Religious Discussion Thread

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Been absolutely screwed with work this week.

What do you think of Alex O'Conncors stance on morality?

He has a two hour explanation. However here is a 12 minute one.

Sprry dont have time atm the type out a synopsis.

Again many athiesta debate subjective v objective morality...

But to prove a God exisits because OMV exisit is that step furher in which the burden of proof lies on the proponents to clarify their meaning of OBV and how the only possibility of OMV is their reference point being God. And in that prove the existence of God.

Some atheists reference points are consequesialism (not that i partic agree)

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
But that still proves that ice DOES exist.
In terms of morality, what you may think are not black and white situations or grey situations does not follow.
Just because we cannot grasp such examples, does not mean they are not objective.
This is more of a discussion of epistemology. The argument focuses on ontology.

Are you able to respond to the duck example?

Also, i think Michael Ruse says it perfectly here

"The position of the modern evolutionist . . . is that humans have an awareness of morality . . . because such an awareness is of biological worth. Morality is a biological adaptation no less than are hands and feet and teeth . . . . Considered as a rationally justifiable set of claims about an objective something, ethics is illusory. I appreciate that when somebody says 'Love they neighbor as thyself,' they think they are referring above and beyond themselves . . . . Nevertheless, . . . such reference is truly without foundation. Morality is just an aid to survival and reproduction, . . . and any deeper meaning is illusory . ."
The ice analogy was in regards to how you were treating Objective Morality. Your stance seems to be that if one objective morality is true then all must be true. It's more of a mix.

For example, Ruse's comment covers evolutionary morality well, but leaves out the part that there is also societal influence to create new rules of morality. When we had no language and could barely use tools, we had no concepts of modern morality. These were developed as society advanced.

So basically, naturalistic evolution acts as a con artist tricking people into thinking that morality is real. So the act of rape itself isn’t morally wrong. Rather, our genes have tricked us into thinking rape is wrong.

So when you hear about a rape, it is not really wrong, our genes have tricked us into thinking it is wrong because it is beneficial for the species.
But we do not bow down to evolution. After all, evolution also gave us diseases yet we try to eradicate them.
Why can't we eradicate this false belief that rape is wrong and just go out and rape?
I mean, evolution has played a hoax on us.
Only if you see it from the God perspective. Another way to look at it is that God programmed humans to have morality, so we don't have real morality.

The fact is that if morality is a combination of evolutionary traits and societal influence, then morality is very real, it's just not the morality you believe. If I dig a hole, or thousands of years of water erosion digs a hole, it's still a hole. There's no trick there.

To quote one heathen, "If you need God to give you morality, are you really a good person?"

Of course it goes a lot deeper than that. What you're delving into now is the old free will chest nut which asks philosophical questions like:

- If God created us and knows everything we do, how can there be free will?

- If we only have morality because of God, are we really good people or is God forcing us to be good?

- If we only have morality because of evolution, are we really good people or is it just a result of our physiology?

- If our thoughts and actions are just the result of electrical impulses and chemical reactions, are we really in control of ourselves?

Regardless if you're Christian or Atheist. When you delve deep into the theology of free will it generally seems like the only reason we think we have actual free will is because God, or someone else, told us we do. All evidence points to the contrary.

This is the stuff of philosophical nightmares and it often leads to discussion about how culpable a criminal can be for their crimes, especially if they are just the product of their genetics and their upbringing.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been absolutely screwed with work this week.

What do you think of Alex O'Conncors stance on morality?

He has a two hour explanation. However here is a 12 minute one.

Sprry dont have time atm the type out a synopsis.

Again many athiesta debate subjective v objective morality...

But to prove a God exisits because OMV exisit is that step furher in which the burden of proof lies on the proponents to clarify their meaning of OBV and how the only possibility of OMV is their reference point being God. And in that prove the existence of God.

Some atheists reference points are consequesialism (not that i partic agree)

The problem i have with OM under naturalism is that it cannot be grounded.

It is essentially saying that there is a objective REALM of morality that just so happens to exist and it existed whether humans existed or not - Atheistic Moral Platonism

This realm was for humans when they arrive on the scene.

