL

Bulldog Power

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah who would want ricko the big p^&f as captain

much sooner be giving it fitzgibbon or flannery (with eye to future)

D

Danish

Keefy said:
Yeah.. give it to Chis Walker he is a better role model LOL
At least walker doesnt pretend to be something hes not. He's a dick. We know it, and he knows it :D

D

Danish

Bulldog Power said:
yeah who would want ricko the big p^&f as captain

much sooner be giving it fitzgibbon or flannery (with eye to future)
Exactly. This move of making Ricko captain could well have lost the roosters Flannery. He now has to start off the bench AGAIN when he is superior to Ricko. He's off contract this year and shabby treatment like that wont do us any favours come june 30

spannaforce

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would hate to be a high profile sports person nowadays. No matter what u do, it will get reported. They can't lead normal lives, what is wrong with Ricko going out for a drink? Isn't that what guys do at his age? I cannot stand that Sydney Confidential. It takes three people to write two pages of nothing.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
I don't care if Ricko goes out and has a drink and gets wasted, that's his business and no-one else's. But if he is telling his players not to do it then he must lead by example.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Cammo said:
I don't care if Ricko goes out and has a drink and gets wasted, that's his business and no-one else's. But if he is telling his players not to do it then he must lead by example.

yeah but this is Ricko we are talking about here!!!!

L

Lobo

I always thought it was a very bad decision to make him captain when they announced it last year. He never would of had a clue, and this states it so obviously.

A

atomic_crimson

hypocrite... i reckon fitzgibbon should have got captaincy ayways...

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
K E said:
Chris Walker should be captain.
I say Danish should be captain, He is a good role model..
He never says a bad word about anyone and is far from racist ?

*P.S - Has anyone seen my medication ?*

K

K E

Keefy said:
I say Danish should be captain, He is a good role model..
He never says a bad word about anyone and is far from racist ?
LOL

He would fit in perfect with the roosters.

I wonder why? ;)

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Well said K E :grinning:

Where is little danish today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.