Opinion Referees

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yup. He always give 50/50 calls to the ‘better’ team. Not sure if you notice but he is a lot more open to having chats to ‘good’ teams captains but gives the others zero time. Noticed it quite a bit on Friday but it’s always been a thing from Sutton. I’ve seen him call time off to explain a rule to Cam Smith before like it was his boss. Anyway… hopefully this fucker leaves the game soon.
Remember this article from 2016.

I DO NOT condone the threatening of his family but it does illustrate the level of frustration amongst fans and how long this has been going on.

I cannot ever remember any other ref having his wife defend him so publicly.

link Origin referee Gerard Sutton’s wife saddened by post-game abuse | Daily Telegraph

Origin referee Gerard Sutton’s wife saddened by post-game abuse
THE wife of State of Origin referee Gerard Sutton has revealed she was devastated by criticism of her husband after game one.

Mercedes MaguireMercedes Maguire

State of Origin referee Gerard Sutton at home with wife Julie and children Jess, 13, Lawson, 4, Charlotte, 18 months, and Alex, 14. Picture: Justin Lloyd

State of Origin referee Gerard Sutton at home with wife Julie and children

Julie Sutton was in her living room, having just put her children to bed, when she saw a tweet that turned her blood cold.
“This ref sucks. I need to find out where he lives. His family needs to die,” the social media message read.
It was Good Friday last year and she had only caught the tail end of the NRL match between the Bulldogs and the Rabbitohs, when her husband, referee Gerard Sutton, made a controversial call in the final minute, handing the match to Souths.

Julie and Gerard Sutton at home with daughter Charlotte. Picture: Justin Lloyd

Two days later, the Suttons were in church to celebrate Easter Sunday when two men in the pew behind them started up.
“What about Friday’s game?” one asked. “Shame about the Bulldogs. Bloody refs,” the other replied. “Lucky we’re in church,” the first guy added, in a sinister tone.
Julie says it’s a measure of her husband that, in the part of the service when parishioners offer each other good wishes, Gerard turned to the men, shook their hands and said “Peace be with you”.
“That game last year was probably the most controversial for Gerard,” Julie says.
“I love that Gerard’s a referee and that he does it with such passion. But one thing I hate is when people blame the ref for something that clearly isn’t his fault, just to deflect a poor performance ...
“People don’t realise this guy they’re abusing has a family, he has a wife and kids and this is his livelihood. He’s not going to risk his job or credibility to favour a team; that’s just ridiculous.”
Julie is speaking out just weeks after Blues coach Laurie Daley called for Sutton to be sacked following the first State of Origin match of the season — which Queensland won. Despite Daley’s plea, Gerard and fellow ref Ben Cummins have been appointed to referee the second match.
Julie says her husband is able to ignore the commentary — but she can’t.
“He only feels bad if he’s made a mistake,” she says. “But if it’s just sledging, it doesn’t faze him as long as he knows he’s done a good job. And he was happy with his calls after the first game.
“But I was devastated by Daley’s remarks. That’s my husband and I’m proud of him. I don’t want people saying these things about him, especially when it’s unfounded.”
Sutton, comes from a long line of referees. His grandfather and father both worked regional NSW games. One brother, Chris, is also in the NRL’s referee squad, and the other, Bernard, is in the “bunker” — the hi-tech facility where decisions are reviewed — often covering the same game as Gerard.

Gerard Sutton in action during State of Origin 1. Picture: Mark Evans

Gerard Sutton in action during State of Origin 1.

Julie says her role is to create a stress-free environment at home on game days.
“On the morning of a big game he’ll be quiet but normal family life goes on. It’s
a bit hard for it not to with little kids running around. I’ll make sure there’s time during the day when he can have a sleep.
“We don’t need to tiptoe around him but we are very aware it’s a big game day ...
“The games are mentally draining for him, as well as physically.”
Stats show an NRL ref makes an average of 419 critical decisions each match, and runs 8.5km.
The pair’s younger children — Lawson, 4, and Charlotte, 1 — are too little to understand the pressure their dad faces. But the older two — Jess, 13, and Alex, 14, from Julie’s first marriage — are aware their stepdad can sometimes become the state’s most controversial person.
“The week after a big game, we don’t buy papers, we don’t look on social media — it’s like a media ban because we don’t want to invite the negativity into the home,” Julie says. “But we know kids can say things at school and, while the older two haven’t been the focus of anything negative yet, we have prepared them.
“We’ve said if anyone says anything bad about Gerard, they should say ‘Sorry you feel that way,’ and walk away.”

