Recruitment team did not do there homework

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What annoys me is the players who left playing finals this year and are fairly safe in good sides. What would they be like if they stayed and had good coaching here? Makes me feel like we have made some poor choices.

Meaney…
R. Smith…
C. Allan…
Montoya…
DWZ…

Not superstars by any stretch but obviously good coaches see their potential and give them a role that suits their abilities…
We know if they stayed here they would of played and looked like shit. That's what happens to 95% of players here. Reimis and DWZ only 2 I didn't want to lose at their time based on their performances at the dogs (DWZ still nowhere near his Warrior level) but DWZ was also on too much money.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What annoys me is the players who left playing finals this year and are fairly safe in good sides. What would they be like if they stayed and had good coaching here? Makes me feel like we have made some poor choices.

Meaney…
R. Smith…
C. Allan…
Montoya…
DWZ…

Not superstars by any stretch but obviously good coaches see their potential and give them a role that suits their abilities…
Plus motivation and enthusiasm. That's lacking as well at the Bulldogs. Sports performance is 70% mind over matter and confidence. These guys are broken atm.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's why Manly can't get the spoon....
It's almost impossible with a smart halfback.

It defies belief the club doesn't recognise this
How does the club not recognize this? It defies belief that you cannot see that they were clearly after a halfback and went for Moses, Hunt etc.

Just because they haven’t landed a top halfback it’s not to say they aren’t trying

MirandaDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What we need on the field is a leader. Someone barking instructions, pointing, yelling and calling out the soft plays. We have some great talent but nobody who can drive the bus on the field.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
How does the club not recognize this? It defies belief that you cannot see that they were clearly after a halfback and went for Moses, Hunt etc.

Just because they haven’t landed a top halfback it’s not to say they aren’t trying
If we wanted Moses we could have gotten him
Just needed to lay out 1.5 mil. Done.
If we wanted Reynolds we lay out 1 mil. Done.
If we wanted Townsend could have laid out 550. Done.

eman & the Utai SLAM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here.
The problem we made is very clear to me.
Two fold.
First.
we recruited heavy in the wrong positions.
Cotric, JAC, DWZ. Naden. Duffy. All wingers and defensive liabilities for the most part.
This was done with adding flair. But it caused the opposite problem.
For years I was saying none of that matters if we don’t recruit an experienced half and spine players. Still doesn’t. They is the glue. They be the heart of the team.
Look at how we overturned it in 2009. How broncos did this year and cowboys did last year.
Countless examples.
We should have held steady and gone all oit for Reynolds or Townsend or players of this I’ll as they became available.

The second issue is the Barret focus was youth obsessed.
Again I spoke out strongly about it at the time.
Barrett’s idea was he could a dynasty by buyin youth.
But what we cried out was experience.
An experienced team with a solid foundation need youth to go up a notch. A young inexperienced team needs leadership. Not more youth. Unless they are absolutely sublime talent like Benji and Robbie Farah appearing at once. Or Foran/DCE.
Both those times the players were basically the best of a generation.
Even the tigers example was only made possible because they nabbed Prince to help Benji.

When we got Burton, our immediate focus should have been to get Townsend who was out of favour at the time. I reckon 600k he was ours. We then had expetience and guidance with a young G.
We actually realised that when Gould came in board but we let Townsend through to the keeper and cowboys swooped and although Reynolds signed with the brumbies for less, I’m sure a cool million would have done it. Or at least keep Foran for the small multi year deal we asked.

Our balance has been wrong at every step. The only smart decision was Mahoney.
Yeah i agree, the only thing i would add is due to the tolman, napa, she rex, woods, klemmer (played well) we had all the boring forwards and nothing sexy, which the board went out to buy such as cotric. We had reimis and meaney , holland but not an experienced half back.

I keep saying we lost all our leaders when morris, graham, reynolds and others left. Very sad…

eman & the Utai SLAM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I get the sense with what's on the market for 2024, there'll be some intense development of some juniors and some early discussions with those coming to market November 2024 (I've personally got my fingers crossed for Mo Fot). Or someone "suddenly" becomes unhappy at their club seeking a release, only to be coincidentally signed by us a few weeks later. I will not be surprised if we go into '24 with something like 26 - 28 in the top squad for precisely this kind of scenario
Yep its gotta be Mo Fo, titans have spent big on tino and fafita. No way they can keep Mo who is an emerging origin player for unders.
It just depends if he has a young family and wont move to Sydney