The even bigger problem is prohibitions. Who forces these on us?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What do you disagree with?
He's laughing at the fact that you basically said that without God, rape would not be wrong. Which is a terrible thing to say.

Nothing wrong with believing in God, but if you think that rape is only wrong if God says it's wrong then there's some serious issues there.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem i have with OM under naturalism is that it cannot be grounded.

It is essentially saying that there is a objective REALM of morality that just so happens to exist and it existed whether humans existed or not - Atheistic Moral Platonism

This realm was for humans when they arrive on the scene.

The even bigger problem is prohibitions. Who forces these on us?
That's not even remotely what any of us are saying and I'm not sure you're actually reading what we're saying.

We all said many times that morality is a combination of evolution (in humans) and societal influence (in humans). To suggest that morality exists without humans just shows that you don't understand what we're saying at all.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ice analogy was in regards to how you were treating Objective Morality. Your stance seems to be that if one objective morality is true then all must be true. It's more of a mix.

I am merely pointing out that 1 example of OM is enough to show that OM exists. I agreed that there are some grey areas, but that is more of an epistemological issue (how we know) than an ontological one.

For example, Ruse's comment covers evolutionary morality well, but leaves out the part that there is also societal influence to create new rules of morality. When we had no language and could barely use tools, we had no concepts of modern morality. These were developed as society advanced.

Thats what he is saying. They are just adaptations like hands and feet. They have no deeper meaning. Just a means to an end.

Only if you see it from the God perspective. Another way to look at it is that God programmed humans to have morality, so we don't have real morality.

The fact is that if morality is a combination of evolutionary traits and societal influence, then morality is very real, it's just not the morality you believe. If I dig a hole, or thousands of years of water erosion digs a hole, it's still a hole. There's no trick there.

To quote one heathen, "If you need God to give you morality, are you really a good person?"

The ironic thing here is, if there is no God, then what even is good? Who defines it? You? Hitler? Mao? Stalin? Trump?

Of course it goes a lot deeper than that. What you're delving into now is the old free will chest nut which asks philosophical questions like:

- If God created us and knows everything we do, how can there be free will?

- If we only have morality because of God, are we really good people or is God forcing us to be good?

- If we only have morality because of evolution, are we really good people or is it just a result of our physiology?

- If our thoughts and actions are just the result of electrical impulses and chemical reactions, are we really in control of ourselves?

Regardless if you're Christian or Atheist. When you delve deep into the theology of free will it generally seems like the only reason we think we have actual free will is because God, or someone else, told us we do. All evidence points to the contrary.

If no free will then it is irrational for laying blame and praise on people.
Were atheists free in becoming atheists? Did they rationally look at the evidences and freely choose to be atheists?

This is the stuff of philosophical nightmares and it often leads to discussion about how culpable a criminal can be for their crimes, especially if they are just the product of their genetics and their upbringing.

Yes, as i was just saying. But free will is central in morality.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's laughing at the fact that you basically said that without God, rape would not be wrong. Which is a terrible thing to say.

Nothing wrong with believing in God, but if you think that rape is only wrong if God says it's wrong then there's some serious issues there.
I do not see how it is wrong.
There is rape in the animal kingdom all the time, as i said in the duck example.
Arent we all just animals if God does not exist?
What makes humans any more special than ducks?
Why is it ok for ducks to pack rape but not humans? Says who?

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not even remotely what any of us are saying and I'm not sure you're actually reading what we're saying.

We all said many times that morality is a combination of evolution (in humans) and societal influence (in humans). To suggest that morality exists without humans just shows that you don't understand what we're saying at all.
The answer was in regards to objective morality.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I do not see how it is wrong.
There is rape in the animal kingdom all the time, as i said in the duck example.
Arent we all just animals if God does not exist?
What makes humans any more special than ducks?
Why is it ok for ducks to pack rape but not humans? Says who?
And that's why I keep saying that this discussion is pointless. Because...

1) "there is rape in the animal kingdom all the time"

Yep, and we are animals. Which is why there's also rape in the human kingdom all the time. It's sad that it happens but procreation is a core driver of all animals, including humans. But we evolved intelligence and self-control. So we know it's wrong without some sky being telling us it's wrong

2) if you cannot understand why rape is wrong without God telling you it's wrong then... I don't mean any offence but maybe talk to a professional about that.

