Return of Corey Harawira-Naera should be at Belmore

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Well why not come out and tell the fans weather they will or won’t support CHN returning to the dogs depending on the outcome his appeal.seeing this kid in another clubs jersey next year if he wins his appeal will burn me badly considering the fucking state we are in at the moment
I just don’t think it’s that simple. I don’t want to speculate until the process is over - I’ll wait and see what happens.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just don’t think it’s that simple. I don’t want to speculate until the process is over - I’ll wait and see what happens.
Fair enough but we’ve “waited to see what happens” on issues like recruitment, memberships, coaching, and look where it’s gotten us

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can i ask, how did the management find out about this?

I mean, i understand there instagram messages between the players and the woman/girl, so how did this make its way to management of the club? I highly doubt management of the club reads instagram messages between players and there girlfriends.

I am sure CHN and Okunbor told there team mates what had happened, so how did management know about all this?

Anyone know?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Fair enough but we’ve “waited to see what happens” on issues like recruitment, memberships, coaching, and look where it’s gotten us
I agree a call needs to be made on the coaching for 2021 now. Back or sack and full resources, nothing half-arsed.
Recruitment may well be finalised on the back of that (but possibly also tied up with whether there's 30 spots or less for next year and if there's a cap adjustment too - NRL decision).
Memberships - if you mean increasing numbers - well that's likely to only come off the back of results.
So yeah, call the coaching and start to let the other bits fall into place after that.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Can i ask, how did the management find out about this?

I mean, i understand there instagram messages between the players and the woman/girl, so how did this make its way to management of the club? I highly doubt management of the club reads instagram messages between players and there girlfriends.

I am sure CHN and Okunbor told there team mates what had happened, so how did management know about all this?

Anyone know?
One of the girls involved posted her exploits on social media.
It leaked from there and came to the attention of the club - I don't know how exactly, but once you post stuff like that you've lost control of it immediately.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree a call needs to be made on the coaching for 2021 now. Back or sack and full resources, nothing half-arsed.
Recruitment may well be finalised on the back of that (but possibly also tied up with whether there's 30 spots or less for next year and if there's a cap adjustment too - NRL decision).
Memberships - if you mean increasing numbers - well that's likely to only come off the back of results.
So yeah, call the coaching and start to let the other bits fall into place after that.
And that’s pretty much my point all three things are critically linked to each other and the success of our club and we are not hearing anything from the club around these issues

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
And that’s pretty much my point all three things are critically linked to each other and the success of our club and we are not hearing anything from the club around these issues
I hear you. I just think there has to be reasons why. I just can't believe it's incompetence and nothing else.
Hopefully we hear some good stuff soon...

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I hear you. I just think there has to be reasons why. I just can't believe it's incompetence and nothing else.
I genuinely hope
I genuinely hope you’re right DD if you’re not we are going to cellar dwellers for a long time

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are likely be the latest in a long list of NRL clubs punished for doing the right thing.

Former Bulldog Corey Harawira-Naera is reportedly a target of several teams, with the August 3rd deadline for registering players for 2020 approaching.

CHN was de-registered earlier this season after a pre-season incident was uncovered. He and Jayden Okunbor were dismissed from the club and banned from playing NRL.

That said, the incident is not one that will likely see CHN especially exiled from the game in the long-term.

Given the spate of injuries we’ve seen over recent weeks combined with Harawira-Naera’s undoubted talent, there is bound to be interest in acquiring his services should the NRL register his contract.

For mine, the Bulldogs should absolutely have first right of re-signing their former player should he be allowed back into NRL action, especially for 2020.

The Dogs did the right thing in sacking the player. The NRL deregistered the players regardless, effectively making the Bulldogs decision for them.

Therefore, the Dogs should be given the opportunity to re-sign their player on the same terms. If the Dogs should decide to waive that right then by all means yes, other clubs could take their shot should they so desire.

If the Dogs are not given this shot, then CHN could realistically find his way into a more successful side, possibly even on higher pay than prior to his stupid decisions that landed him in hot water.

What type of message would that send?

The Dogs face the very real chance that they become the next club in a long list of being hurt after doing the right thing.

