Raiders search for another Nadruku

Status
Not open for further replies.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=439281

THE Canberra Raiders are keen to unearth more exciting talents in the country who could follow the footsteps of the great Noa Nadruku, a powerhouse winger from Namatakula, who played for the team back in the 1990s.

The Raiders set up two academies one each in Suva and Nadi, to give an opportunity to young players to upskill their performance by participating in programs similar to ones used for schoolboys in Australia.

Nadruku, a former Fiji 7s star, played 92 games for the Raiders from 1993-1997 and picked up the National Rugby League (NRL) Dally M Winger of the Year award in 1993.

Last month, the Raiders took Tiri Shaw from Marist Brothers High School and Ba Provincial Free Bird Institute's Semi Valemei for a training camp.

Earlier this week, the Raiders signed up Valemei on a two-year contract. Raiders high performance recruitment manager Peter Mulholland was at Prince Charles Park in Nadi yesterday to witness the Fiji Secondary Schools Rugby League Vodafone Trophy quarter-finals.

"I'm here to watch the schoolboys championship and some of our academy boys who are in it," Mulholland said.

"I'm just looking for other boys who could join the academies. The boys come together over a period of time to train at the academy. There are more players in the Eastern Division so we want to build the Western Division academy to have about 20 players in each academy."

Mulholland said players wishing to be part of the academy had to meet certain criterions.

He said they provided the programs and gear giving the boys an opportunity to participate.

"We have school teachers who run the academy for us," Mulholland said.

"The boys are selected as per criteria. It is on their behaviour at school, their footy ability and their academics as well, so it is fully balanced.

"Out of the academy we took two boys to Canberra in February and they stayed for a month to be assessed. One of them had to return to finish school and that is Tiri. Semi we have kept him and he has been tremendous. He played with the Nadi Aviators for a little bit and was in our program for the last 12 months.

"We would love unearth another Noa Nadruku and I know that Noa would love that as well.

"We give the opportunities to the boys but don't make promises to them. We give them the opportunity to work on programs which is the same that the boys are working on in Australia."

Mulholland would be back into the country during the Deans Trophy finals to scout for more talents.

"It is wonderful for the boys to be playing league and union, it's just rugby," he said.

"That's the important part of it as the boys keep playing both but as long as they get a break at the end of the year."

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I spoke to Raelene Castle about something like this with the ask the Boss segment & she said something like we don't want them because they usually get homesick. How about we get someone like James Pickering to help us out over there?

Lynne Anderson?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That's the forward sort of thinking the Bulldogs need. Then again all this sort of things not helping the Faders at the moment.. 0 from 3.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No mention of how Noa threw his career away?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"Winger Noa Nadruku once famously drank 26 schooners, six to 10 stubbies and half a bottle of wine in an 11-hour binge"

That's a solid effort right there!
Nothing out of the ordinary down in beautiful Canberra........

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...3308d6d48?sv=f0ee40142c6b87101e5149789ba614a3
Canberra Raiders players placed on alcohol ban
Phil Rothfield, DailyTelegraph
April 25, 2012 12:00am
UNDER-pressure Canberra coach David Furner has introduced the first booze ban of the NRL season just eight weeks into the competition.
A number of players turned up to front-rower Brett White's 30th birthday party last weekend but couldn't touch a drop.

Even his old Storm coach Craig Bellamy came from Melbourne for what turned out to be a dry party.

Furner insists he's not concerned about the club's colourful history with booze-fuelled incidents.

Winger Noa Nadruku once famously drank 26 schooners, six to 10 stubbies and half a bottle of wine in an 11-hour binge. Todd Carney was sacked and deregistered by the NRL for repeated alcohol related offences.

And centre Joel Monaghan was sacked after being photographed on Mad Monday in a disgusting sexual act with a teammate's dog.

Furner says there is nothing wrong with the current first grade players or their behaviour in the national capital but it's more about the professionalism required in the NRL.

"We just want to be focusing on football for the next few weeks," Furner said, "I just asked them to be professional.

"It's a small sacrifice to win football games.

"A lot of young blokes these days like to get out and test their fame a bit but we need to win some footy games."

There's speculation from within the Raiders ranks that the players are not happy about being ordered off the drink so early in the season and The Daily Telegraph understands Furner is struggling to retain the support of the team.

Speculation about his future is nothing new to the former Kangaroos forward.

"It's the environment we're in," he said. "I can only control what's in front of me.

"The speculation is frustrating more than anything but I understand you need results and we can't use injuries as an excuse."

Furner is under contract with the Raiders until the end of next season but it hasn't stopped speculation that State of Origin coach Ricky Stuart has been sounded out about an NRL comeback.

Stuart is close to Raiders supremo John McIntyre and the club's chief executive Don Furner.

The Raiders next three matches against the Cronulla Sharks, Manly and Parramatta Eels will probably determine Furner's future.

Status
Not open for further replies.