Status
Not open for further replies.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not all memberships are ticketed.

Not all ticketed members attend all games.

Our members totaled over 20,000 for the first time in 2016. I believe we had something like under 4,000 members in 2008.

Attendance averages can vary from year to year largely due to scheduling (2 Monday & 2 Thursday games this year). It will also vary depending on if we host the Good Friday game against the Bunnies, which we didn't this year.

The club is not "losing money big time". And cool, you're not renewing next year in protest. I'm signing up 3 new members when I renew my membership. Christmas is sorted.
I was a ticketed member for 10 years , so yes I know exactly the difference. I also know that figures are fudged all the time... I've seen the crowds decrease visibly.. I don't let people piss in my ear so they can tell me that it's raining... raelene wouldn't benefit from announcing the record membership at all would she ...

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They won't get rid of raelene because it will make us look sexist. Even though she's fkn shit political correctness is more important

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score
Realene and Dib certainly need a cleanout.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
I was a ticketed member for 10 years , so yes I know exactly the difference. I also know that figures are fudged all the time... I've seen the crowds decrease visibly.. I don't let people piss in my ear so they can tell me that it's raining... raelene wouldn't benefit from announcing the record membership at all would she ...
Attendance figures are fudged, but the membership figure would be accurate. As for the ratio of ticketed/non-ticketed members? That's for the club and the NRL to know.

For example, Souths had something like 16,000+ non-ticketed members last year which is why their crowds are low when you local at their total member numbers overall.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Attendance figures are fudged, but the membership figure would be accurate. As for the ratio of ticketed/non-ticketed members? That's for the club and the NRL to know.

For example, Souths had something like 16,000+ non-ticketed members last year which is why their crowds are low when you local at their total member numbers overall.
If you're buying what they're selling, then good on you, that's your prerogative. I guess I'm just a pessimist

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

As far as I'm concerned, your not a member, unless your membership includes tickets to the games.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure next year is a Voting year as well !
This year was a voting year and it's every two years so next vote is 2018. If Dibb gets his way and keeps Des and it's a disappointing year the members will be looking for blood.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Im pretty sure next year is a Voting year as well !
Dib needs to keep that in mind.
Whatever he sets in motion now, won't be reversible till after the members have had their say on his position.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, your not a member, unless your membership includes tickets to the games.
I can understand that point of view, but at the same time there are a heap of people financially contributing to the club and only getting a shitty pack from China for it. That's gotta count for something!

It's the freebie non-ticketed memberships that a few of the clubs giveaway which are bullshit. At some point the NRL will probably crack down on those being counted in final figures the same way they cracked down on people signing up to Big League subscriptions only as being counted as Club members.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not all members live in Sydney y'know.
If you don't live in Sydney, and can't get here to watch a couple of games in a season, why be a member ?
That's the whole point. Why do you think the cheapest ticked membership is 5times the cost of a non-ticketed one?
Clubs sell non-ticketed memberships, to pad numbers and because it cost them nothing.
Anyone who believes the bullshit about "being part of the club" is a sucker.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
No need to look at Raelene tbh. Our problems are on field issues and that is 100 percent Des' responsibility. Turvey said Raekene is doing a good job and from all I've seen I don't disagree with that. Des and the stupid contract that was signed before Raelene was even at the club which afforded him too much power are the problems.

Being pusses off with Des is logical. Gunning for Raelene is just a knee jerk reaction.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
No need to look at Raelene tbh. Our problems are on field issues and that is 100 percent Des' responsibility. Turvey said Raekene is doing a good job and from all I've seen I don't disagree with that. Des and the stupid contract that was signed before Raelene was even at the club which afforded him too much power are the problems.

Being pusses off with Des is logical. Gunning for Raelene is just a knee jerk reaction.
Even a battered wife can smile in front of a camera.

My point being, just because on the surface and from the outside a situation looks under control, doesn't mean behind closed doors it's far from it.

From memory it goes:
Turvey knows Castles father.
That lead quite significantly to her getting the job.

Turvey is covering for the board who are lining up Castle to go.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So when we miss the finals next year, will THAT be the time to punt Des? Or will the board bend over and take it again and thank him for the servicing?

Bongo

I miss Lachlan Lewis
Reaction score

My point being, just because on the surface and from the outside a situation looks under control, doesn't mean behind closed doors it's far from it.

From memory it goes:

You know what there is a lot of people here with there head in the sand wake up and smell the roses

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no fan of the position Hasler has put us in and his inability to change something that hasn't worked in a while but this whole thing this week smells of a publicity stunt of someone wanting it to make it look like something was being done, action being taken due to let's say membership renewals who are part of a certain persons KPI's. For me Castle clearly put this whole circus in motion to make it look like something was being done. I also genuinely believe Turvey was speaking from the heart and genuinely worried about the clubs future but stuffed up severely by saying specifically what was discussed during a board meeting. He could have said everything else and that would have been fine but that comment about how Des tried to use statistics to justify or back up his presentation isn't on. I love Turvey and will never forget the speech he made at the Olympic stadium in 2002 during the salary cap drama. He loves the club with his heart and soul.

The positives we can take from this now is Des knows he is no longer untouchable. Turvey might have lost the fight but landed a few blows and shows Des is figuratively bleeding. If he wants his extension he has to earn it. The board has gotten rid of his mates and finally let him know who is in control. 2016 clearly showed that statistics and numbers will never beat footballers instinct and a sense of adventure

Let's hope des can take that on board

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

From memory it goes:

If that's the case I think they are looking at the wrong solution.... Or at very least an incomplete solution. Personally I think Turvey is a pretty honest guy and is offering a pretty honest assessment of what he thinks tge problems are. But after this season I do think Des is a problem. He might not be the while problem, I don't know... But if looking to identify the problem he's a good place to start.

I actually do buy the media line that there's some factional division in our board at the moment, but at the end of the day I don't know what is going on behind the scenes. I guess only time will tell exactly how things will unfold from here.

But I do know what my personal feelings are and I think if we're struggling on the footy field the most logical conclusion is to first look at the person who is in control of the football department.

I think regardless of what happens with the CEO (if anything), the club has to wrestle back some control of our footy department from Des.

if he insists in total control he must be accountable for results. Not making the top four since 2012 and the fact we are still struggling to fill key positions is a big worry to me. The Hopoate sogning was the last straw for me. Yes Raelene signed off on that deal too but it never would have gone down if Des didn't want it to. And Des is the guy who picked him at fullback whenever he was available and threw an ageing and wearing BMoz in to the deep end during a crunch game.

I dunno. Personally I see too many problems which seem to start with Des to think sacking our CEO will solve our problems.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Castle is incredibly close with Mortimer. Mortimer knows Castle's father. Isn't hard to see how Netball scored major brownie points and get her position.

The problem is - board and CEO signed off on allowing Des to bring over his entire entourage. That included the flop Cleal. CEO has also fucked up a number of times, costing us some serious big name players, add to that blowing out the budget allocated to her by the League club board (which 2 club members also belong to). Her time is wearing thin at the Bulldogs and the novelty of a female CEO has well and truly worn off.

Turvey speaking to the media shifted the spotlight away from Castle and firmly onto the coach.

Is the coach completely blameless for 2016's dismal end season? Nope, not at all. He is to blame for some things (game plan), but not poor recruitment, nor Castle screwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.