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep its gotta be Mo Fo, titans have spent big on tino and fafita. No way they can keep Mo who is an emerging origin player for unders.
It just depends if he has a young family and wont move to Sydney
No one else in Brisbane can afford him but.
Maybe dolphins if there is a retirement. Once he leaves das it bro it’s anywhere really.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I just looked up titans squad.
Where’s everyone getting this idea that titans can’t afford Mo?
The only other prop of note is Fasuoi who is on bank but without Mo they are real short up front themselves.
Fifita is a 2nd rower.
Also remember top 30 all have Mikaele in they list but he’s back in Warrington by choice. He loves it there.
Fas-1.1 mil
Fifita 1 mil
Bronsim 800k
Verrils 500k
Foran 500k
No one else would be on hard cash.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We recruited players from clubs that were at the top end of the table.
Mahoney was the starting hooker of a team that made the GF last season. He was also in the conversation of origin selection.
Burton was in the starting side of a team that won the GF. The same with Kikau.
JAC had plenty of success at the Storm.

No doubt our recruitment team THOUGHT because they are from successful clubs, they will come here and lift the standards of the place and it will have a flow on effect.

Not only did these players not lift the place, but they became worse players themselves. Why?
It is very obvious that these players did not drive the culture at there previous club, they were the recipient of it.

Contrast this to what Bennett did, he went and bought LEADERS like the Bromwich brothers, Kafusi etc.
Now while these players are not "sexy" purchases like Kikau, Mahoney etc as they are at the end of there careers, Bennett identified and knows you need leaders first and foremost over skill, talent etc and look at the season they had?

While these leaders played pretty much at the same level as they did before, look at what effect it did to JMK, Jamayne Isaako, Hammer, Nikorima etc.

Gus and CC have identified and are hoping Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Salmon etc while not sexy buys, will drive the standard. They are not there have a major effect skill wise or grunt guys, but are "locker room" guys.

When you interview for these type of players, you are not looking for there skill sets and what they can do on the park, but what effect that have on the culture which has a far far greater effect that trying to just buy skillful or good forwards in a team with a rotten culture.

Time will tell but i they got it wrong.
Yet we still beat Bennett and his leaders with this rabble

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nobody is shining without a dominant forward pack.... NOBODY.
Nah an Andrew Webster coached team would shine with any players, just ask Wahs fans haha. But in all seriousness, its looking grim without any dominant middles.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah an Andrew Webster coached team would shine with any players, just ask Wahs fans haha. But in all seriousness, its looking grim without any dominant middles.
Maybe we should just play smart and not just try to penetrate and bust in the middle of the action and mayeb playing different.
Best coaches are innovative like Bellamy (the Storm coach).

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe we should just play smart and not just try to penetrate and bust in the middle of the action and mayeb playing different.
Best coaches are innovative like Bellamy (the Storm coach).
Bruh even the Storm worst team had a great pack

I’ve only seen one team Buck the trend of not having a big dominant pack and that was tigers 05

And that was a fluke [emoji38]

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Reed Mahoney led the NRL with 131 missed tackles – 5.5 missed tackles per game – in the first year of his $650,000 a season contract that still has three years remaining. He also finished second in ineffective tackles. "

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Reed Mahoney led the NRL with 131 missed tackles – 5.5 missed tackles per game – in the first year of his $650,000 a season contract that still has three years remaining. He also finished second in ineffective tackles. "

Where's the stat for who had the hardest job this season?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bruh even the Storm worst team had a great pack

I’ve only seen one team Buck the trend of not having a big dominant pack and that was tigers 05

And that was a fluke [emoji38]
You know what they did have... hard workers. Oneil, Lafranci, Galea, Skandalis, Payten, Fulton, Halatau. These blokes were men with big hearts who threw their bodies around not overpaid hacks.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reed Mahoney missed 79 tackles last season for Parra.
This year he missed 131 tackles
lol and he is earning probably twice as much.
Leader my a$$

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reed Mahoney missed 79 tackles last season for Parra.
This year he missed 131 tackles
lol and he is earning probably twice as much.
Leader my a$$
What is it % wise? I guarantee you he had to make more tackles this year because of our stupid penalties and errors. We always seemed to be defending, so if you are going to have a go at a bloke, at least get the full facts in there.

It’s only natural that if he had to attempt twice as many tackles, he is going to miss twice as many too

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is it % wise? I guarantee you he had to make more tackles this year because of our stupid penalties and errors. We always seemed to be defending, so if you are going to have a go at a bloke, at least get the full facts in there.

It’s only natural that if he had to attempt twice as many tackles, he is going to miss twice as many too
People on here are delusional! He literally had to work more because our forwards were too lazy to tackle as well as we had no forwards!

I dont see anyone else besides him up for the captaincy role! Id give it to Preston but I dont want pressure on him! I want him to excel next year

I guarantee you if he had forwards that actually worked, his missed tackles will be less

Last edited: