Recruitment team did not do there homework

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't put too much into the title "gilded". If you've ever read AB Paterson's "The man from Ironbark" you might recall these lines:

"There were some gilded youths that sat along the barber's wall.
Their eyes were dull, their heads were flat, they had no brains at all"
Don't put too much into the title "gilded". If you've ever read AB Paterson's "The man from Ironbark" you might recall these lines:

U ain’t the only rapper here.

I Na$heed build the gilded age
'Til my bank account looks like Billy Gates’
And I stay spitting flames so I'm still ablaze
Spill syllables until they fill d page

My skills’ amazing, I’m still the greatest
Got bills to pay but I will get paper
I kill the stage from Box Hill to Breakfast point
Got a flow so ill that I'm still on point.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I get the sense with what's on the market for 2024, there'll be some intense development of some juniors and some early discussions with those coming to market November 2024 (I've personally got my fingers crossed for Mo Fot). Or someone "suddenly" becomes unhappy at their club seeking a release, only to be coincidentally signed by us a few weeks later. I will not be surprised if we go into '24 with something like 26 - 28 in the top squad for precisely this kind of scenario

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with those specific recruits, we just haven’t set them up for success very well.

Burton - the club needed to pair him with an experienced 7 for his own development. He can’t be expected to be chief playmaker. He isn’t playing well but it’s not through lack of ability. This kid is class but needs time to develop and a forward pack that isn’t made of marshmallows.

Mahoney - no way to predict his woeful form. He was one of the games best hookers. To be fair, he’s trying to do too much and giving the kid the captaincy after playing zero games for the club was too much of an ask.

JAC - has been hot and cold but if you’re expecting wingers to win you games then you’ve got bigger problems. Was developing a nice combo with Alamoti before the kids form dropped and since then he’s had multiple different centres inside him, not to mention moving to the right and inexplicably disregarding the combo he built with Burton.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They did. This not hard to check if you’re unsure.
Not much difference between 8 wins and 7. In not trying to be a dick, i wish we had got their props but seemed a lackluster comparison since they literally have won one game more then the dogs atm

Last edited:

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
‘two good front rowers and a halfback.. the rest are athletes’ Chris Anderson when he put the Storms first roster together. Still seems to be the formula when you look at the top four 25 years later.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bahahahahaha WTF!!!
We signed the wrong player’s bahahahahahaha
I didn’t know we had the luxury of signing whoever we wanted,
Sorry I must of missed the long line of players waiting at belmore to be signed.
Just last year people were complaining about we can’t sign anyone fucking lol.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
U ain’t the only rapper here.

I Na$heed build the gilded age
'Til my bank account looks like Billy Gates’
And I stay spitting flames so I'm still ablaze
Spill syllables until they fill d page

My skills’ amazing, I’m still the greatest
Got bills to pay but I will get paper
I kill the stage from Box Hill to Breakfast point
Got a flow so ill that I'm still on point.
What a talent! You should turn pro, you would make as much money as you earn in your daytime job.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You just got schooled son. !

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We recruited players from clubs that were at the top end of the table.
Mahoney was the starting hooker of a team that made the GF last season. He was also in the conversation of origin selection.
Burton was in the starting side of a team that won the GF. The same with Kikau.
JAC had plenty of success at the Storm.

No doubt our recruitment team THOUGHT because they are from successful clubs, they will come here and lift the standards of the place and it will have a flow on effect.

Not only did these players not lift the place, but they became worse players themselves. Why?
It is very obvious that these players did not drive the culture at there previous club, they were the recipient of it.

Contrast this to what Bennett did, he went and bought LEADERS like the Bromwich brothers, Kafusi etc.
Now while these players are not "sexy" purchases like Kikau, Mahoney etc as they are at the end of there careers, Bennett identified and knows you need leaders first and foremost over skill, talent etc and look at the season they had?

While these leaders played pretty much at the same level as they did before, look at what effect it did to JMK, Jamayne Isaako, Hammer, Nikorima etc.

Gus and CC have identified and are hoping Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Salmon etc while not sexy buys, will drive the standard. They are not there have a major effect skill wise or grunt guys, but are "locker room" guys.

When you interview for these type of players, you are not looking for there skill sets and what they can do on the park, but what effect that have on the culture which has a far far greater effect that trying to just buy skillful or good forwards in a team with a rotten culture.

Time will tell but i they got it wrong.
We couldn't have hoped for better than Mahoney and Kikau

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Not much difference between 8 wins and 7. In not trying to be a dick, i wish we had got their props but seemed a lackluster comparison since they literally have won one game more then the dogs atm
I agree. Dolphins have won 1 out of their last 11 games, massively overachieved at the start of the season.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mahoney was the starting hooker of a team that made the GF last season. He was also in the conversation of origin selection.

No doubt our recruitment team THOUGHT because they are from successful clubs, they will come here and lift the standards of the place and it will have a flow on effect.

Not only did these players not lift the place, but they became worse players themselves. Why?
It is very obvious that these players did not drive the culture at there previous club, they were the recipient of it.

Contrast this to what Bennett did, he went and bought LEADERS like the Bromwich brothers, Kafusi etc.
Now while these players are not "sexy" purchases like Kikau, Mahoney etc as they are at the end of there careers, Bennett identified and knows you need leaders first and foremost over skill, talent etc and look at the season they had?

While these leaders played pretty much at the same level as they did before, look at what effect it did to JMK, Jamayne Isaako, Hammer, Nikorima etc.

Gus and CC have identified and are hoping Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Salmon etc while not sexy buys, will drive the standard. They are not there have a major effect skill wise or grunt guys, but are "locker room" guys.

When you interview for these type of players, you are not looking for there skill sets and what they can do on the park, but what effect that have on the culture which has a far far greater effect that trying to just buy skillful or good forwards in a team with a rotten culture.

Gus/CC foolishly thought Reynolds & RFM would drive the leadership. Would account for why CC persisted so long with a grossly under-performing Reynolds.
I have yet to see anyone who will drive that leadership culture @ Dogs.
In my mind, accounts for why Flegler signed 4 years with Bennett @ Dolphins. Just the sort of player we need.
Dogs wheeled out Mahoney to front the press today. Says a lot about the quality of leadership we currently have available at Belmore. He at least backed CC.
I can’t see Kikau or Taukeiho being able to lead on field performance and culture change. So far a glaring gap for us. IMO Thompson, the England captain, should have been the one.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘two good front rowers and a halfback.. the rest are athletes’ Chris Anderson when he put the Storms first roster together. Still seems to be the formula when you look at the top four 25 years later.
It's just what we need now

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He’s negative about everything we do though
I know, I was trying to find some positives in what he has said in the past. I believe he is a fan, just a glass half full type lol

TBH I can see how some fans find it hard to be positive ATM, but the club and the players ( the ones with the right attitude) need our support more than ever I believe.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Hahahaha the dolphins are 1 win ahead of us

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I know, I was trying to find some positives in what he has said in the past. I believe he is a fan, just a glass half full type lol

TBH I can see how some fans find it hard to be positive ATM, but the club and the players ( the ones with the right attitude) need our support more than ever I believe.
Haha he’s more like a glass of milk has dropped off the kitchen bench and shattered kind of fan