Random Rugby League Facts

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just saw a video (Freddy and Eighth) from a few days ago. Did you know that Brad Fittler didnt wear a mouthguard when he played footy. He said he couldn’t bare it. I thought that was amazing. He’s lucky he didn’t lose his teeth.

Do you kennel members have any other stories about rugby league players???

Last edited:

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1982, the Canterbury Bulldogs and the Newtown Jets played an entire match without scoring once. This is still the only match in first-grade history to finish 0-0. The weather conditions are thought to have had something to do with the result, as it was very wet and cold that Sunday. Coincidentally, Newtown was excluded from the premiership once the season finished.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who has scored the most tries in a single NRL match? On the 19th of June in 1920 Glebe forward Frank Burge scored 8 tries against University in a 41-0 victory at the Royal Agricultural Society Showground in Sydney. From the current game - Josh Addo Carr has scored 6 tries in a game for the Melbourne Storm (Round 9 - 2021)

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brisbane think they’ve won 6 premierships.

Dragons fans think their team have won more than one premiership.

David Peachey also didn’t wear a mouth guard.
What’s with these players, playing without mouth guards. These days teams can’t insure players without one.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I started a similar thread a while ago inspired by a FB page that posts random RL facts.

Here's one I saw today:

FB_IMG_1649051551882.jpg

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been some legendary field goals across the NRL-era, from Cooper Cronk's clutch strike for Queensland in 2014 to Johnathan Thurston's game-winner in the 2015 Grand Final.

However, no one is more familiar with the one-pointer than Dragons, Panthers and Roosters five-eighth Jame Soward, who owns the record for most field-goals in the NRL-era with 26.

This puts him 14th on the all-time list, with the majority of players on the list playing before they were changed to a singular point.

Out of current players, Daly Cherry Evans is the closest to Soward, kicking 20 during his 218-game career.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
In 1982, the Canterbury Bulldogs and the Newtown Jets played an entire match without scoring once. This is still the only match in first-grade history to finish 0-0. The weather conditions are thought to have had something to do with the result, as it was very wet and cold that Sunday. Coincidentally, Newtown was excluded from the premiership once the season finished.
I was at that game. When Turvey and the Newtown player Ken Wilson tried to kick field goals, the ball didn’t bounce up, it stuck in the mud. Warren Ryan as coach of Newtown offered the opinion, “the better side drew”.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Les Johns once kicked a field goal with his left foot while his right leg was held in a tackle by a Wests player attempting a charge down.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2006 Newcastle Knights set a Club record in the second round with a 70-32 annihilation of the Canberra Raiders at Canberra Stadium.