Opinion Pre Season Training

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He didn't apply for leadership. He was appointed to leadership. He was re-signed for 3 years. As a leader he takes up others concerns on their behalf whether he agrees or doesn't. A leader is often a middle person whether it's football or industry. In football a captain is the link between the players with the coach, senior management and board.
He was offered leadership which he accepted.

If he didn't want it he should have said no.

A leader teaches others how to deal with what is required to become and have a career as a FG footballer not help them take shortcuts to be lazy.

The captain is there to ensure that coaching strategies and gameplans (among other things) are followed not to go crying to the coach and contradict him.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was offered leadership which he accepted.

If he didn't want it he should have said no.

A leader teaches others how to deal with what is required to become and have a career as a FG footballer not help them take shortcuts to be lazy.

The captain is there to ensure that coaching strategies and gameplans (among other things) are followed not to go crying to the coach and contradict him.
We don't know if it was about short cuts. I doubt it. The narrative has been spun to absolve the coaching staff of any responsibility. What we all do know is players were falling over like 9pins at training and a lot of training injuries. I would believe RFM over Ciraldo and Gould.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We don't know if it was about short cuts. I doubt it. The narrative has been spun to absolve the coaching staff of any responsibility. What we all do know is players were falling over like 9pins at training and a lot of training injuries. I would believe RFM over Ciraldo and Gould.
We do know what happened.

RFM told Buzz.

Buzz and his fellow 'reporters' wrote numerous stories.

Then Buzz outed him publicly on TV.

Nice that you believe RFM over Gus and Ciraldo but RFM has not disputed Buzz's articles or that he is the source of the stories.

When did RFM ever dispute the events?

If the articles were lies then why hasn't he asked for a retraction?

Why would you let every prospective employer think that of you?

RFM is a big friendly kid who made poor decisions as Club Captain and was used by Buzz to write demolition jobs on our (and his own) club.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno but reading between the lines of what was said when RFM became Club Captain and then what happened towards the end of last season. RFM thought being Club Captain was going to be like being a big brother to the younger players, make sure they are comfortable and fitting in, not a boss someone to make sure they do what needed of them by the organisation.

Maybe that should have been explained by CC that RFM job is to get the team to buy into the culture they were trying to create. Problem was RFM liked the culture just like it was.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'll listen, tell me what really happened?
From my understanding there were ongoing issues between RFM and Ciraldo for a while and things got progressively worse as the season went on. You mix a young, inexperienced coach and a young playing group that only knows losing and issues are going to arise. Maybe a more experienced coach handles the situation in a different way, maybe a more experienced captain does too.

The whole "players don't want to train hard" narrative was a convenient distraction for those at the club, all of a sudden the spotlight for what was once again a poor season was suddenly direct elsewhere. Now there's a "reason" and it's all people are talking about. You can now also go out and sign a bunch of plodders and call them "hard workers" to justify the signing and have the fans eat it up.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If RFM doesn't move on, I just hope he's ready to go to his limits to get back in the good books. He can cover prop if needed. Probably his best position these days in my opinion. So unless recruitment changes things, I'd be expecting him to line up as a prop more often than not.

As far as I know, Rothfield dropped him in the shit by publicly announcing Ray as his source on tv. I don't know exactly what was said to buzzard. And it's not entirely certain that Ray has ratted to Buzz. I'll get into my thinking on that shortly, but there's potentially circumstances that might've forced his manager to start this circus.

I don't particularly like that we've been dragged through the mud over our training methods. Given that players have died in/after training in recent years (at Warriors, Manly and one other club I can't recall), it's reasonable for Mariner to bring concerns to the club. But if he's deliberately gone to the most hostile media personality with it, it detracts from my opinion of his loyalty to the club. But at this point I've only read articles from media sources I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw a 5 tonne boulder. So it's all thrown shadow over a player that might not deserve it.

Perhaps his manager has orchestrated all this. Ray is on a fresh 3 year contract. Given that it was touch and go on whether he was able to avoid retiring, Mariner has possibly accepted a smaller contract than he might have been able to if he hadn't shown signs that his body isn't holding up as it needs to. The talent available on the player market is thin this year due to
(1) Cap rises. Very few clubs have lost players they really wanted to keep. Usually by this time there's a flurry of clubs trying to shuffle out players to retain/recruit others. That's reduced greatly by the fact that there's a higher cap this less cap pressure.
(2) Dolphins pulling 30 players out of a market where many were already paying high wages to solid players. RFM's manager might have evaluated the situation and thought he could get a bigger commission for himself if he agitated for more money or a release with experienced players thin on the market. But the fact that he's had this injury scare threatening his career might mean that the plans to jump ship for bigger money haven't come to fruition as it's scared clubs off. The media attention has probably done that too.

At the end of the day I'll still hope for the best from RFM if he's still here next season. He's never been my favourite player. I just hoped he'd have improved a lot by now. He's capable but has rarely excelled. So redeeming himself in the eyes of fans will hopefully mean he plays his best football next season.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah bro honestly was blown away. Done the head nod walking past and said hey mate. But he put his hand out and said hey mate, asked me how I was and what’s been going on. I know it’s only a small insight into who he is as a person. But very well spoken, and genuinely interested in having a chat. Walked away after a quick chat, hoping he just rips in and has a big season.
Thanks for sharing that anecdote

Can u believe we effectively tried to bully an upstanding gentleman like Ray from the club and tried to ban him from training

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my understanding there were ongoing issues between RFM and Ciraldo for a while and things got progressively worse as the season went on. You mix a young, inexperienced coach and a young playing group that only knows losing and issues are going to arise. Maybe a more experienced coach handles the situation in a different way, maybe a more experienced captain does too.

The whole "players don't want to train hard" narrative was a convenient distraction for those at the club, all of a sudden the spotlight for what was once again a poor season was suddenly direct elsewhere. Now there's a "reason" and it's all people are talking about. You can now also go out and sign a bunch of plodders and call them "hard workers" to justify the signing and have the fans eat it up.
And with the AFB photo shoot we know who organised the photographer. Not RFM. Not AFB. There's a common link.

Ciraldo has to earn respect. He has never coached with the success of Hasler, Anderson, Ryan etc before they joined the club. Folkes earned his respect within the club as a hard working player and club man.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The rate your going…. You’d believe Netanyahu was actually going after Hamas militants & not the civilians ffs!

What’s next Polly?