Retention Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why we continue to support and accept the poor performance by some of the marquee players but let workers such as Dene Halatau and Marty Taupau go to other clubs; and why would we want to resign Reni Maitau? The Dogs have a wealth of young talent within the ranks and should be content in grooming them to be the future of the Dogs, Jackson, Finucane, Lafai, Browne and Klemmer to name a few; they are future club leaders and Australian Representatives.

RO11LR

Pup
Reaction score
We support them because we are fans of the club and that is "our job" as such and leave the coaching and contract negotiations to the people who know what they are doing and have done it for a long time.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We let Taupau go because we have kept Klemmer on a bigger pay packet because we didn't want to lose such talent. Taupau has been solid while Klemmer will be a super star. Also the fact we retained Tolman, Kasiano and sounds like we are doing all we can for James Graham. Meaning Taupau is behibnd all of them and also likely Tim Browne. I'd say he not only will get a better chance at 17 for tigers but also a lot more money.

We lost Carter because of blokes like Finucane & Jackson coming through and the fact we have retained Pritchard, Eastwood etc.

I don't think our retention has been poor at all lately. The last blow we lost was Idris and that was due to the money thrown at him. Which I think was a right idea. Sezer hurt though from all reports his ego was to big and in all seriousness I'd rather Joshie Reynolds. Although granted Sezer could of played the 7.

As for Halatau going he is likely being paid more then we would of paid for the Tigpies. Good on him to look after his family with the small window he has left. Reni used to love the club and I think he still does. He has sorted his life out and best of all he will be on bugger all and the Eels will pay most of that. I think he will be a great addition. However little he plays though.

I think our pack will be

8. Tolman
9. Ennis
10. Kasiano
11. Pritchard
12. Jackson
13. Eastwood

14. Graham
15. Finucane
16. Klemmer/Mataiu
17. T Williams

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Klemmer signed a new 3 year deal. Jackson and Finucane are looking at new extended deals. Ill leave it to Des.

RO11LR

Pup
Reaction score
As for Halatau going he is likely being paid more then we would of paid for the Tigpies. Good on him to look after his family with the small window he has left. Reni used to love the club and I think he still does. He has sorted his life out and best of all he will be on bugger all and the Eels will pay most of that. I think he will be a great addition. However little he plays though.
Didn't Reni sue the club for unfair dismisal ?

N

Natboy

Reni has grown up a lot and doesn't hang out with the drop kicks he used to as much.
Even if he doesn't play a minute he would be a great leader for the young guys.
There is more to a football club than stats and where you are on the ladder each week

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dene Halatau and Marty Taupau are not that good anyway

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously you cannot keep every player.

Taupau obviously also knew there were a few players in front of him so he decided to go to a club that will give him more First Grade game time.

Same with Romelo, if reports are true he is going to the cowboys its only because he needs to play more FG..unfortunately there are better players then him at the moment

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Reni has grown up a lot and doesn't hang out with the drop kicks he used to as much.
Even if he doesn't play a minute he would be a great leader for the young guys.
There is more to a football club than stats and where you are on the ladder each week
Reni is not the sort of influence our young guys need - we have enough leaders and role models in family men and solid players like Tolman, Ennis, Pritchard etc.

N

Natboy

Reni is not the sort of influence our young guys need - we have enough leaders and role models in family men and solid players like Tolman, Ennis, Pritchard etc.
That's your opinion. Reni is a very easy going guy I know a lot of young guys relate to.
How can you have too many leaders and role models?

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
We've let Paul Carter go to the Titans and Reni Maitua is on his way to Belmore FFS.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Taupau - penalty machine once described as having tits for hands. Poor ball security and never recovered from his injury mentally.
Halatau - great clubman who has served us well, but it's time for some younger blood who we risk losing by keeping him.
Romelo - not going anywhere as Tweeted by the great man himself.

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need a balance of youth and experience. No use having a whole team of young players with no one to guide them.

Reni is a great replacement for Halatau, seeing as he can be utilised in more positions and will come much cheaper as Parra will be paying a chunck of his salary. Helps also to clear some cap space.

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Ummm who is Paul Carter does he play FG?
He is in our NSW cup team. Young gun. Been killing it for years and really should have a run in FG.
We need a balance of youth and experience. No use having a whole team of young players with no one to guide them.

Reni is a great replacement for Halatau, seeing as he can be utilised in more positions and will come much cheaper as Parra will be paying a chunck of his salary. Helps also to clear some cap space.
Pritchard, Eastwood, Tolman, Graham, Kasiano. Even young Jackson & Finucane are getting to the stage where you can call them experienced.

Why do we need a former drug cheat who tried to sue our club? We're going to end up with an aging pack before we know it.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Taupau and Halatau recieved bigger offers while the Bulldogs were able to retain the bulk of its grand final squad could not offer increased offers to the whole side, simple maths.

Malla

Reaction score
Im assuming it's a business decision. We are letting go of 2 players and replacing them with one worth a lot less who can do just as good a job.

I think NRL is really missing something like a trade or transfer fee system. Clubs should be in a position to make money off the players the develop from a young age through the ranks. Ie. Looking at the Barba situation, had the NRL placed a trade system we would be able to trade Barba now to Brisbane for a player or 2 from their roster. Or transfer fee, ie. selling Barba for his current and expected value over the next 2 seasons while he's still contracted with us. Could be a good way for the NRL to help those clubs who are going broke. Even in this scenario, we would be in a position to sell Tapau for a good sum, and he's somebody who has failed to crack FG and probably never will at the Dogs.

Grey Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Im assuming it's a business decision. We are letting go of 2 players and replacing them with one worth a lot less who can do just as good a job.

I think NRL is really missing something like a trade or transfer fee system. Clubs should be in a position to make money off the players the develop from a young age through the ranks. Ie. Looking at the Barba situation, had the NRL placed a trade system we would be able to trade Barba now to Brisbane for a player or 2 from their roster. Or transfer fee, ie. selling Barba for his current and expected value over the next 2 seasons while he's still contracted with us. Could be a good way for the NRL to help those clubs who are going broke. Even in this scenario, we would be in a position to sell Tapau for a good sum, and he's somebody who has failed to crack FG and probably never will at the Dogs.
Agree in principle,there would no doubt be numerous conditions surrounding such a concept, but a topic worthy of discussion.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
its imposable to keep them all, some have to be let go to retain others, happens at every club not just canterbury

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, our retention and recruitment are fine (exception being T-Rex). Just be lucky you arent tigers fans watching all your marquee players fo to another club.

I dont know whether a transfer system would work. Its all fine and dandy to say; Lets trade for Hoffman!!111 But really, is he willing to move from his family and sunny QLD to belmore? You're pretty much imposing Barbas predicament on someone else.

This would really impact players and their families if they have to move states or even from NZ to Oz. It would have to be very conditional as mentioned above. I dont think we will ever see it.

Regarding Maitua, if whats been said previously is true then he will only be on 100-120k. Absolute peanuts, might as well snap him up for depth. Can never have enough forward stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.