Recruiting Fijian Speedsters from Rugby 7’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
Hopefully these Fijian Speedsters can get a Visa. Tell Big Mal they're recruited by the Roosters and they'll get one immediately.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully these Fijian Speedsters can get a Visa. Tell Big Mal they're recruited by the Roosters and they'll get one immediately.
If recent events are anything to go by, that;s easier than getting residency in France - there you have to scale a building and rescue a child :grinning:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interesting strategy. I’d be more inclined to go to schools and look at the kids in track field.

But if you want to talk about innovation, we should go to America and look at their running backs that couldn’t make the NFL. Wow.. there’d be some athletes there. Their talent pool is that deep, it’d be a great experiment.
Theres apparently one playing for the walker bros in the intrust cup. Not sure how he is doing though....

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Theres apparently one playing for the walker bros in the intrust cup. Not sure how he is doing though....
He just left for an asst coach job offer back to US.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s great, Looks like that are trying to do this properly and get us some good players to be competitive.
Very much liking all the positive talk an willingness of the board!!

Seem to be heading in the right direction, I’m looking forward too see how this all comes together.
It’s not that funny “bull terrier” haha But cheers mate

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The talent on that island is off its head I’ve been there and seen the oval they train on they have nothing there and most are looking for a good life if we can jag a few I’d be wrapped offer then 150-200k contracts they Be happy with that

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What is our sprint coach doing??
Montoya has got slower!!
Don't underestimate Brooks chasing him down. Brooks put some metres on Morgan a few weeks back and Morgo aint no slouch.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Carlin Isles from the USA 7's side has speed to burn. I think he is one of the fastest if not fastest guys in 7's. Does the 100 in 10.13sec. Also he is faster than Usain Bolt over the first 40. Only problem is he's 28 now.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The only thing I would say is league is a game based 90% on defence. Which 9s and 7s doesn’t.

And the success rate of the Fijians that make it is tiny. For every radradra there are 100 nabulis.

I think we just need to raid the best u20s players. At the end of the day if the roosters or manly or dragons or storm have a gun fullback coming through and we somehow get the word to their manager that if we hypothetically had a talented player like that they would be starting fullback.

At the end of the day league is a business. And I’m sure a young aspiring kid would rather start in their preferred position rather then bide their time in Reggies or on the bench or out of position.
Agree.. there are blokes like young Cini (sp?) from Panthers HG/SG who could potentially have a very bright future.

For the Dogs we have some good prospects coming through SG/HM this year, however there's always the million dollar question "will they make it to the NRL and deliver".

That's a risk you take with any player though, be it a new recruit from elsewhere, or a junior nursed through the grades.

Some players look like superstars in early grades and choke under the pressure of faster/better grades.

Then there are guys like Rhyse Martin. Looked awesome through the grades and in NYC. Hit NSW Cup and kind of plateaued and never continued his early juniors form. Gets a run in NRL and is doing incredibly well for himself.

Fickle game league.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't underestimate Brooks chasing him down. Brooks put some metres on Morgan a few weeks back and Morgo aint no slouch.
Still.
90% of wingers in the NRL score there.
Montoya is slow as fuck!!
& how old is he 21?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Carlin Isles from the USA 7's side has speed to burn. I think he is one of the fastest if not fastest guys in 7's. Does the 100 in 10.13sec. Also he is faster than Usain Bolt over the first 40. Only problem is he's 28 now.
Carlin Isles at 80 years old with dodgy knees and a walker would still be faster than Montoya making a break.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This.

Before 7s became the big deal that it is now, a lot of Fijians good at footy used to go to Australia to play bush league. It usually came with a job with one of the sponsors or a friend of the Club, and therefore earned these fellow much more than they would ever had back home. My home league - Group 20, had quite a few over the years.

Some knuckled down and did fairly well, but others became lazy and then got themselves in trouble. Not sure if it was work ethic, homesickness, lack of structure etc.

Having said that, with better structures that i'm sure there are in now, it is possibly quite different, and the next Semi Radradra is probably our there - just might take some patience to find him.
Funny by your user name I thought you lived in Croydon Sydney, Group 20 is also my local Group, Fifita also played in Group 20 and before he went to Sydney was dating my step grand daughter, not that I would be very proud of it now.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Funny by your user name I thought you lived in Croydon Sydney, Group 20 is also my local Group, Fifita also played in Group 20 and before he went to Sydney was dating my step grand daughter, not that I would be very proud of it now.
I actually live in Brisbane.

I was living in Croydon at time i joined the kennel.

Grew up in Leeton.

Status
Not open for further replies.