Richard Donner

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hollywood director Richard Donner has died at the age of 91. From the Omen, Goonies to Lethal Weapon, his impact on movie making can not be underestimated. However, it would be his 1978 Superman The Movie which created his greatest legacy. Starring the perfectly cast Christopher Reeve as the titular character, the film would soar into cinemas, and into the hearts of millions. In its wake, not only smashing box office records, but laying down a blueprint for all superhero origin stories to follow. His expertise in this genre would see him produce a number of the much acclaimed X-Me movies.

Such a marvel behind the camera his influence on Hollywood was vast. Thank you Mr Donner for getting this kid to believe a man a can fly!

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Indeed @Mr 95% the first two Superman movies were awesome for their day - I remember watching the rooftop helicopter rescue scene time and time again and although I liked all the Lethal Weapons (less so the final one) - the first one was an absolute cracker. Don't forget Mr. Donner also worked with The Kennel, directing our very own @AlzzBulldog :-).
Alzz_CT_Poster.jpg

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was super excited we got to see his cut of the Original Superman sequel.

What Lester did to his vision is a modern day travesty - only rivaled by what Whedon did to Zacs version of JL.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always enjoyed Richard Donner's films and for anyone that is a Superman fan, his alternate "Superman 2" is worth a watch

Rest in peace
I did not know that existed. Is in on any of the popular viewing platforms, Netflix, Prime etc? I would defiantly sit and watch it.

RIP Richard.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not know that existed. Is in on any of the popular viewing platforms, Netflix, Prime etc? I would defiantly sit and watch it.

RIP Richard.
I have it on DVD... there some alternate scenes (eg. how the Kryptonians are released from the phantom zone, how Lois works out Clark Kent is Superman)

plus, it has a more serious tone than the original Lester version

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

RIP Richard.
Being from Warner Bros I think it’s on HBO Max so if you have an account and VPN that dances geo-fences that might work. In Oz you can BUY it from Amazon Prime for $15 but don’t seem to be able to rent it nor is it included in a regular sub. Or you can buy the BluRay for the same price from Amazon. It’s good and worth the time, has a darker tone that the main version - but not sure if you want the other hassles/cost.

Last edited:

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

RIP Richard.
Did you know RIP is a Christian saying specifically catholic/Latin.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Did he invent the donner kebab?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I couldn't have told you who he was yesterday. I just don't tend to follow the careers of directors etc. But hearing the list of movies he's had a hand in gives me a lot of respect for his career.

91 is a good innings, but he's left the world a legacy of some good movies to remember him by.

RIP richard Donner.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So now I guess there's no chance of lethal weapon 5 ever happening.

Though afer the fourth that's probably for the best.