REFEREE Overhaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Everybody is frustrated with the state of refereeing, in particular the blunders of the video referees this season and it's only round 3. One issue that needs to be addressed is the amount of time they are taking to make decisions. There is all this talk about speeding up the play the ball and letting the game flow but how about the prolonged video referrals which chew up time, slow down the speed of the game and kill all the flow.

The Grill Team were discussing a "Captain's Challenge" system, which sounds good on the surface although it still wouldn't speed up the decision making process. An advantage of the "Captain's Challenge" system is that there will be less going to the video ref! There will always be blunders by the refs, however my ideas are aimed at decreasing the viewers frustration live at the game and at home on tv.

Here are my points on the overhaul of the system.

1. The Captain's Challenge: Each Captains have TWO Challenges. The on field referee makes his decision try/no try, if either captains disagree they can challenge and send it up to the video ref. If the challenge is incorrect they lose one challenge and refs decision sticks. Similar to the cricket challenge system if you are incorrect you lose a challenge etc.

2. The video ref can only rule on the in goal (with the exception of offside from a kick). I can't stand it when they go back 100m and check for a knock on when the ref has called play on.

3. Video Replays can only be looked at in normal speed (with the exception of offside from a kick).

4. A maximum of TWO replays! Each replay must be from a different angle! (with the exception of offside from a kick which means ONE additional replay)

5. IN GOAL ONLY: if the ref misses a high shot, strip etc that's too bad the game goes on. Reiterating an earlier point.

6. If a decision is wrong, you deal with it, move on and let the game flow.

Again my points ARE NOT designed to help refs make perfect decisions but rather speed up the process, let the game flow and make NRL enjoyable for fans to watch. With the current system in place refs are analysing everything under a microscope and watching replays frame by frame. FFS Rugby League is such a simple game and I for one do not want it to keep heading in the direction it is going. I can live with bad decisions but when they take over 3 MINUTES and still get it wrong, it is frustrating. The NRL will lose plenty of fans if something isn't done.

Lastly, I plan to finalise these points and start a petition. I'd be interested to here any ideas of your own and any feedback on my points would be appreciated.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like your first I idea - you solved half the nrl issues with two words "referee overhaul" - get rid of all the refs and bring in a complete new bunch!

You my friend deserve a medal or maybe even a statue outside of nrl headquarters!

Status
Not open for further replies.