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Remember this article from 2016.

I DO NOT condone the threatening of his family but it does illustrate the level of frustration amongst fans and how long this has been going on.

I cannot ever remember any other ref having his wife defend him so publicly.

link Origin referee Gerard Sutton’s wife saddened by post-game abuse | Daily Telegraph

Origin referee Gerard Sutton’s wife saddened by post-game abuse
THE wife of State of Origin referee Gerard Sutton has revealed she was devastated by criticism of her husband after game one.

Mercedes MaguireMercedes Maguire

State of Origin referee Gerard Sutton at home with wife Julie and children Jess, 13, Lawson, 4, Charlotte, 18 months, and Alex, 14. Picture: Justin Lloyd

State of Origin referee Gerard Sutton at home with wife Julie and children

Julie Sutton was in her living room, having just put her children to bed, when she saw a tweet that turned her blood cold.
“This ref sucks. I need to find out where he lives. His family needs to die,” the social media message read.
It was Good Friday last year and she had only caught the tail end of the NRL match between the Bulldogs and the Rabbitohs, when her husband, referee Gerard Sutton, made a controversial call in the final minute, handing the match to Souths.

Two days later, the Suttons were in church to celebrate Easter Sunday when two men in the pew behind them started up.
“What about Friday’s game?” one asked. “Shame about the Bulldogs. Bloody refs,” the other replied. “Lucky we’re in church,” the first guy added, in a sinister tone.
Julie says it’s a measure of her husband that, in the part of the service when parishioners offer each other good wishes, Gerard turned to the men, shook their hands and said “Peace be with you”.
“That game last year was probably the most controversial for Gerard,” Julie says.
“I love that Gerard’s a referee and that he does it with such passion. But one thing I hate is when people blame the ref for something that clearly isn’t his fault, just to deflect a poor performance ...
“People don’t realise this guy they’re abusing has a family, he has a wife and kids and this is his livelihood. He’s not going to risk his job or credibility to favour a team; that’s just ridiculous.”
Julie is speaking out just weeks after Blues coach Laurie Daley called for Sutton to be sacked following the first State of Origin match of the season — which Queensland won. Despite Daley’s plea, Gerard and fellow ref Ben Cummins have been appointed to referee the second match.
Julie says her husband is able to ignore the commentary — but she can’t.
“He only feels bad if he’s made a mistake,” she says. “But if it’s just sledging, it doesn’t faze him as long as he knows he’s done a good job. And he was happy with his calls after the first game.
“But I was devastated by Daley’s remarks. That’s my husband and I’m proud of him. I don’t want people saying these things about him, especially when it’s unfounded.”
Sutton, comes from a long line of referees. His grandfather and father both worked regional NSW games. One brother, Chris, is also in the NRL’s referee squad, and the other, Bernard, is in the “bunker” — the hi-tech facility where decisions are reviewed — often covering the same game as Gerard.

Gerard Sutton in action during State of Origin 1. Picture: Mark Evans

Gerard Sutton in action during State of Origin 1.

Julie says her role is to create a stress-free environment at home on game days.
“On the morning of a big game he’ll be quiet but normal family life goes on. It’s
a bit hard for it not to with little kids running around. I’ll make sure there’s time during the day when he can have a sleep.
“We don’t need to tiptoe around him but we are very aware it’s a big game day ...
“The games are mentally draining for him, as well as physically.”
Stats show an NRL ref makes an average of 419 critical decisions each match, and runs 8.5km.
The pair’s younger children — Lawson, 4, and Charlotte, 1 — are too little to understand the pressure their dad faces. But the older two — Jess, 13, and Alex, 14, from Julie’s first marriage — are aware their stepdad can sometimes become the state’s most controversial person.
“The week after a big game, we don’t buy papers, we don’t look on social media — it’s like a media ban because we don’t want to invite the negativity into the home,” Julie says. “But we know kids can say things at school and, while the older two haven’t been the focus of anything negative yet, we have prepared them.
“We’ve said if anyone says anything bad about Gerard, they should say ‘Sorry you feel that way,’ and walk away.”
Sons a Tottenham fan is he by any chance? Would explain a lot.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I firmly believe in the instance of a head clash BOTH parties should be assessed. If one is bad enough to go off and the clash has been a severe one like that ( especially seeing Mitchell was holding his jaw and face and receiving treatment whilst Preston was on the ground.) why shouldn't both be removed for assessment. Souths had Mitchell remain on the field for another ten minutes after Preston went off THEN had him taken off with "double vision" which suddenly came on well after the event still with the benefit of a free interchange and a player a lot fresher coming on.

