News Recruits for the Bulldogs disclose their favoured positions

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Bulldogs‘ signing, Blake Taaffe, has his eyes firmly set on the fullback position for the upcoming year. He’s also optimistic about the team’s chance to advance to the finals – a feat they haven’t achieved since 2016. This optimism comes after an encouraging kick-off to the pre-season .

Previously, it seemed certain that Stephen Crichton
the Panthers’ superstar who signed a four-year contract in January, would take up the Bulldogs‘ fullback position. However, current indications suggest he may stay in the centres, leaving Taaffe as the front-runner for the coveted No.1 jersey.

As per Blake Taaffe, the choice ultimately rests upon who can win over the new coach Cameron Ciraldo during the next few months. The battle for positions, he believes, is bringing out the best in the revamped team.

Well-known for my work as a fullback,” Taaffe remarked when asked about the ongoing contention for the position. “I’m here to train hard, earn respect from my mates, and give my best to whatever role I’m assigned.”

He thinks the internal competition is beneficial as it helps to avoid complacency. “The challenge is pushing me forward. I feel I’m improving daily here and receiving positive feedback from both the coaches and players,” he added.

In 2021, Blake Taaffe emerged as a rising star when he substituted an injured Latrell Mitchell and played a crucial role in guiding the Bunnies to the grand finale. Unfortunately, this heroic effort was dyed in disappointment when they were subdued by Penrith in a tight clash.

Many doubted his ability to play as a fullback due to his size, assuming he was just a half playing out of position. But Taaffe rebuffed such notions. “I’ve played as a fullback for most of my life,” he said.

He further credited his former coach from Rabbitohs, Wayne Bennett, for his guidance and trust during his time there. “We couldn’t grab the victory, but it only intensified my hunger to get back to the top in the upcoming years,” he said.

He further credited his former coach from Rabbitohs, Wayne Bennett, for his guidance and trust during his time there. “We couldn’t grab the victory, but it only intensified my hunger to get back to the top in the upcoming years,” he said.

Other positions are also contested, with ex-Panther Jaeman Salmon aiming for a spot in the back row. However, he recognises the stiff resistance from Viliame Kikau and Jacob Preston.

“Earning a spot in the back row is my ultimate goal. Given the strong presence of Kiks and Presto, I realise it’s not going to be easy. If required, I’m ready to adjust and play in the halves or centres,” Salmon stated.

Amidst some scepticism around the Bulldogs‘ new recruits of versatile players like Kurt Mann, Connor Tracey, Drew Hutchison, and Jake Turpin, Salmon believes it’s misplaced. According to Salmon, the team’s strength lies in its varied roles and depth which was a challenge last season.

Around Belmore, the newfound optimism may seem too familiar, but recent arrivals from winning cultures are resolute that the Bulldogs have the potential to achieve something remarkable next year.

Taaffe stated, “What Ciro and the coaching staff are accomplishing here is commendable. Everyone is fully committed, and the positive outcomes are showing week by week. Everyone understands what needs to improve, but not a single person has lost their motivation or belief.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Come on brother. Terrible is pretty harsh. He's been quite serviceable in his stints there and I can see some ability in the lad.

Always remember, Gus is the sexiest man alive. Whether any of you like it or not.
Fine not terrible but barely average. We're in trouble if he's starting fullback come round 1

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Salmon centre hahaha

There’s no way taffee gets in over tracey anyway

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Taaffe @ fullback...

It's a interesting call, I've always thought Taaffe pass selection is good 3 v 2 on overlap etc. But yeah I'm torn, I'd argue Wilson is a better fullback than him also.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
3rd best fullback option at best.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It is going to depend on team balance on who plays fullback
Either critta or tracey

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salmon centre hahaha

There’s no way taffee gets in over tracey anyway
A fully fit Tracey is the best option at the club for fullback.

Taaffe would be better served at 14 or in the halves.

I just hope upon hope that Crichton is wearing the 3 or the 4. He could do a job at fullback but he is elite at centre.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Critta is needed in the front line to fix our edge defense. It was comedic at times last year watching how easily teams scored against us
A centre isn't fixing our edge defence.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like Taaffe's chances, I see him as either the bench utility or in NSW cup and even there I only see him playing fullback if they keep Papali'i in Flegg for another year.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
It’s a tough decision who gets fullback. We have 3 very capable fullbacks with Crighton Taafe and Tracey. I don’t see how sexton holds his spot. I think Taafe or Tracey would go better at halfback and both have more between the ears.