Recruitment strategy

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Without knowing who is in our sights with any certainty. From our perspective I'd be getting on the phone with a team like the Panthers who have a lot of youngsters who are likely to still be on modest deals and reminding them that their success this season will surely mean that at least a few of their youngsters will put pressure on for upgrades over the next year or so die to player managers getting in their ears. I'd also prepare a list with a player or two that we'd be willing to take off their hands in order to allow them to get on the front foot with making some upgrades to get ahead of the player managers. The Panthers would be a team that would be highly succeptible to this strategy. But I'm sure it could also be useful with a few other clubs.

In the background we could also put in some discreet offers to the players that have had breakout seasons to precipitate the player managers getting in their ears. Even if we're chasing someone else from their club.

This is a dirty tactic, but given that we've seen Klemmer and CHN scalped with dirty tactics in recent years, I'd like to think that we've learned that all is fair in love and football.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We should also drive the price up on all their players that they are trying to keep. I notice Crichton still hasn’t re-signed so get in there with a $500k plus deal he either signs with us or he gets more out of Penrith. Hopefully we made them cough up more for Staines then they wanted to aswell.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should also drive the price up on all their players that they are trying to keep. I notice Crichton still hasn’t re-signed so get in there with a $500k plus deal he either signs with us or he gets more out of Penrith. Hopefully we made them cough up more for Staines then they wanted to aswell.
Crichton's situation is a hard one and a dilemma if we pursue him. He's really shining as a complete centre package . He won't be cheap and whilst we have his brother here as leverage it could also work against us. He could easily demand to Penrith bring back my less talented brother and I'll stay for less. This is unlike the mozzes where both where brilliant.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Crichton's situation is a hard one and a dilemma if we pursue him. He's really shining as a complete centre package . He won't be cheap and whilst we have his brother here as leverage it could also work against us. He could easily demand to Penrith bring back my less talented brother and I'll stay for less. This is unlike the mozzes where both where brilliant.
Stephen is that good that I’d be happy to give Christian $150k to play reserve grade here. I still think he will stay at Penrith but it’s good he is planning to test the market so it will drive his price up.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Crichton is worth the money, he’s proven to be a superstar... he reminds me of a young Israel Folau, running style and vertical leap very similar.

One of either JAC or Crichton would be very good, both would be spectacular (albeit highly unlikely).

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Without knowing who is in our sights with any certainty. From our perspective I'd be getting on the phone with a team like the Panthers who have a lot of youngsters who are likely to still be on modest deals and reminding them that their success this season will surely mean that at least a few of their youngsters will put pressure on for upgrades over the next year or so die to player managers getting in their ears. I'd also prepare a list with a player or two that we'd be willing to take off their hands in order to allow them to get on the front foot with making some upgrades to get ahead of the player managers. The Panthers would be a team that would be highly succeptible to this strategy. But I'm sure it could also be useful with a few other clubs.

In the background we could also put in some discreet offers to the players that have had breakout seasons to precipitate the player managers getting in their ears. Even if we're chasing someone else from their club.

This is a dirty tactic, but given that we've seen Klemmer and CHN scalped with dirty tactics in recent years, I'd like to think that we've learned that all is fair in love and football.
We should approach Penrith through the front door that is Barrett ( our advantage ) and not the through the window a way that could cause some dramas, I would be very surprised if the club isn't doing that already !

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Win win
If we get him all good, if he stays a Panter and they take his brother off our hands its not a big loss

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After this Sunday Barrett’s allegiance with the Penny’s will be over, then I predict the fireworks will really start to fire.
There would be young players well aware that they could very well get their career started with Barrett and already know his regime and coaching style, and that he has been held back from prepping them for a move.
This could be their big chance to really open their account into first grade into a side that is not under pressure to threaten for a premierships straight away and can build up to it in a new culture. No expectations.
This would suit guys like Burton and Flanagan. And I think without the added pressure they would play a more natural game and flourish.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Could work for us too. We sign up Christian linger to keep him.
Christian as a 4th string winger is ok.He will only get a game during the origin period.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We aren't the Roosters or Storm we can't go around violating the cap to sign other teams best juniors.

Penrith hold all the cards. We need to focus on developing our own and get some smart buys who want an opportunity to play FG. Burton is a good example because he is stuck behind Luai and Cleary.

Crichton is stuck behind no one in the centres and Penrith will not let him go.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Target Rooster$ Broncos Storm Panthers.. they all have talented players both in FG and kids that will be ready to for FG soon..

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Dont forget also that salary cap could go down to under 9m as well, hence clubs are bulking at throwing money at players like they did years ago.

Most clubs are holding their cards close to chest till end of season to see what other clubs do..

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're recruitment strategy should be geared to when you want your premiership window to open? Obviously it won't open for 2021 or possibly even 2022 given the last few years and the age of your roster, so if you're target window opens 2023 than your recruitment strategy should be focused on priming your squad for that year. That would mean you don't recruit anyone over 30 instead focusing on 20 upwards paying particular attention to your junior base and any that could be accelerated into first grade by 2023.