Rhyse Martin: What I must improve on for NRL return

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rhyse Martin: What I must improve on for NRL return

His omission from the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs side has many fans up in arms but Rhyse Martin has declared he needs to be ‘more aggressive’ if he’s to find himself in the Top 17 in the near future.

Martin enjoyed a breakout season in 2018 and emerged as one of the most exciting young forwards in the competition but has opened the new season with back-to-back games in the Canterbury Cup NSW.

Fans on social media have demanded for Martin to be included in their Round 3 clash against the Wests Tigers after consecutive defeats in the NRL, but the man himself gave a rather frank admission on his absence.

“Defensively, I can be a lot better and it’s something I’m working really hard on but I got to be aggressive,” Martin told NSWRL.com.au.

"Mentally I need to get that in my game and once I find that in my game, I’ll be up there.”

Martin starred for the Bulldogs in their 24-22 loss to the Wentworthville Magpies on Sunday with two tries in a dominant 80-minute performance.

While he boasts explosive power with the ball and a proven goalkicker, the signing of Corey Hawawira-Neara and rise of Raymond Faitala-Marina has ensured plenty of forward depth for coach Dean Pay’s squad.

Many would rue the missed opportunity of playing in first grade but Martin believes it will only fuel his desire to become a better player.

“I think this pre-season has been one of the best for myself but we have a strong squad in the (NRL) Top 30 and I think it’s pushed me out," Martin said.

“We have a lot of good back-rowers there and its making me train harder and its making me a better player, but I still need to work on things in my game.”

With self-improvement on his mind as he patiently waits for another chance, building consistency into his game also remains a priority.

He’s committed to focusing on the positives of the experience as he looks to cement his place in the top-grade sooner rather than later.

"I just got to bide my time, last year was my first year and I played well when I was up there but Deano (Dean Pay) has got his team at the moment and I got to fight my way into that,” he said.

“I have to come back here (in the Canterbury Cup NSW) and play good football and enjoy it.

“I can’t take it as a negative I just got to build on it.

“A lot of people get rattled by it but I’m trying to be positive and I have a lot of support, so I appreciate that.”

From nrl.com

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
One for the people who demand to know why Martin isn't in 21st grade, in his own words.

Go Dogs

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty safe to say he will be back in the top team next week, he has done his time. I think Lewis will be better for it as well, as Rhyse had a bit of success running off Lachy last year

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Martin isn't in the first grade side this week, god help Pay haha

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are demanding blood out here I’m sure they are monitoring the kennel there will be changes alright I think most of us are ropable and ready to walk

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything in this CHN fella, certainly not enough to keep Martin out. So good to see a signing come over and do fuk all for his new club.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Be good to have him back an see what positives he can provide ..!!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
RFM has to be dropped for Martin. He’s way better

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything in this CHN fella, certainly not enough to keep Martin out. So good to see a signing come over and do fuk all for his new club.
Limited minutes topped the tackle count with 38

Pay using him in the middle

He’s an edge player

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's not bad imo he still has a spot in the team they gotta fit martin in there though.

BULLDOG 4 LIFE

Waterboy
Reaction score
Well if he isn't in the team for being aggressive enough, why the fuck are most our forwards still getting picked.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's not bad imo he still has a spot in the team they gotta fit martin in there though.
Drop Holland or Montoya (or both) put CHN in at Centre

RFM to bench - Rhys starts and of course kicks

Chris Smith to the bench too

Lichaa needs to be dropped
JMK is our only option until Brown is fit

4 forward bench

Crichton also dumped for Okunbor

Meaney in (yes he played average for reserve grade but we are at the point of no return now)

So....

Meaney
Smith
CHN
Hoppa
Okunbor

Foran
Lewis

Tolman
JMK
Napa
Jackson
Martin
Elliott

Bench
C Smith
RFM
Ogden
Fualolo

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t mind CHN so far. I was very underwhelmed after the all star game. But he’s one of the only guys that run direct when we need it and is aggressive and puts pressure on defensively. He’s a bit lazy but hopefully that improves

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Limited minutes topped the tackle count with 38

Pay using him in the middle

He’s an edge player
Really 38? Ok maybe he's one of those players that you don't notice their work then. I couldn't remember seeing him that much last week, only a couple of times. I will need to focus on him next week to make a better opinion by the look of it.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love to see him back. I still see this article as an advertisement for himself for future suitors.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We are demanding blood out here I’m sure they are monitoring the kennel there will be changes alright I think most of us are ropable and ready to walk
If anyone at The Bulldogs is monitoring TK, we’re in bigger trouble than what I thought...

I’m hoping they’ve got more pressing issues than listening to us.

I’m hoping Martin gets picked though, fuck Lichaa off and swap him in at the very least, that utility on the bench shit, I just don’t fathom it. If we’re not “scenario planning” for when injuries occur, I’d be stunned.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really 38? Ok maybe he's one of those players that you don't notice their work then. I couldn't remember seeing him that much last week, only a couple of times. I will need to focus on him next week to make a better opinion by the look of it.
I was surprised too

I just looked again and it was in fact 39

Majority playing through middle but he’s far more useful on the edge or shore up our shit centres defence

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Hes a solid **** Martin will provide some much needed muscle plus he is quick between the ears

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If anyone at The Bulldogs is monitoring TK, we’re in bigger trouble than what I thought...

I’m hoping they’ve got more pressing issues than listening to us.

I’m hoping Martin gets picked though, fuck Lichaa off and swap him in at the very least, that utility on the bench shit, I just don’t fathom it. If we’re not “scenario planning” for when injuries occur, I’d be stunned.
If they listened to us then Lichaa and Montoya wouldn’t be in the squad