Recruit watch: Reed Mahoney

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That is what I mean. Schoupp stifled so many potential chances last season. We need to pick someone that knows what he has both inside and outside.

Braidon Burns isn’t my favourite player but he could be the perfect fit. He does seem to have good game awareness. Jacob Kiraz I would love to see at centre. He would be a good option there too. I think Bronson Xerri has been penciled in at right centre for 2024. So would be good to see how Kiraz goes on the left this year.
I can't trust Burns' mobility, bloke is like a traffic cone. I also doubt we've got Xerri penciled in for anywhere yet, who knows what he will actually be like once he gets back to playing footy. Hoppa missed only two years and he didn't really return as the same player.

Everythings pointing to Ciraldo just shuffling through our options right now, whoever the best fit to start this season will start and we'll go from there.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think the fact that CC has worked with both players before will help.

I think it is VITIALLY important we get off to a good start ..... otherwise, those mental demons accrued over the past few years will quickly resurface.

5 from 10 is the bare minimum to start the season in my view.
Beats 0 from 10

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't trust Burns' mobility, bloke is like a traffic cone. I also doubt we've got Xerri penciled in for anywhere yet, who knows what he will actually be like once he gets back to playing footy. Hoppa missed only two years and he didn't really return as the same player.

Everythings pointing to Ciraldo just shuffling through our options right now, whoever the best fit to start this season will start and we'll go from there.
Another unknown is whether have can play at the same or similar level,without performance enhancers. Either way, i reckon we would have got him cheap.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Burns is a defensive liability imo too

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 & 7 are the spots up for grabs for season 2024.

Only a standout ‘23 for Flanagan will help him to secure the number 7 on a full time basis. Only time will tell.

Our number 1 beyond this season seems more settled with Chrichton more than likely moving from the foot of the mountains to hold down the FB role on a long term contract.

Doesn’t augur well for Averillo and BBO, being at the club beyond this season as they’re both in the final year of their current contracts.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 & 7 are the spots up for grabs for season 2024.

Only a standout ‘23 for Flanagan will help him to secure the number 7 on a full time basis. Only time will tell.

Our number 1 beyond this season seems more settled with Chrichton more than likely moving from the foot of the mountains to hold down the FB role on a long term contract.

Doesn’t augur well for Averillo and BBO, being at the club beyond this season as they’re both in the final year of their current contracts.
Strongly agree, Averillo and Flanagan are currently on their last year of their contract. If they don't perform and play like rubbish, we may possibly have Moses and Crichton coming.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great signing but bit injury prone I fear. Will be good for Flanno who needs all the help he can get

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
With Kiks, Burton only just starting pre-season it doesn't leave all that much time for new attacking/defensive structures to be nailed down before the season starts.

It's gonna be a work in progress for 10 games at least to become consistent for Reed to work with them...plus the minus of a non-contributing 7.

But we are slowly improving so there's that.
I‘m not a bit concerned about timing, the preseason up to the Xmas break is all about establishing base line fitness and endurance which they didn’t need since they were playing and training at the World Cup. The cohesive, positional and team work really kicks in after the break, working on offence and defence structures and running plays. Plus those 2 have the bonus of working together and with CC for a long time at Penrith, so they know a lot about each other.

I believe (it could be just hope) that we will hit the ground running and then develope as the season progresses.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I‘m not a bit concerned about timing, the preseason up to the Xmas break is all about establishing base line fitness and endurance which they didn’t need since they were playing and training at the World Cup. The cohesive, positional and team work really kicks in after the break, working on offence and defence structures and running plays. Plus those 2 have the bonus of working together and with CC for a long time at Penrith, so they know a lot about each other.

I believe (it could be just hope) that we will hit the ground running and then develope as the season progresses.

Always a Bulldog
(See my subsequent reply post for further clarification :grinning: )

Not worried about Kiks or Burton....just those around them and how they will adjust and cope.

We all hope we hit the ground running but that might be a stretch so early on when we have what amounts to an underperforming 7 and 1 (at this stage from what we've previously seen)....and a forward pack adjusting to Reed's service they haven't encountered before and skills...better to be realistic on how successful we will be early on and therefore be able to sustain momentum into the season.

Of course we'd all love to have immediate success. But that might be a stretch early on.

Reactions: ATT

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
(See my subsequent reply post for further clarification :grinning: )

Not worried about Kiks or Burton....just those around them and how they will adjust and cope.

We all hope we hit the ground running but that might be a stretch so early on when we have what amounts to an underperforming 7 and 1 (at this stage from what we've previously seen)....and a forward pack adjusting to Reed's service they haven't encountered before and skills...better to be realistic on how successful we will be early on and therefore be able to sustain momentum into the season.