We now know that Preston received a broken jaw from this and will be missing for at least three weeks...
I was referring to Latrell Mitchell. Hard to stop when going in for a tackle to stop a try. The other Mitchell used his shoulder on Preston, which seems to be OK if you are carrying the ball.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you think fox late hit is ok, kiks late hit ok, the professional foul after a break just before half time is ok, the knock on from south’s after the forward pass is ok, the number of times south’s markers offside was ok, please go watch the game again and see how fair Sutton was.
We had 56% of the possession, and were camped on their line for 17 tackles without posting a point. We should have won, despite the referee.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We had 56% of the possession, and were camped on their line for 17 tackles without posting a point. We should have won, despite the referee.
It seems the huddled up one-out play is still stuck in side the players' minds. That should have been coached out by now.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It seems the huddled up one-out play is still stuck in side the players' minds. That should have been coached out by now.

Whole new roster from 2021. How can the one out muscle memory be embedded in a new roster? :(

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whole new roster from 2021. How can the one out muscle memory be embedded in a new roster? :(
Well, some of the current group played with the leftovers from 2021 in 22 and 23. They would have learnt it from them.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree 100% and I’ve said it multiple times we had enough ball to win the game by 30, but the ref wasn’t fair.
South’s should have had 2 players in the bin.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I fucking hate the inside ball to a forward for a settler, waist of a tackle.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was referring to Latrell Mitchell. Hard to stop when going in for a tackle to stop a try. The other Mitchell used his shoulder on Preston, which seems to be OK if you are carrying the ball.
Yeah sorry mate I wasn't disputing just making a general comment about something in the game. In relation to the Latrell slide in, if it is good enough for a player to get done on the field proper making a tackle because it is his responsibility to not contact high even if player drops slips etc. it should be the same in this instance. Fox was well and truly covered and there was no need for Mitchell to get involved.

In my opinion if you are to penalise a player not in possession of the ball for a contact it should be the same for one where the player does have the ball. Results can be the same regardless of in possession or not.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
His wife and kids are ugly as fuck to be honest lmao

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Article on Sutton and his reffing record when we are up against him. Sorry for the chinese link again! Screen shot of part of the article. No doubt djdeep will re-post it in new thread :grinning:

Screenshot_20240402_083135_Facebook.jpg

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep we had double the penalties that Souths received, and were camped on their line for multiple sets.
There were times when I expected to see us penalised for hold downs, and we got away with them.

I thought Sutton was very fair to us.

We lost because Hutchison has no speed to take advantage of breaks, and Mahoney insists on running sideways with the ball, allowing the defence to get up in our face before he passes to our forwards - who are forced to stand flat waiting for the ball.
So you thought these incidents were "fair";
1. mahoney's tackle on latrell deserved a 60 meter penalty.
2. The hip drop by Weighton to not even get a mention by nrl or ref
3. The tass hold down that only drew a penalty when it was a clear 10 in the bin
4. The deliberate head down roll by Murray to give our bloke 10 minutes & 2 weeks
5. The late hip on Ado Carr by latrell when he was already out having no consequence to NRL or game officials despite us losing the player for the rest of the game

I agree that Hutchinson isnt the answer at half and I agree we had enough possession to possibly win that game but those decisions had a major influence in that game. tell me where Souths lost a 50/50 in that game? The fact that we have ahd 19 losses & 1 win under Sutton since the 2015 incident clearly tells me he should never ref us & that statistically he is clearly extremely bias when it comes to us & 50/50's