Referee Stats vs Certain Clubs - Phil Rothfield Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wonder what Sutton does in his spare time... is he married? He’s such a fukn dweeb

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely whoever wrote this will be in the shit with the NRL. Freedom of speech isn't allowed when it comes to refs, they're a protected species.

Reactions: DT

Archie

Waterboy
Reaction score
SOURCE: The Dailiy Telegraph - Phil Rothfield

AS soon as the Brisbane Broncos beat the Canterbury Bulldogs in controversial circumstances on Thursday night, an interesting statistic emerged on social media.

That the Broncos had incredibly won 14 consecutive games under the refereeing of Gerard Sutton at Suncorp Stadium.

So we decided to drill down on the stats further and check the home-ground records of other referees in the past five seasons.

In 14 consecutive wins under Sutton, the Broncos have lost the penalties only four times and have an average winning margin of 12 points.

It’s also interesting that in the year of a massive penalty crackdown on offside defence, play-the-balls and being square at marker, the Broncos were perfect in the second half against the Bulldogs, not giving away a single penalty. That’s more startling than the 14 consecutive wins.

So there is a perception out there that the Broncos always get the “bounce of the ball” or the “50-50 calls” when Sutton is refereeing their home games. He has also done more Broncos home games than any other referee.

So we decided to go back to 2014 and check the penalty record of all referees who have done 10 or more games at any particular home ground.

It turns out Brisbane’s record under Sutton since the beginning of 2014 is 15 wins from 16 games. That’s 93.8 per cent, compared to 70.9 per cent under all referees. Under the highly rated Grant Atkins, it’s just 66.7 per cent.

Remarkably, this exercise threw up another club/referee combination that is even “better” than Sutton and the Broncos.

The Sydney Roosters have won their past 11 in a row at Allianz Stadium under Matt Cecchin yet their overall win record at the ground since 2014 is 68.5 per cent.

I guess it just shows that some teams play better under some referees. At the other end of the table, some teams have shocking records under certain referees.

The Raiders have won only two of their past 10 under Ashley Klein in Canberra.
The Bulldogs have also won only two from 10 under Sutton at ANZ Stadium.

Now let’s get one thing clear. We are in no way questioning the integrity of our referees. They are all impartial. Your columnist believes they do their best each week but suffer from poor leadership. Like the players, they will always make mistakes. Yet we can quietly learn from this research.

Next time the Broncos get a home game, send someone other than Sutton to Suncorp Stadium. Next time the Roosters are at home, maybe give Cecchin another game.

And unless you really want another $10,000 off Ricky Stuart, stop sending Klein to the nation’s capital.
Honestly send this to kenty on nrl 360 or email him so he can write it up in the telegraph .... will get noticed by nrl and maybe something good might come out of it - like fucking off the Sutton wanker brothers

Archie

Waterboy
Reaction score
Some calls are personal judgement on the field by the refs and bunker and u know it ... in the Brisbane game then bye sin bin was a 50/50 call fair enough but the isaako drop ball was a knock on all day ... the refs boss backed his brother but commentators, and others all say it was a knock on which it was..

Yes I am questioning their integrity !

Shonky

Waterboy
Reaction score
The Broncos and the fucking Roosters always got the Refs in there pocket the fucking cheats

Reactions: DT

Anditsgone

Waterboy
Reaction score
THe reality is, win percentage for teams under certain officials tell more than penalty counts do,

It’s not how many penalties are conceded or awarded
It’s where and when certain penalties are awarded that tells the story

And Sutton has an uncanny ability to know when to blow a 50/50 against us to Holt our advantage and swing momentum against us.

The 2014 gf
I’m glad someone bought that up,
I felt during that game the officials did everything possible to wear us out with penalties and keeping Souths with the momentum

I’m glad this is coming out now, and people are talking about it

Anditsgone

Waterboy
Reaction score
Buzz has of late become rather a champion of exposing some dodgy goings on in relation to officials. Yes, stats can lie and it depends in what context they are taken but by gee those are pretty damning. Wonder if they still use cheat sheets in relation to their study of particular sides and their proclivity for giving away certain penalties etc.
Agree
I am liking more of his articles of late,

Anditsgone

Waterboy
Reaction score
Surely whoever wrote this will be in the shit with the NRL. Freedom of speech isn't allowed when it comes to refs, they're a protected species.
Nrl has no power over the media
The media have all the power over the nrl

Best thing the dogs can do, is get the media onside

Roosters, storm and broncos and cowboys seem to have a good relationship with the media

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
To all die hard rugby league fans all you need to remember is that rugby league is a business and not a sport.
Every time you remind yourself of this then you won't be effected as bad by blatant match fixing!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Nrl has no power over the media
The media have all the power over the nrl

Best thing the dogs can do, is get the media onside

Roosters, storm and broncos and cowboys seem to have a good relationship with the media
News limited have shares in Brisbane and Melbourne don't they?
They pretty much are the NRL.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bronco's play better under Sutton, gee he should be the new Bronco's coach after Bennett.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
THe reality is, win percentage for teams under certain officials tell more than penalty counts do,

It’s not how many penalties are conceded or awarded
It’s where and when certain penalties are awarded that tells the story

And Sutton has an uncanny ability to know when to blow a 50/50 against us to Holt our advantage and swing momentum against us.

The 2014 gf
I’m glad someone bought that up,
I felt during that game the officials did everything possible to wear us out with penalties and keeping Souths with the momentum

I’m glad this is coming out now, and people are talking about it
This is exactly what i have been saying for years... he does not allow us to be a chance of winning any games is refs...we hardly ever get one penalty in the first 20 minutes of any game and he has a knack of giving us penalties when the game is gone to even them up.
The stat that matters is where and when then penalties are awarded and has any other team been penalised the most obscure rules as much as us?
Does any other team have every single try referred to the video to seemingly try and disallow it?
I hate to think these refs are cheating, they are carefully allowing some teams a leg up whilst others get hammered like Canterbury.
Sutton is incompetent and biased plain and simple...he has finally been revealed...look at our posts before last weeks game, i knew we were no hope and thats what happened again.
Those who continue to say we are shit are wrong, we are made to be ineffective which turns us into shit most games.
Whenever we get a perceived ‘friendly’ call it becomes the talking point of the weeks round.
Refs are crap and the game has become the same...what a shame

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s the fact the cheating **** isn’t referring both teams the same. The blatant offsides by the broncos all night that weren’t called openly says this Sutton **** is on the take. The fact his brother backs him up and says he had the perfect game makes you wonder how much these little fuckwits made on their tab account.

Status
Not open for further replies.