"Re-building period" a BS excuse for poor planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A few people have suggested we are going through a re-building period in 2007.

I think this is a bull**** excuse clubs and coaches try to use to cover their own arse for poor future planning.

Re-building periods occur when stars retire, like Fittler at the Roosters, Johns at Newcastle, Langer at Brisbane. I think it's fair enough you can't replace players of this calibre overnight, but when you have the potential there in the first place ie.Thurston, Asotasi, McNichol, Anasta, Myles, soon to be O'Meley, I don't cop the re-building excuse.

I know all about the salary cap, but every club has a salary cap to cope with and maybe we have not handled it well since we discovered we cannot rort the books.

Holding on to guys like Hughes, Perry, even Grimaldi, who worked hard with his limited talent, is costing us now.

Our off-season buys of Millard and Cleal are hardly setting the world on fire.

I say this not to whinge about the past, but to learn from our mistakes in the future.

We never seem to be in the hunt for anyone promising which is arrogant of us thinking we have this outstanding personnel. We are slow right across the park, forwards and backs, and I'd be looking at guys with speed and agility to come to our club. We had the same problem a while ago and we bought Brett Howland but that didn't work.

Rugby League is a young man's game and all the players we have lost are under 24years old.

My point is we shouldn't be in a re-building period if management stepped up.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you. The evolution of the club should be almost seamless.

A

Abz

How the heck are we going through a rebuilding period if we're losing quality players every year because we have no room under the salary cap for them... due to the amount of stars we have???

bigbird

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A few people have suggested we are going through a re-building period in 2007.

I think this is a bull**** excuse clubs and coaches try to use to cover their own arse for poor future planning.

Re-building periods occur when stars retire, like Fittler at the Roosters, Johns at Newcastle, Langer at Brisbane. I think it's fair enough you can't replace players of this calibre overnight, but when you have the potential there in the first place ie.Thurston, Asotasi, McNichol, Anasta, Myles, soon to be O'Meley, I don't cop the re-building excuse.

I know all about the salary cap, but every club has a salary cap to cope with and maybe we have not handled it well since we discovered we cannot rort the books.

Holding on to guys like Hughes, Perry, even Grimaldi, who worked hard with his limited talent, is costing us now.

Our off-season buys of Millard and Cleal are hardly setting the world on fire.

I say this not to whinge about the past, but to learn from our mistakes in the future.

We never seem to be in the hunt for anyone promising which is arrogant of us thinking we have this outstanding personnel. We are slow right across the park, forwards and backs, and I'd be looking at guys with speed and agility to come to our club. We had the same problem a while ago and we bought Brett Howland but that didn't work.

Rugby League is a young man's game and all the players we have lost are under 24years old.

My point is we shouldn't be in a re-building period if management stepped up.
The Board and Mr Noad are to Blame , Folkes and coaching staff are not at fault.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Did I read a suggestion that Grimaldi was a waste of space?

If so this entire thread is a joke IMO.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are not going through a re-building phase. We were favourites to win the comp at the start of the year ffs. We are being punished for our own success! Nurturing all these young guys and turning them into stars, only for us not to be able to hang onto them because of the cap. Other struggling clubs are paying overs for our big names, and we simply cannot match them with the cap.
With the players we have, we should be near the top of the ladder. I dont know why it just isnt happening. Im sure it will click at some stage and we will start murdering other teams, but thhe question is, Will we do it whilst we still have a chance to make the 8, or will it happen whilst we can no longer make the 8 this year?

JayJay70

Farewell Haz!
Reaction score
I disagree. I don't believe the club is in a rebuilding phase.
I think Millard's got potential and will only get better.
Cleal attacked the line strongly last week while he was on the paddock (hopefully he can do better).
Anasta is a hot and cold player. He's playing good now but he's been ordinary since he's been at the roosters (if he was still at the bulldogs no doubt 50% of the posters in the kennel would be asking for his sacking!).
It's my understanding that Thurston was let go for the club to distance itself from the Coffs Harbour thing.
You say that we are arrogant to not shop for good players. Good players are expensive. We can hardly keep the players we have let alone buy new players. But the other thing is we produce great players. Have a look at all the players you mentioned that have gone to other clubs. We have the personnel at the club, we consistantly produce great players that end up going to other clubs. I think the salary cap is what is making club players into mercenaries. O'Meley didn't want to stay at the Bulldogs he made the choice. What can you do if players want to leave?

