News Rabbitohs centre James Roberts checks into rehabilitation facility

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
all illness whether its mental or sickness not injury is just poison dysfunctioning the body he should give up toxins like coffee alchohol and perfume and such and just accept himself

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the issue is but cutting out all forms of alcohol and medicinal drugs usually helps clean players up - maybe he should try that.
I remember watching the first Ben Cousins special about 10 year ago where they had a panel of commentators, councilor, doctors etc ready to save Ben from himself. Psychobabble and people with no experience talking shit basically. They all probably meant well. Ben was interviewed and said he'd probably stick to the occasional beer and steer clear of the drugs. I thought, this blokes gonna end up either in jail or dead. Thankfully he is still alive.
Addiction/alcoholism. There is no moderation. Hopefully Roberts lands with the right people if he is indeed alcoholic or an addict, people with actual experience with recovery.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't help but think that the club has pushed him into rehab given the timing rather than this being a decision Roberts made himself. Had he checked in a month ago I wouldn't be suspicious, but I don't think it's coincidence that he's gone into rehab a day or so after training resumed. Seems like the South's players have been out of sight out of mind for the club.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Souths are unfortunately starting to learn why both of their previous respective clubs didn't fight that hard to retain them.

That's not to say they are doing anything illegal, but it makes me wonder (given recent incidents with both), if perhaps their previous clubs deemed their issues too "difficult" to fix, and too disruptive to the rest of the team, to specifically focus on resolving.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Should be quarantined if the NRL is realistic. He has not been at principal residence and would have been in contact with many outside the game...

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rabbit...14-day-isolation-period-after-rehab---_200520

According to the protocols: "May only leave their residence for essential household, family or medical needs. This should be reserved for exceptional circumstances and only undertaken if these tasks cannot be performed by another member of the household".

South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly reached out to the NRL earlier this week regarding as to whether or not Roberts will need to undergo a mandatory 14-day isolation period.

The decision will ultimately be made by the NRL's biosecurity expert, Doctor David Heslop.

"We're working with them (NRL) on what the biosecurity protocols are for James and we'll be guided by their decision," Solly told the Sydney Morning Herald.

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett said he'd support Roberts' immediate return to the game if he's physically and mentally fit.

'We will have to see how he is physically and mentally, but if he's able to play against the Roosters then there's no reason why he wouldn't be considered,'' Bennett said earlier this week.

Uncle of the South Sydney star and a former NRL player himself, Amos Roberts, said the centre will be more than ready to tackle the 14-day isolation period should he be required.

"He'll know he's another step closer to playing," Roberts said.

"If they are the rules and regulations, you have to abide by them. If it's 14 days he has to sacrifice, it won't be that much for him because he'll know there's that light at the end of the tunnel.

"If he's happy, a lot of things can happen for him."

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This guy will just go on another 14 day bender when he isolates

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Its a shame he has these demons because he's a very talented player. He needs to be careful he doesn't end up like Ben Barba, all the talent in the world but couldn't keep his shit together off the field, which ended his NRL career early