Tuffs? Can you help?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The answer was in regards to objective morality.
But it's not. The responses you are giving seem like you rest the works of Craig and Co, decided that they're right, and now you keep posting the same comments, and when we provide responses it seems that you don't understand them so you keep copy and pasting more of Craig's philosophy.

I'm not trying to be offensive but if you think that if you remove God then we'll all turn into rapists and murderers, then there's no debate here.

I would suggest that you read all of William Lane Craig's work again, then read the work of other theological philosophers, and also read the works of atheist philosophers.

Because right now your responses are just coming across as, "you wrote something but I don't want to attempt to understand it so I'm going to post stuff from my favourite philosopher"

It's just the same stuff that many Craig fans post and I would suggest not doing it. Don't go down that path. It's the Craig fans that harassed and threatened Richard Dawkins because he said that Craig wasn't worth debating. Ravenous devout Christians.

Sure, be Christian. Be a Craig Dan if you want. But look at the alternatives as well. Even if it's other Christian philosophers as Craig is bottom tear Christian philosophy. Look at the other ones that have some interesting points. But don't take them as gospel. Think about them critically. It may save you from the rabbit hole you seem to have dived into.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And that's why I keep saying that this discussion is pointless. Because...

1) "there is rape in the animal kingdom all the time"

Yep, and we are animals. Which is why there's also rape in the human kingdom all the time. It's sad that it happens but procreation is a core driver of all animals, including humans. But we evolved intelligence and self-control. So we know it's wrong without some sky being telling us it's wrong

2) if you cannot understand why rape is wrong without God telling you it's wrong then... I don't mean any offence but maybe talk to a professional about that.

Tuffs? Can you help?
Where did i say there is no rape with humans? The question is, why is NOT wrong for animals but all of a sudden wrong for humans?
You say that humans have evolved intelligence so we know it is wrong. This now presupposes there is an objective morality, moral facts that we now learnt of.
If God does not exist, why is rape wrong? Says who?
If there is no OM, then LOGICALLY you can only say, "i do not like rape", you can frown upon it etc, but it is not wrong.
Furthermore, if i can get away with it, why not rape if that is something i enjoy?
These are all a consequence of moral nihilism.
Many atheists like to talk theoretically about morality, but when we apply real life examples, they cannot follow it through

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But it's not. The responses you are giving seem like you rest the works of Craig and Co, decided that they're right, and now you keep posting the same comments, and when we provide responses it seems that you don't understand them so you keep copy and pasting more of Craig's philosophy.

I'm not trying to be offensive but if you think that if you remove God then we'll all turn into rapists and murderers, then there's no debate here.

I would suggest that you read all of William Lane Craig's work again, then read the work of other theological philosophers, and also read the works of atheist philosophers.

Because right now your responses are just coming across as, "you wrote something but I don't want to attempt to understand it so I'm going to post stuff from my favourite philosopher"

It's just the same stuff that many Craig fans post and I would suggest not doing it. Don't go down that path. It's the Craig fans that harassed and threatened Richard Dawkins because he said that Craig wasn't worth debating. Ravenous devout Christians.

Sure, be Christian. Be a Craig Dan if you want. But look at the alternatives as well. Even if it's other Christian philosophers as Craig is bottom tear Christian philosophy. Look at the other ones that have some interesting points. But don't take them as gospel. Think about them critically. It may save you from the rabbit hole you seem to have dived into.
I think this shows the disconnect.
I never said without God you cannot be good people, the whole point of the argument is that atheists cannot JUSTIFY or GROUND morality.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Where did i say there is no rape with humans? The question is, why is NOT wrong for animals but all of a sudden wrong for humans?
You say that humans have evolved intelligence so we know it is wrong. This now presupposes there is an objective morality, moral facts that we now learnt of.
If God does not exist, why is rape wrong? Says who?
If there is no OM, then LOGICALLY you can only say, "i do not like rape", you can frown upon it etc, but it is not wrong.
Furthermore, if i can get away with it, why not rape if that is something i enjoy?
These are all a consequence of moral nihilism.
Many atheists like to talk theoretically about morality, but when we apply real life examples, they cannot follow it through
Points again:

