Rebecca Wilson dies aged 54...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malla

Reaction score
Legendary Telegraph columnist Rebecca Wilson dies aged 54

The Daily Telegraph
14 minutes ago

LEGENDARY journalist, columnist and broadcaster Rebecca Wilson has passed away.

The award-winning sports journalist at The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph lost her long and very private battle to cancer this morning.

Her husband John Hartigan and sons Tom and Will this morning said:

“Our amazing Bec lost her long battle against breast cancer early today.

“She passed away peacefully in the family home in Sydney while surrounded by her loved ones.

“Courage has always been a significant part of her DNA, no less in her desperate battle against her insidious disease.

“Rebecca kept knowledge of her illness a closely guarded secret. The majority of her friends, colleagues and indeed members of her family were unaware of the extent of her illness. She did so to limit their suffering.

The legendary columnist was also a loving mum to Tom and Will, pictured here in 2009.
“We are so proud that she was so fearless in her chosen role as a sports journalist. She brushed aside evil trolls, bullies and organised crime figures to prosecute her craft.

“She proved that women had an equally important role in sports journalism as her male counterparts.

We dearly love and miss our Bec.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...4/news-story/50754b4399a5b603b34f43d799287791

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
True. RIP Rebecca.

Stinky Wizzleteats

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
I just shook my head at some of the utter crap she wrote.

Very shocking and sad to hear.

RIP

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
May not have always agreed with what she said..but at least she put her opinion out there.. Had no idea she was sick.. Sad to hear a person passing at a relatively young age.. R.I.P.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
She wasn't evil, just a typical journo doing her job. Let's face it, a lot of people here have it out for their bosses/ex bosses, and that's what Noad was to her, and hey, not many here like/liked Noad either, so I can understand where she's coming from.

RIP Rebecca - condolences to her family.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Poor thing , must've been mind torturing to go through that.

She was a standout sports journalist regardless of her gender and has broken ground for females in sport reporting.

Job well done .. RIP

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
probably a better person then a journalist
RIP

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course few of us here would have strong views on her journalism, but yeah, a family has lost a wife and mother.

She certainly was keeping the cancer very private.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Despised her as a Journo, as she had a special level of hatred towards our club, but as a mother to two young boys, and a wife, I have to say RIP, and offer my condolences to her family and friends.

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like the rest of you I wasn't a fan but my thoughts and prayers are with her family today. RIP.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How terribly sad. A lot here did not like her at all ( for her journalism talents) but it just goes to show that although some people in the public eye may be unpopular for their comments and beliefs , first and foremost they are still human beings and they fight the same battles as others. Hers was obviously fought on a private level with her not wishing to burden others with her problems.

I feel for her family and friends who now have to live their lives without her and I pass on my sincerest condolences to them at this sad time. RIP Rebecca Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.