Recommend-A-Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Saw Revenant last night.

I will start out by saying that the scenery and cinematography is dead set amazing. Plus Leo will surely now win his first Oscar. It's a good tale of revenge. It's also VERY violent - My Wife had her hand over her mouth quite a few times (which is what she does when shocked).

My criticism of it is that the plot is a bit thin - I mean its a fairly straightforward tale of revenge... with no sub plot.

I give it an 8/10 as a cinematic experience. Not sure if it would translate well to a smaller screen but the again, most people have 70 inch TVs with good sound!
Thanks for that. Saw the shorts for it on the weekend when I went to the movies and it looked okay. Not a real fan of Leo but I just may give it a go. I want to go and watch The fifth wave.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Training Day and Street Kings are awesome.
Yeah Training Day is quite good. Filmed in real gang locations.. P Stone Jungles in Los Angeles - Cops really go with backup when patrolling that area. I have a relative that lived in Los Angeles (Had a very good job there, Not American or anything) and yeah we somehow took the wrong turn somewhere and ended up with a pretty scary situation in that part of LA..

Last edited by a moderator:

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Saw Revenant last night.

I will start out by saying that the scenery and cinematography is dead set amazing. Plus Leo will surely now win his first Oscar. It's a good tale of revenge. It's also VERY violent - My Wife had her hand over her mouth quite a few times (which is what she does when shocked).

My criticism of it is that the plot is a bit thin - I mean its a fairly straightforward tale of revenge... with no sub plot.

I give it an 8/10 as a cinematic experience. Not sure if it would translate well to a smaller screen but the again, most people have 70 inch TVs with good sound!
Saw this on Friday night, gf was the same - spent a lot of the time with her head buried in my shoulder due to the brutal violence. We both thought it was excellent though, best scenery in a movie in a long time

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Saw the shorts for it on the weekend when I went to the movies and it looked okay. Not a real fan of Leo but I just may give it a go. I want to go and watch The fifth wave.
I watched the trailer for the 5th wave and it looks interesting enough but it also looks very "twilight"

From what I gather from the trailer, aliens invade in a bunch of different waves (knocking out power, etc) and all of the highly trained military around the world could do anything to stop them, but some untrained teenagers will stop them 'cause they're teenagers with love and angst.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Speaking of Revenant, haven't seen it yet but the cinematography reminds me of Ravenous. Same kind of Colonial war setting with Guy Pearce. Very, very good movie. Some of the best cinematography I have seen in a movie.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Creed.. It's a great movie..

If you love Rocky..especially the first one..you'll enjoy this.. Excellent acting and direction.. Stallone throughly deserves his Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor and I'm surprised Michael B Gordon wasn't nominated for a Best Actor award..I'm REALLY surprised it wasn't nominated for Best film (which the Academy has the right to expand the amount of nominees in the category..up to ten films..if they deem a film worthy enough) or best original screenplay nor Coogler for director.. Although, apart from Stallone (who should win) they'd probably miss out on taking home an Oscar, but they, and the film deserved to be recognised for their efforts by the Academy..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Saw the Hateful 8 today.

Like many Tarantino films, its a bi drawn out with a lot of monologues, and silences in between. You need to be a fan of that sort of movie to enjoy it I think (it was about 2 hrs 45 mins long).

And like Tarantino other movies, there is random Kiwi/Aussie character, and violence - a helluva lot of very gory violence... but won't make a comparison to scenes from his other films ad that may spoil it. Soundtrack and cinematography were good too.

I had an entire theatre to myself, which was weird at first, but felt pretty cool as i got to sit myself in that sweet spot - about 3/4 of the way back bang on the middle seat.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Saw the Big Short Yesterday.

Even though they do try to explain things in laymans terms (and in a funny and entertaining way), I think you would ideally have some knowledge or interest in the levers for the GFC.

It reminded me of when after Lehman Bros went down, I was liquidator of a company that owned a CDO. I had to have it explained to me several times just what the hell it was!

It was so criminal how the bankers got away with everything with barely a scratch whilst good people lost their homes, jobs, superannuation, and in some cases, their lives.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
My latest addition to my Pop! Vinyl collection, from a Movie I STRONGLY recommend

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
not a movie but has anyone watched freaks and geeks watched the whole season on Netflix surprised it got cancelled after one season it's a great show.

Stringer

CAR RAMROD
Reaction score
not a movie but has anyone watched freaks and geeks watched the whole season on Netflix surprised it got cancelled after one season it's a great show.
One of those shows that gained a massive following once it was cancelled, bit of a shame.

They have been playing the whole season on channel V as well, so many actors that were just starting out. Apart from the obvious ones - Ben Foster, Samaire Armstrong, Rashida Jones, Jason Schwartzman, Shia LaBeouf etc

Not sure if it's been mentioned but This is the End is quality.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One of the Mrs favourite shows. I never got into it myself. Took me forever to get the show on DVD for her. For some reason they just didn't sell it anywhere in Australia and all the online stores were charging through the roof.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Am I the only one who has zero interest in Deadpool?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
A funny **** you will like haha, he is a non traditional super hero you'd enjoy seeing dish out justice with his style.
Is it that red guy or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.