1) as I pointed out earlier, you are really not understanding what we're saying. You have this belief set in your mind that if God didn't say Rape is Wrong, then rape can't be considered to be morally wrong. That just shows that you cannot understand what we're saying. You cannot understand the idea of evolutionary morality. Which is why I keep saying that this conversation is pointless

2) evolution of intelligence isn't my suggestion. It's a fact that has been proven

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think this shows the disconnect.
I never said without God you cannot be good people, the whole point of the argument is that atheists cannot JUSTIFY or GROUND morality.
But we can, and have constantly. The point is that you will not accept that there is morality without God. Every point we have raised that shows clearly how morality developed. A clear path of morality. Each time you ignore it and say that it's ungrounded or unjustified.

As I said, this debate is pointless because you have built your house and will not accept that other houses exist.

It would be just as easy for me to say, "prove that God exists or morality from God is a lie"

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Points again:

1) as I pointed out earlier, you are really not understanding what we're saying. You have this belief set in your mind that if God didn't say Rape is Wrong, then rape can't be considered to be morally wrong. That just shows that you cannot understand what we're saying. You cannot understand the idea of evolutionary morality. Which is why I keep saying that this conversation is pointless

2) evolution of intelligence isn't my suggestion. It's a fact that has been proven
Evolution is DESCRIPTIVE, morality is PRESCRIPTIVE.
Science describes the way the natural world is, it doesn’t tell us how it ought to be. This is where evolutionary morality faces a widely recognized problem. Namely, it cannot produce an “ought” from an “is.” Normative rules cannot be derived from empirical facts.
The problem stems from trying to deduce a moral duty from a scientific description. Darwinian evolution may be able to describe past behavior, but it lacks the resources to prescribe future behavior. As Greg Koukl puts it, “One question can never be answered by any evolutionary assessment of ethics: Why ought i be moral tomorrow3 Any response ASSUMES an objective standard beyond the natural world.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets use a simple example.
Lets say i come to your place, bash you to death then steal all your belongings.
Have i done anything wrong?
Remember before you answer, i am NOT asking have i done something you would not like, desire or want.
I am asking you, have i done something wrong?
If you say yes, the next question is why?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Evolution is DESCRIPTIVE, morality is PRESCRIPTIVE.
Science describes the way the natural world is, it doesn’t tell us how it ought to be. This is where evolutionary morality faces a widely recognized problem. Namely, it cannot produce an “ought” from an “is.” Normative rules cannot be derived from empirical facts.
The problem stems from trying to deduce a moral duty from a scientific description. Darwinian evolution may be able to describe past behavior, but it lacks the resources to prescribe future behavior. As Greg Koukl puts it, “One question can never be answered by any evolutionary assessment of ethics: Why ought i be moral tomorrow3 Any response ASSUMES an objective standard beyond the natural world.
Again with the ought/is fallacy. I keep telling you. That fallacy is only relative if you believe God exists. Evolution is the complete opposite.

With evolution it's fit. That's where "survival of the fittest" comes from. It's saying that the species that fits best in the environment will survive. It's nothing at all to do with is/Ought.

If less rape and murder leads to the survival of the species (which it does) then the species that survive are the ones that don't rape and murder.

Greg Koukl is a Christian apologist and he does what you're doing. He either ignores or fails to understand the statements of the other side, then makes definitive statements of fact using stuff that is the opposite of fact (has no evidence to support it). That's why he's constantly laughed at by academics.

That's the problem with Christian apologists. They derived from the belief that the sun revolves around the earth and 1,500 years later, they're still arguing that we should ignore facts and focus on biblical teachings.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lets use a simple example.
Lets say i come to your place, bash you to death then steal all your belongings.
Have i done anything wrong?
Remember before you answer, i am NOT asking have i done something you would not like, desire or want.
I am asking you, have i done something wrong?
If you say yes, the next question is why?
The fact that you just used that as an example tells me that you have not read a single thing I posted.

I'm sorry but if you believe what you just posted then you can't even begin to understand morality.