Problem with Referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
The problem with when a referee makes a bad decision, is that fans will only remember a bad decision and rarely a good one, or a bad one towards the other team.

I'm not saying Russell Smith had a good game, but this might have been one of the worst performances I have seen from him ever.

If a ref makes a bad decision in favour of your team early on in the game, and then later makes one against your side, rarely is a fan going to think: "Oh, that's ok, Souths copped a bad call 40 minutes ago, this just evens it out."

What brought on this thread is the poll on NRL.com, where only 26% of the fans think the refs are doing a good job.

IMHO, i think there is too much for the refs to handle, and while they aren't doing a great job, it is satisfactory in most cases. Trying not to be biased, but I think a ref only has a poor game, when his decisions affect the outcome of the game. Patten getting sent off, should of/could of cost us the game yesterday, and i think that was a pretty bad call. But otherwise, its tough to call strips right 100% of the time, and forwards passes 100% of the time, we should be happy with say 85% accuracy.

What does everyone else think?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All i look for in a ref is consistency. The fact that Polglaise got binned put a smile on my face. Keep it consistent and im happy.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
How the hell do you have minus Kennel points? lol

I think Polglase's offense was much worse than Patten's, but yeah, i agree with the consistency part.

Rabz

New Pup
Reaction score
If you are looking for balance I would suggest (with my red and green eyes) that you guys slightly got the edge with the 50-50 calls which really put us under pressure when we could have had the momentum. IMHO General being binned was an error that could have been costly, but if Smith wasn't trying to even out the blunder during the rest of the game you could have fooled me.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I have been saying for the last 3 years we need 2 refs on the field, a offensive ref which monitors the ruck and so on and a defensive ref which insures the 10 metres.

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RICK JAMES said:
I have been saying for the last 3 years we need 2 refs on the field, a offensive ref which monitors the ruck and so on and a defensive ref which insures the 10 metres.
Why bother with another official on the field?

Just get the freakin' linesman to do something other than wave the flags when the funny looking ball goes through the really big sticks...

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hence the the 2nd ref on the field, the linesman are a complete waste of time.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
RICK JAMES said:
They trialed that, I don't think it worked out though...

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
F R 3 D 5 7 A said:
The only way to bring consistency is to make more refs FULL TIME.
Yeah fully! Totally agree with you there, I think there are only two FT refs at the moment. Steven Clark and Tim Mander?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Tim Mander retired...

Steve Clarke... Sean Hampstead and Paul Simpkins are the only experienced ones there

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
Russell Smith is fairly experienced isn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.