Canberra were forced to sack Todd Carney after a string of incidents. He went on to win a Dally M with the Roosters.

*Deep Breathe*

Sticking with Canberra, they released Blake Ferguson after the player refused to front a hearing and going AWOL. His punishment? A premiership at the Roosters.

AFB is arguably the best prop in the game right now despite being correctly sacked by the Dragons after pleading guilty to assaulting his partner.

Zane Tetevano was sacked by both Newcastle and then Manly after pleading guilty to eight charges of attacks on his former girlfriend. Two Premiership ring.

Where did sacking these players get any of those clubs? Were they afforded the right to welcome back players who had successfully completed their rehabilitation?

The Bulldogs have every right to deny a return to the club of a player whose selfish actions disrupted their preparation for round one as well as putting the club into the media in a negative light.

They may very well thumb their nose at allowing CHN to return to the club, but they should be given that right rather than seeing the player they were forced to remove from the club walk into a big contract elsewhere.

We’ve seen successful clubs like the Roosters and (formerly) the Broncos deny sacking stars despite off field incidents. They’ve signed players returning from suspensions and reregistration and have enjoyed success as a result.

What motivation do clubs have to do the right thing by standing down or sacking players?

Only the clubs and their fans suffer while players post a faux apology on social media, sit through a day of supposed sensitivity training before cashing in and running out for finals footy.

It’s absolutely ridiculous but it happens literally every season.

I already hear it in the comments “you can’t sack a player then expect him to come back”. Somewhat true, but in circumstances where the club has done right by the game or has acted on direction of the NRL, there has to be a safeguard for the clubs.

At least an option.

Otherwise we’ll keep seeing clubs do the right thing in standing down players who have done wrong only to see them return to action elsewhere while the club suffers.

Alternatively there’s going to be a time where clubs simply refuse to sack players regardless of the incident. The NRL will be forced to make the decision and open themselves up to all sorts of issues from club land.

Ultimately, there’s no complete fix for player misbehaviour but something has to be done to allow the club some protection or advantage for doing the right thing.

The Dogs were forced to lose a very talented back rower due to an incident they could not have seen coming, and now face the very real possibility of seeing said talented back rower running around for another club as soon as this year through NO fault of their own.
Don't expect the National Rorts League to have sympathy for us

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
not every dogs fan is at the computer clicking refresh every 7 minutes for a dogs signing or CHN news.
just trust the process and judge August 3. ill be very vocal if he signs for saints.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
i do hope the nrl simply rule his contract is reinstated.

nangsta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I feel was let down by the club. He did the wrong thing but didn't deserve a sacking. The club could have left it to the NRL to sack him.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK what they did was wrong and stupid as they breached Club policy but from what I’ve heard Okenbor had actually met up with one of the girls where as CHN had only exchanged details with another girl. So how are those actions equal to being de registered and sacked? Yes they did the wrong thing and should’ve been punished but to lose your fucking contract over an exchange of details is and was way to harsh. Get him back ASAP.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why would he want to return when the club went to great lengths to sack him. He was not given a punishment where to could have redeemed himself.
From a Clubs perspective, how could they backflip on their morals & resign him.
From an NRL perspective, I am sure they know that they can not deny CHN an opportunity to return to his profession, especially as he had paid a high penalty already. Since Greenberg departures, others unsavoury incidents were all given paltry penalties.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would he want to return when the club went to great lengths to sack him. He was not given a punishment where to could have redeemed himself.
From a Clubs perspective, how could they backflip on their morals & resign him.
From an NRL perspective, I am sure they know that they can not deny CHN an opportunity to return to his profession, especially as he had paid a high penalty already. Since Greenberg departures, others unsavoury incidents were all given paltry penalties.
As the original article states the club had their hand forced by the NRL as they the NRL had de registered them first which only then the club had no choice but to sack them. Hopefully the club has said to him that they will still support him IF he lets the due process take its course and then hopefully they can agree on him returning sooner rather than later. That said CHN would also be keeping his options open for other opportunities but I can’t blame the club for taking the action they did as it was basically made for them by the NRL.