Putting down pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm sure there's another of these threads somewhere, but meh. i'm too upset.

my poor fatty fell today and broke his fetlock (ankle). the vet has him comfortable until i get out there tomorrow where i will do the honours. it absolutely kills me...i got him after my boyfriend died, so he's been my mate for a while. why is it that something that can't even speak makes me more upset than a human?
i seriously can't stop crying. poor fatty :(

~doggie~diva~

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
my dog of 13 years had a stroke and we had to put her down... words cannot explain how devastated i was...

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
wtf is a fatty fetlock

and having to get a pet put down is the worst. esp when the dog youve known and loved since birth attacks your step mums little **** kicker dogs and rips its head half off on your 12th birthday and is put down the next day.

now i will never have another dog. just my little kitty <3

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah I had to put my dog of 15yrs down last year. Basically grew up with him.

Never cried so hard in my life, and I aint ashamed of saying it!

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i've only had the boofhead for 4 months, but he's one of those horses i've never had to raise my voice at or use a crop on. was the ideal horse/rider bond.
who else will i eat peanut butter with now? *sobs*

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wtf is a fatty fetlock

and having to get a pet put down is the worst. esp when the dog youve known and loved since birth attacks your step mums little **** kicker dogs and rips its head half off on your 15th birthday and is put down the next day.

now i will never have another dog. just my little kitty <3
his name is fatty, even though i did name him carl webb. fetlock is the horse equivalent of an ankle.

once a horse breaks any kind of weight bearing bone, he has to be put down. they're just too big, heavy and nothing can be splinted

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
yeah I find it worse having to put an animal down then losing someone

I had to have my dog put down back in March due to complications from pneumonia, I didn't want to have her put down but at the same time it was too cruel to leave her alive suffering and not breathing properly

then she started losing weight and hair and couldn't jump so I couldn't have that no more

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Its ****ed putting pets down, I remember the Labrador I grew up with went blind, could barely walk and had a massive cyst thing on his back.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i personally have to put this guy to sleep. the worst thing is the way they look at you before you pull the trigger. they know what you're going to do... :(

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
got my staffy put down 6 years ago depressing time for me,i had him cremated and had to buy another staffy 2 days later to remove the empty feeling

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
People under-estimate the value of pets and the contribution they bring to the family. Dogs in the particular are the best. They are loyal, loving and always there for you. The hardest thing about moving out was leaving Mad Polly behind, but thankfully I'm in St Clair 1-2 times a week. When I lost my previous Dog it was sad and seeing her go from a healthy Dog to a very frail Dog in a short space of time was hard to take. I'm glad people see what pets bring to the table and much better than those that make fun of the deceased. Dogs are like one of your own in the family and they love you regardless. I'm lucky that I've had the two best Dogs one could hope for in the last 15 years. Mad Polly soon turns 8.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A few years ago, we had to put our dog down. He was like my best friend. We had him all my life. I cried so much. :( It's so boring without him around.

I want another dog though, one to take for walks and such. We never had to take our dog for walks cos a) our yard is quite big and b) he was so ****ing energetic he would run around the house full speed 100 times a day. He was faster than me :p but that's not hard lol.

We just have a cat now, which is okay but cats are boring ffs. My parents don't want another dog.

S

Snake Jailbird

Hard one Elise i feel for u. How old is he? How did the accident happen if u dont mind me asking?

Im dreading the day i have to put down my Chilli. She is a wonderful companion and a loving friend. One of my only friends in my life. Thankfully the day i have to put her down is 10+ years away :grinning:

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
Mad Polly was wrapped today to see me. I think I'll be allowed to bring her to my new house, but don't want to unsettle her too much though. Good to see the compassion for pets and it's very hard. When my previous Dog was very sick, it was hard to make the call and worse when people made fun of the death.....

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
mine was put down last yr, had a brain tumor or something and was having caesuras :(

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard one Elise i feel for u. How old is he? How did the accident happen if u dont mind me asking?

Im dreading the day i have to put down my Chilli. She is a wonderful companion and a loving friend. One of my only friends in my life. Thankfully the day i have to put her down is 10+ years away :grinning:
he was only 5. i got the call early yesterday morning after one of the stablehands had taken him out, and he'd apparently reared up and lost balance after getting spooked. big animals never know how to handle their weight very well.

poor bugger...it's always hard having to put your animals down, but there was no other option. i couldn't handle seeing him suffer...i found that more distressing than having to put him to sleep.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
I had a Cat put down about 5 years ago.....Old Age, Epilepsy (yes there is nothing wrong with being owned by an Epileptic Cat) and Diabeties was the end of him.

The Vet Surgery that did the deed even sent us a Sympathy Card a few days later.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
if it were possible id put down a few from this site :p

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
horses get epilepsy too. you see it more often in the arabian breed.

btw you've been owned by an epileptic cat? it really is the funny farm isn't it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.