News Rabbitohs happy Marshall's move to Bulldogs fell over

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rabbitohs happy Marshall's move to Bulldogs fell over

Benji Marshall was set to join the Bulldogs and play out his career alongside brother Jeremy Marshall-King but South Sydney playmaker Cody Walker is pleased the deal fell over.

Marshall, who was unwanted by Wests Tigers, believed he was close to finalising an agreement with Canterbury late last year but contact with the club ceased after the sudden departure of CEO Andrew Hill.

A desperate Marshall was forced to phone Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett seeking an opportunity and the Bulldogs are set to see first hand what they missed out on when the two clubs meet in their annual Good Friday clash at ANZ Stadium.

Marshall, who played alongside his brother for the first time with the Maori team in last month’s All Stars clash, won’t get the chance to grace the same field as him this weekend as he is out with a broken foot.

As far as Walker is concerned, Canterbury’s loss is South Sydney’s gain as the 36-year-old playmaker has had a positive influence on the group since arriving in Redfern six weeks ago.

“I watched him play in the 2005 grand final (for Wests Tigers) and you just pinch yourself that he is at our club,” Walker said.

He has inspired so many to play the game of rugby league, to step and flick pass and do all of those things.

“He is quite happy to do whatever role the team needs which is a huge credit to the guy because of what he has achieved in the game.

“He has done it all really and he is just a pleasure to have around the group as well. He is always tipping up the younger boys with whatever they need to do. He has been awesome.”

Marshall played 50 minutes as a middle forward in the opening round and sparked a Rabbitohs comeback that ultimately came up just short against Melbourne.

The following week against Manly he came on at centre before switching to halfback after captain Adam Reynolds was forced from the field for a HIA

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should have got him for 1 year.
Just his experience and leadership would have been invaluable for our young back line. He would of made sure we executed what Baz wanted.
No way we would of been scoreless for rounds 2 and 3 with him on the field.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We really missed a trick by not bringing Benji over on a one year deal. His experience would have been invaluable. We'd still be getting creamed in the forwards and losing games....but we wouldn't be losing to nil, may have beaten the broncos and he would be teaching our young playmakers plenty which would hold them in good stead for the rest of their careers.

Anyway, Benji will get to play finals in his last season, so it's probably worked out well for him. Good for him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We should have got him for 1 year.
Just his experience and leadership would have been invaluable for our young back line. He would of made sure we executed what Baz wanted.
No way we would of been scoreless for rounds 2 and 3 with him on the field.
He really helped the Tigers..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
yep but we didn't move on.............................
But that's the thing with this club, there are so many "yep but we didn't, move on..."

When is this club ever going to learn

We should of kept Cook..."Yep but we didn't, move on..."
We shouldn't have signed Foran for $1M..."Yep but we didn't, move on..."
We should of kept Finucane..."Yep, but we didn't, move on..."
We should of made Barba, Hannant, Klemmer etc play out their contracts..."Yep but we didn't. move on..."

What's next??....We shouldn't have let Burton get out of his contract....What are we then going to say...."Yep but we didn't, move on..."

Do you see the problem? It's not about crying over spilt milk, it's about making decisions that is in the best interest of the club and team moving forward. Which we keep stuffing up and shooting ourselves in the foot.

Malla

Reaction score
We really missed a trick by not bringing Benji over on a one year deal. His experience would have been invaluable. We'd still be getting creamed in the forwards and losing games....but we wouldn't be losing to nil, may have beaten the broncos and he would be teaching our young playmakers plenty which would hold them in good stead for the rest of their careers.

Anyway, Benji will get to play finals in his last season, so it's probably worked out well for him. Good for him.
I disagree man. I don't think Benji should have forced his way onto that Souths team. Because of Benji, there's probably a young guy either on the cusp of making the 30 man squad that won't get a contract or someone that is not getting picked to play first grade.

I think Benji is a great player and has had a great career. He is not going to be the reason why Souths win a comp this year (if they do). He should have hung it up. A young player getting minutes on that Souths team under Wayne Bennett could make a career.

Anyway that's just my opinion on that.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree nothing crap story...but i would have taken him fir sure this year. Teams know all out attack is going through Flanagan so he is an easy target

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dont know about Benji's influence on young playmakers. He hasnt done much for the career of Luke Brooks.

Nor did he help Milford out when he was at the Broncos .

In hindsight we probably should have made Blake Green see out his contract

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I disagree man. I don't think Benji should have forced his way onto that Souths team. Because of Benji, there's probably a young guy either on the cusp of making the 30 man squad that won't get a contract or someone that is not getting picked to play first grade.

I think Benji is a great player and has had a great career. He is not going to be the reason why Souths win a comp this year (if they do). He should have hung it up. A young player getting minutes on that Souths team under Wayne Bennett could make a career.

Anyway that's just my opinion on that.
Winning is the main objective, man....and I think Benji adds a lot to that team....as good as the team is without him. Souths were getting decimated when he came on in round one. He turned the game and made the game much closer than it had any right to be. I think he would have done wonders for our young team. But to each their own opinion.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I dont know about Benji's influence on young playmakers. He hasnt done much for the career of Luke Brooks.

Nor did he help Milford out when he was at the Broncos .

In hindsight we probably should have made Blake Green see out his contract
I think it's a mental thing with players like Brooks and Milford. They've both been around a long time. they both know how to play....they don't need a senior mentor so much as a sports psychologist, I think. Flanagan and Avo are just very young and inexperienced....I think even just watching a player like Benji closely week in and week out would be good for them. So long as they re mentally focused and willing to learn. Those things are the keys. Even discounting the factor of influencing young players, which I guess is debatable. There's no doubt in my mind a player like Benji would have capitalised on some of the opportunities we've blown this year. I think he would have been a very good get for us.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Man, no team has played shittier than us this year, not even the tigers. Even a 0.0001% improvement is better than nothing.
I don't think he would make difference, he would just be exposed defensively and throw no look balls all over the place and be treated like Hoppa by our fans lol.

I'm so over it, can the club just cheat the cap and chase contracted players? :tearsofjoy:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't think he would make difference, he would just be exposed defensively and throw no look balls all over the place and be treated like Hoppa by our fans lol.

I'm so over it, can the club just cheat the cap and chase contracted players? :tearsofjoy:
We will never know

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry I call BS. Basically everything stopped after Andrew Hill left. So he was the one pulling the strings and wanting to sign Benji. Surely if there was a deal on the table and other people from the club wanted him others could have moved forward to finalise the deal. We're not the first club/business to have a CEO depart.