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Did I read a suggestion that Grimaldi was a waste of space?

If so this entire thread is a joke IMO.
i second that grimaldi was probably one of the most under-rated players in the nrl last year, so to say hes a waste is just plain trash

A

Abz

Grimaldi isn't under the Salarly Cap, but he's working with out club. He's the man.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Who said it was a rebuilding phase?

Sometimes players don't perform on the field.

Every year there has to be some clubs that perform under their expectations. That is the nature of competition.

No-one was whinging about all these "obvious deficiencies" before the season started because we all believed we had the team on paper that could compete.

Unfortunately we have underperformed now all these closet "experts" come out of nowhere pointing out why we are failing, as if they knew it would happen this year.

When the year started, our team would have been in anyones top 4 predictions. The management put a good team on the field for 2007. The team is underperforming, that is all.

AC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe we are?

I don't think this season is a right off as re-building but then again we have lost a huge amount of players in such a short time due to the cap. Reality is and I wish people would get used to it, is when you produce quality players clubs are going to pay them over what they are worth because it is the only way to entice them away from the club.

Losing those players before the younger guys were ready is what hurts us a little. In time some o the players will improve others not so much - but it's a phase we have to endure sooner or later. People need to accept that and deal with it and stop placing blame here and there. It will happen regardless of coach, ceo or waterboy.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe we are?

I don't think this season is a right off as re-building but then again we have lost a huge amount of players in such a short time due to the cap. Reality is and I wish people would get used to it, is when you produce quality players clubs are going to pay them over what they are worth because it is the only way to entice them away from the club.

Losing those players before the younger guys were ready is what hurts us a little. In time some o the players will improve others not so much - but it's a phase we have to endure sooner or later. People need to accept that and deal with it and stop placing blame here and there. It will happen regardless of coach, ceo or waterboy.

Amen to that.

Drummer_boy05

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have the players to beat any side... Whether they decide to turn up or not each week is the problem. Management have lots to do with thier attitudes.

Hopefully this whole rucas will spur them to start performing

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think we have overpaid a couple of players, and are losing quality players because of it

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who said it was a rebuilding phase?

Sometimes players don't perform on the field.

Every year there has to be some clubs that perform under their expectations. That is the nature of competition.

No-one was whinging about all these "obvious deficiencies" before the season started because we all believed we had the team on paper that could compete.

Unfortunately we have underperformed now all these closet "experts" come out of nowhere pointing out why we are failing, as if they knew it would happen this year.

When the year started, our team would have been in anyones top 4 predictions. The management put a good team on the field for 2007. The team is underperforming, that is all.

It's pretty much a shock to the competition because from 2001 to 2006 (except 2005 with like 12 injuries) canterbury have always been in and around the top four.

So naturally everyone expects that to happen again. The only deficiencie i always whinged about was holdsworth (since the day we signed him). Never said anything bad about anyone else.

midas

Kennel Established
Reaction score
no doubt the Dogs are in a rut at the moment and they have lost some excellent players of late (most notably Thurston and Asotasi)

but they finished 2nd on the table last season and were preliminary finalists... plus, i think if they did hit form they would be contenders this season

so i do not think the Dogs this year can be considered to be in a rebuilding phase... they are simply a team out of form who have lost some big name players recently due to the salary cap

and in regards to arguments that the club has planned poorly, just consider the kind of players teams like the Dragons and Roosters have lost in the same period

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
People need to accept that and deal with it and stop placing blame here and there. It will happen regardless of coach, ceo or waterboy.
ditto

D

DoggyStylz

i think Ben Roberts should be the new coach coz he aint doin sh!t on the field.....

Status
Not open for further replies.