Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince may be crowned
By Daniel Pace
August 23, 2005

WESTS Tigers halfback Scott Prince has a good chance of making his rugby league debut for Australia this year, but only if Andrew Johns is unavailable for the start of the Tri-Nations series.

Prince, in combination with halves partner Benji Marshall, has been electric this year for the Tigers, who have won a club-record eight consecutive games to move into the top four of the NRL.

Chairman of selectors Bob McCarthy said tonight that Prince, a strong contender for the Dally M Medal, was "playing as good as anyone" in the competition.

"On form he deserves high representative honours the way he's playing," McCarthy said about Prince, who lost his Queensland Origin spot to Johnathan Thurston this year.

Johns has indicated he'll miss Australia's Tri-Nations opener against New Zealand in Sydney on October 15, if he can guide English club Warrington to the Super League grand final.

The Newcastle captain may be forced to withdraw from the entire tournament if the Australian Rugby League refuses to grant him an exemption for the opening Test.

That would open the door for Sharks skipper Brett Kimmorley or Prince to be selected as first-choice halfback.

"The only thing Scotty will be dirty about is watching the form of Kimmorley (in the Sharks' 68-6 win against Manly) on the weekend," former Test captain Wally Lewis said.

"That was probably the best game he's had for a couple of months."

Advertisement:
McCarthy warned Prince would stand little chance of being selected if Johns played for Australia in its four Tests overseas, as there were no tour games scheduled to blood rookies.
Instead, a utility player such as Craig Wing, Ben Hornby or Craig Gower was likely to be picked as a back-up No.7 to Johns.

Former Test halfback Steve Mortimer meanwhile said Prince's Test credentials would be enhanced if the Tigers could make this year's grand final, a feat he believed they were capable of achieving.

"They remind me of our 1980s (premiership-winning) Canterbury side where we were young and just threw caution to the wind," Mortimer said.

"They're a delight to watch. They're as good a chance as any but I still put the Dragons as the favourite."

T

TdoggBulldog

this kids apparently the nicest guy

my grandad lives in mount isa met prince few years back

my grandad knew his dad quite well... he was tellin me last w/e.. he said his dad was a real loud fella and said prince was quiet and shy lol...

my grandad says princes mums a good person too!

:D

broncosmitch

Broncos Ball Boy
Reaction score
Id wont happen, hes just not one of those guys australia will pick, on form he is behind andrew johns but you will see people like brett kimmorley there infont of him.Even craig gower aswell.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
i think he should get picked because he is the main reason tigers are doing so well he keeps the team organised and it would be good to have someone like that in the australian team.

spannaforce

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
good luck to him, he turned his life around, tries hard and should be rewarded. The Tigers are certainly reaping the benefits.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
If something bad happens to Johns-Warne, Kimorley will always get the number 7 jersey handed to him on a golden platter...

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
some how he deserves it...

the good thing about the kangaroos is that they have heaps of depth unlike the wallabies who are in heaps of shambles and got no depth at all

Bek

JC is my homeboy
Reaction score
I think prince deserevs it more that Johns. Johns is going over to england because of the money and if he misses the first test then i dont think they should put him in any of the other ones.
Kimmorley dosent deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as "Australia". Prince is in great form and he should get Halfback over everyone. Him playing in the finals will ensure he is fit and he will be the best guy for the job

dragons_princess

Hung it on Ma Wall
Reaction score
I also think Prince would deserve it, However they would probably go someone "loyal" over him which ****s me to tears cause he does deserve to be there and would do his country proud

Status
Not open for further replies.