QLD names team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
No Cherry Evans. Haha

Source: http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...d-maroons-reveal-team-for-origin-3/ar-BBDDGTE

In-form playmaker Daly Cherry-Evans has been overlooked for selection in Game 3 of this year’s State of Origin series, with selectors instead opting to select Brisbane Broncos halfback Ben Hunt to replace Johnathan Thurston.

However, despite overlooking Cherry-Evans for the decider, Maroons coach Kevin Walters maintained the Manly star’s Origin career isn’t over, labelling rumours that he’s disliked within the Queensland camp as “hogwash”.

Hunt is one of two debutants in the Queensland team alongside Melbourne Storm utility Cameron Munster, who has taken the place of the injured Darius Boyd. The inclusion of the two rookies brings the number of Maroons debutants for 2017 up to eight, a rare occurance for what has been an incredibly stable side for the past decade.

The rest of the squad remains unchanged from the side that defeated New South Wales in Game 2 of the series, however selectors have not settled on a starting XIII, instead naming the team in alphabetical order.

What is confirmed is that Hunt will make his Origin debut from the bench, while one of Munster or Michael Morgan will start at five-eighth.

It’s a remarkable turnaround for Hunt, who was recently dropped by the Broncos to Queensland Cup side Ipswich. However, Walters said the Brisbane half brought more versatility to the Maroons team.

“Ben, we like what he can bring to the team,” Walters said.

“DCE obviously came up in a lot of the discussions but Ben will be coming off the bench for us.

“If DCE was playing, he had to be in the starting 13 … Ben can bring a bit more value off the bench in other roles we are going to designate towards him.

“We like what we see in Ben. He could possibly be the future of the Maroons as well.”

Queensland Maroons team for Origin 3

Will Chambers

Gavin Cooper

Cooper Cronk

Dane Gagai

Matt Gillett

Tim Glasby

Coen Hess

Valentine Holmes

Ben Hunt

Josh McGuire

Michael Morgan

Cameron Munster

Dylan Napa

Josh Papalii

Billy Slater

Cameron Smith (c)

Jarrod Wallace

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Cant remember if there has ever been a team named in alphabetical order. Have seen squads named as such but to me this is another sign of a chink in QLD's armour.

In any case the refs have proven they can completely take a team out of the equation or tip the scales in a teams direction with a crucially timed penalty.

NSW will have to be switched on between the ears because I cant see them getting the rub of the green in the couldron.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
DCE will never be picked again.

The players don't like him.

They way he talks to the media is they way he talks to the players.

I don't think he has a funny bone in his body. He just doesn't fit in.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
DCE will be the halfback next year when Cronk and Thurston are gone. It's pointless playing him off the bench as he's a right sided player and Cronk is already there. Doesn't work having 2 halfbacks on the same side of the field. At least Ben Hunt can play hooker or as a runner.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
QLD Team:

01. Billy Slater
02. Dane Gagai
03. Will Chambers
04. Michael Morgan
05. Valentine Holmes
06. Cameron Munster
07. Cooper Cronk
08. Dylan Napa
09. Cameron Smith (c)(k)
10. Jarrod Wallace
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Matt Gillett
13. Josh McGuire

14. Tim Glasby
15. Josh Papalii
16. Coen Hess
17. Ben Hunt

Dogs1938

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Will be a good game but f**k you QLD

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a joke DCE want picked.

Ben **** has done nothing all year and DCE has been tearing it up.

Cam smith, Best hooker in history, referee, manager, Qld Origin selector and NRL CEO.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a joke DCE want picked.

Ben **** has done nothing all year and DCE has been tearing it up.

Cam smith, Best hooker in history, referee, manager, Qld Origin selector and NRL CEO.
Won't matter if hunt plays like shit. The refs have shown frequently that when Qld are failing they'll blow the whistle for them and conveniently overlook their indiscretions until they're in front on the score board. Game three last year really showed me that the refereeing can be shamelessly one sided even in the biggest matches in Australian rl.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Going to be a cracker will be at Suncorp with the family to cheer on the maroons can't wait

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Ok... so they picked Morgan, Hunt and Munster. They pick 3 five-eighths for one game of Origin?? I'm trying to imagine what kind of role Ben Hunt will play when he comes on. He won't play hooker of halfback as Cam Smith and Cronk are 80 min players. What will they use him for?

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ok... so they picked Morgan, Hunt and Munster. They pick 3 five-eighths for one game of Origin?? I'm trying to imagine what kind of role Ben Hunt will play when he comes on. He won't play hooker of halfback as Cam Smith and Cronk are 80 min players. What will they use him for?
Munster can play anywhere- actually he is more of a centre or FB than a 5/8.

Hunt is the utility and QLD always pick one. He's done well in that role in the past for Brisbane.

DCE has been as awful as Pearce has been at Origin level.

Bet you Milford is the one replacing one of them and don't be shocked if Ash Taylor is the halfback.

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Munster at six.yewwwwww!
Sort of makes sense- Melbourne Storm spine 1,6,7,9

If Cronk was injured and not Thurston, Morgan would be at 6.

I actually thought they may have brought in someone like Moga to play centre and leave Morgan where he was but Hunt will be a good utility- and has played 9 for Brisbane in his early years, and played as a small backrower in the past too.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think munster has more points in him at 6 and with morgan in the centers it should be a potent combo,I am tipping hunt will have a blinder with all the shit that is getting put on him,DCE is not an origin player for mine and i think nsw are pissed off he did not get selected for the same reason,ben hunt is a much better defender

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Munster can play anywhere- actually he is more of a centre or FB than a 5/8.

Hunt is the utility and QLD always pick one. He's done well in that role in the past for Brisbane.

DCE has been as awful as Pearce has been at Origin level.

Bet you Milford is the one replacing one of them and don't be shocked if Ash Taylor is the halfback.
I rate Ash Taylor very highly and would love to see the Bulldogs go after him when he is coming off contract. Think he is one of the smarter halves going around, always has plenry of time on the ball and always seems in control. I doubt we will get him though as Wayne Bennett will probably get him back. I am sure it was his long-term plan when he recommend Taylor to the Titans, making it easier to re-sign him.

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I rate Ash Taylor very highly and would love to see the Bulldogs go after him when he is coming off contract. Think he is one of the smarter halves going around, always has plenry of time on the ball and always seems in control. I doubt we will get him though as Wayne Bennett will probably get him back. I am sure it was his long-term plan when he recommend Taylor to the Titans, making it easier to re-sign him.
Apparently Taylor is close to being back at Brisbane if not next year certainly in 2019.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
DCE was JT's instant replacement, big gamble from the maroons, wish them well.

Status
Not open for further replies.