Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Revealed: Get-out clause in Darren Lockyer's contract
Article from: The Sunday Telegraph

By Phil Rothfield and Peter Badel

February 03, 2008 12:00am

TEST captain Darren Lockyer is free to leave Brisbane if master coach Wayne Bennett walks out on the Broncos.

In an intriguing twist to persistent innuendo over Bennett's future at Red Hill, The Sunday Telegraph has learned Lockyer has a get-out clause in his contract, making him a free agent should Bennett quit the Broncos.

Fresh speculation last week claimed Bennett will inform the Broncos board at a scheduled meeting on Tuesday that he will stand down at season's end - 12 months before his deal expires.

Off-contract at the end of 2009, Bennett has been linked with a move to St George Illawarra, whose coach Nathan Brown is unsigned for next season. North Queensland and the Bulldogs are other clubs touted as a possible home for the six-time premiership-winner.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen insists Lockyer's current deal, which expires at the end of 2009, does not contain a get-out clause.

But sources close to the Broncos confirmed Lockyer is contractually entitled to quit the club if Bennett is not at the helm.

While there is no suggestion Lockyer would activate the clause - inserted as part of a five-season deal he signed in August 2004 - there would be no shortage of rival clubs prepared to engage in a bidding war for the Maroons and Australian maestro.

Cullen last night denied Bennett was on the verge of quitting the club he has coached since 1988.

"Wayne has given us no indication at all. He is not even on the agenda for discussion. Unless it comes out of the blue, we're just looking forward to the annual board meeting," Cullen said.

"Our stance hasn't changed. The speculation has been going on since the Roosters stuff in 2006 (when Bennett privately agreed to coach the Bondi club before pulling out when it became public knowledge)."

Cullen conceded the constant speculation has become a source of irritation but is confident Bennett will see out his existing deal.

"Every couple of months there is a story about Wayne staying or going or me and Wayne fighting. Our line has continually been the same - Wayne's contract is until the end of 2009 and it will remain so," Cullen said.

In a further twist, it is understood Canberra coach Neil Henry is regarded as a potential replacement for Bennett at the Broncos.

But yesterday Raiders chairman John McIntyre said the club had no plans to lose Henry.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

i knew he had one but i read somewhere today lots of the bronco players have the same clause in their contracts.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
who ever gets Wayne Bennett will get more then 1 person.. he is like a father to the players

M

MrCharisma

*drools over the thought of Darren Lockyer leading the Bulldogs*

M

MrCharisma

i love wayne bennett
Imagine Wayne Bennet coaching the Dogs... being controlled around by Darren Lockyer, goals slotted by Hazem El Masri, forwards like Andrew Ryan, Reni Maitua, Lee Te Maari, Sonny Bill Williams and Nick Kouparitsas bashing through the line and Luke Patten at the back of it all being the saftest fullback going around :whacky:

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
all sounds good except the haz bit tbh

i just got half a bar lol

M

MrCharisma

all sounds good except the haz bit tbh

i just got half a bar lol
In my eyes, Hazem can continue to play with us until he wants to stop... I think he deserves that much and considering he got an Origin call up last year, I think he has plenty to offer still.

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
Imagine Wayne Bennet coaching the Dogs... being controlled around by Darren Lockyer, goals slotted by Hazem El Masri, forwards like Andrew Ryan, Reni Maitua, Lee Te Maari, Sonny Bill Williams and Nick Kouparitsas bashing through the line and Luke Patten at the back of it all being the saftest fullback going around :whacky:
I don't know why, but the Bulldogs don't come across as a club witty enough or with the ability to pull off something as big as that

M

MrCharisma

I don't know why, but the Bulldogs don't come across as a club witty enough or with the ability to pull off something as big as that
We aren't known for our big purchases... i guess that would add to the sucker punch if it happened.

I guess it depends on the Board voting and who gets in... if the majority changes, you could see a new style of recruiting.

Not saying it will happen, but it's an exciting fantasy to think about... just the same as if we recaptured Price. Doubtful but dreamy

M

Mr Miyagi

I wonder how Darren is going to come back from his knee reco?
All the best to him, awesome player would cream to have him leading around the bulldogs at his peak.
Dream much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.