Of course we'd all love to have immediate success. But that might be a stretch early on.
They will have had over 500 hours of training together by the time the season starts, if CC has what it takes then it will show up pretty quickly. Mahony will have thrown ~10,000 passes in training, everyone will know what to expect. I'm not anticipating any real clunkiness in attack, defence is what will take time, players trusting those inside and outside of them.

I'm not really concerned about Flanagan, he just has to keep tackling like he has been and slot into his designated attacking spot, catch and pass and the occasional run, just like he did successfully in many games last year. Prior to the break he was staying back for repetitive kicking practise, be nice if he translates that in games.

Fullback, I have no idea who will be playing there, my guess is Averillo, I'll try and get along to a few treating sessions in the next couple of weeks and see who is training there in the opposed sessions.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They will have had over 500 hours of training together by the time the season starts, if CC has what it takes then it will show up pretty quickly. Mahony will have thrown ~10,000 passes in training, everyone will know what to expect. I'm not anticipating any real clunkiness in attack, defence is what will take time, players trusting those inside and outside of them.

I'm not really concerned about Flanagan, he just has to keep tackling like he has been and slot into his designated attacking spot, catch and pass and the occasional run, just like he did successfully in many games last year. Prior to the break he was staying back for repetitive kicking practise, be nice if he translates that in games.

Fullback, I have no idea who will be playing there, my guess is Averillo, I'll try and get along to a few treating sessions in the next couple of weeks and see who is training there in the opposed sessions.

Always a Bulldog
Hope it pans out like you anticipate TT.

Sir dogeth style

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Miraculous would be Turvey playing 7.
2021 Flannos D and running game were non existent,they improved.Now he will have a good dummy half feeding him better ball, it will make a big difference. He has the elements to be a decent half, if he can grow in confidence and self believe that's half the battle
this could be very true, and no matter how good a half you are you need 12 other players to make that shine and make those outcomes happen and this year we have a team of winners and champs instead of plodders and money wasters around flanno so this team roster could really help boost his game as well as his confidence and tbh i hope he does as it prevent our money on him being wasted and we gain a great player,, also not having tbagz lowering his confidence may also help as he did improve alot last year ill give him that

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this could be very true, and no matter how good a half you are you need 12 other players to make that shine and make those outcomes happen and this year we have a team of winners and champs instead of plodders and money wasters around flanno so this team roster could really help boost his game as well as his confidence and tbh i hope he does as it prevent our money on him being wasted and we gain a great player,, also not having tbagz lowering his confidence may also help as he did improve alot last year ill give him that
"no matter how good a half you are you need 12 other players to make that shine and make those outcomes happen" 100%.

I remember back in the late '80's early '90's after leaving Belmore and having the radio on to hear who received the Man of the Match. On many occasions it was none other than Terry Lamb and he would always say exactly that. "Without the forwards laying the platform, for us backs, we don't look as good, so a lot of credit goes to our pack".

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree on Burns. Can’t really play him on the wing either I feel he would be an easier target for opposition there. Does he play on the left edge? Having Kikau now might make it easier for our left edge centre in defence.
Either way I see the same as you, only one in the backline that has a spot cemented is Addo Carr.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"no matter how good a half you are you need 12 other players to make that shine and make those outcomes happen" 100%.

I remember back in the late '80's early '90's after leaving Belmore and having the radio on to hear who received the Man of the Match. On many occasions it was none other than Terry Lamb and he would always say exactly that. "Without the forwards laying the platform, for us backs, we don't look as good, so a lot of credit goes to our pack".
It’s a totally different game in 2023. You can’t win a comp without an excellent half.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree on Burns. Can’t really play him on the wing either I feel he would be an easier target for opposition there. Does he play on the left edge? Having Kikau now might make it easier for our left edge centre in defence.
Either way I see the same as you, only one in the backline that has a spot cemented is Addo Carr.
Whoa there...Kiraz too.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a totally different game in 2023. You can’t win a comp without an excellent half.
Nah, only half agree. Yes, you need an excellent half, game has changed but the basics are still the same. Any team from any era need a decent forward pack to be competitive and ultimately win a premiership, without it you're just making up the numbers as they still lay the platform for the backs to do their job.

We haven't had that for nearly 2 decades, but we're on the way with Gus and Ciraldo steering the ship.

Rorters had a near representative forward pack when they won, you only have to look at the Panthers forward pack, the last 2 seasons to see without a decent forward pack you're NOT going to win a comp.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
a decent forward pack to be competitive
8. King [Rock]
9. Mahoney [Huge upgrade]
10. TPJ [Fit, Head right?]
11. Kikau ['nuff said]
12. RFM [Injury-free]
13. Topine (Preston) [One or both will seize a huge opportunity. If it's both, RFM might be pushed to the bench eventually.]

15. Davey (Hughes)
16. Sutton (Pele)
17. Thompson (Patolo)

That is potentially much more than a only decent pack.
Hand it to Barret and it will be ordinary at best (that's just the value Trent adds).
Give it to Ciraldo however, well...