Opinion Pre Season Training

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure about Hughes but Patolo had a ripper pre season last year and was looking good. Then got bruising behind his knee or something like that with like 2 or 3 weeks to go. Seemed to affect him all year. Jan 2023 we were looking good. By March we were fucked.
I recall Gus saying at the end of the pre season that the two players set for a big year based on pre season training were Preston n Patolo - he was right about Preston.

Reactions: ATT

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Gould has alluded to there is probably more ability in the younger props than what most supporters are aware of - Hughes and Patolo have rarely played more than three or four games in a row without and injury - one or both might stepping up would solve a lot of problems particularly Hughes given his size. Montgomery, although not huge improved throughout last year might also be a factor.

Saw a bit of training yesterday Patolo, Edwards and Sutton were only watching (with Connor Tracey) so i assume already injured!!
The biggest challenge facing props these days is can they punch out at least 20min spells.

Look how many times last season our A defenders were nonexistent ... They simply couldn't keep up.

The game has become so fast in the NRL that finding big men with the required motors is becoming extremely difficult.

I note that all our props are off contract at the end of 2024 (Zero tackle) ... very interesting.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
The biggest challenge facing props these days is can they punch out at least 20min spells.

Look how many times last season our A defenders were nonexistent ... They simply couldn't keep up.

The game has become so fast in the NRL that finding big men with the required motors is becoming extremely difficult.

I note that all our props are off contract at the end of 2024 (Zero tackle) ... very interesting.
They tried that last year to put a rocket up everyone and it didn’t work. TBF I am not sure why they havnt resigned king. I would have at least locked him up before Nov 1.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They tried that last year to put a rocket up everyone and it didn’t work. TBF I am not sure why they havnt resigned king. I would have at least locked him up before Nov 1.

He was terrible last season .... i HOPE it was due to playing injured.

Personally, i want to see how he goes in '24 before any extension.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Perham is still around he might start. Ciraldo's favourite.
I think that statement is the stupidest ever. It has been perpetuated by the regular knockers on here. He was in the team because he was the best available.
I don't think he was ever a fullback, but he could go OK on the wing as he has a bit of speed.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He was terrible last season .... i HOPE it was due to playing injured.

Personally, i want to see how he goes in '24 before any extension.
King was busted. You can look at his stats pre and post injury and they're night and day in both quantity and quality. Fractured sternum and ruptured plantar fascia are both the reported injuries and god knows whatever else. Both long-term injuries to fully recover from and he took about a week off.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Doesnt show up in the stats when they dont/cant get into position as they are not even there to miss a tackle

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
King probably doesn't want to stay or he's wanting to have a look at his options.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
King probably doesn't want to stay or he's wanting to have a look at his options.
He probably wants to get his good form back before signing anywhere.. could be something like 200k a year better off by doing that.. his good form would get him a 600k contract.. he's not so good.. would be lucky to get 400k

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He probably wants to get his good form back before signing anywhere.. could be something like 200k a year better off by doing that.. his good form would get him a 600k contract.. he's not so good.. would be lucky to get 400k
King's never played like a 600k middle and if he was on that money fans would turn against him. At 300-400k he's value (what I assume he's currently on).

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
King's never played like a 600k middle and if he was on that money fans would turn against him. At 300-400k he's value (what I assume he's currently on).
Over the first 7 rounds of last year he averaged 144 running metres and 40 tackles.. that's a 600k prop in my opinion. He fell off the cliff after that, because he was busted.. my point is if he believes he can replicate that form again, he will get paid... and yes I don't think 600 is out if the question if he puts out those kinda numbers over a season.. maybe even more

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that statement is the stupidest ever. It has been perpetuated by the regular knockers on here. He was in the team because he was the best available.
I don't think he was ever a fullback, but he could go OK on the wing as he has a bit of speed.
He averaged 163 m per game ... good enough for 29th overall in the NRL ... Kiraz was our best with 165m ... 25th. No other Bulldogs players in top 50.

The coaching staff were OBVIOUSLEY aware of his shortcomings in other areas, but rated his ability to gain meters important enough to give him an extended run ... Let's remember the back three are as much about yardage as anything else these days. Fox doesn't contribute greatly to these areas.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Just out of curiosity AFB was 14th with 173m .... In comparison, Tino was 19th with 168m, and Haas was 7th with 187m.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Being off contract, they will be putting in big time to get a starting spot

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He would most likely make Parras NRL side atm, Hayze Dunster etc are a bit of a bust. Would also probably push out Naden or Starford at the tigs. So could be some options out there.,
Tigpies are signing all the halves, Perham was in the halves when younger.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus has stated he pays players what they're worth and will top up their contracts accordingly.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gus has stated he pays players what they're worth and will top up their contracts accordingly.
of course, but King isn't (and never was) worth 600k.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Wonder how his brother's time here affected what he thinks of us. His brother's time here wasn't great, however he was injured for a bit part of it and we put a lot of time/money into him. Must have ended on pretty good terms and he was able to get some sort of contract back at Penrith.