News Potter tipped to remain at the helm following Bulldogs resurgence

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what would make you say that? theres literally no indication apart from hearsay. he's still signed on to the blues and has extended there. he's got 2 cushy jobs in channel 9 and 3 games a year as coach, why would he give that away to come to coach us?
He can quit the blues whenever he decides to accept a fulltime nrl gig

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imagine Bellemy taking orders from Gus. :tearsofjoy: Not going to happen.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Almost precisely my original thoughts.

But then someone said to me: ‘Mick is unlikely to get an NRL first grade coaching gig elsewhere in the short term, so if he’s offered one more year, he may well take it and the money and set his sights on somewhere else for 2024 if he wants to continue at the top level’.

I guess either scenario is plausible.
To the best of my knowledge Potter hasn't applied for any NRL coaching gigs since being burned by the Tigers. He has been happy for the last 8 years in assistant and development coaching roles, plus 3 years coaching Fiji which he gave up 4 years ago. This gig was offered to him by Gould and it was his old team that he still identifies heavily with. He didn't apply for it, nor from what I can gather even canvased for it, Gould came to him, not the other way around.. He has said numerous times that he is not sure he even wants a full time NRL Head Coaching role again.

Why would he sign on? Don't know, maybe because he wouldn't mind a nice little $350k for 12 months worth of work.
NRL Head Coaches don't just do it for the money, it's a 24/7/365 role that you can't do if your heart isn't 100% in it. As above, Potter isn't sure that his heart will ever be in it full time, 4 months is what he has agreed to. Maybe he will get re-attached to the idea of being an NRL Coach, but it isn't money that will convince him.

Always a Bulldog

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge Potter hasn't applied for any NRL coaching gigs since being burned by the Tigers. He has been happy for the last 8 years in assistant and development coaching roles, plus 3 years coaching Fiji which he gave up 4 years ago. This gig was offered to him by Gould and it was his old team that he still identifies heavily with. He didn't apply for it, nor from what I can gather even canvased for it, Gould came to him, not the other way around.. He has said numerous times that he is not sure he even wants a full time NRL Head Coaching role again.

NRL Head Coaches don't just do it for the money, it's a 24/7/365 role that you can't do if your heart isn't 100% in it. As above, Potter isn't sure that his heart will ever be in it full time, 4 months is what he has agreed to. Maybe he will get re-attached to the idea of being an NRL Coach, but it isn't money that will convince him.

Always a Bulldog
Yep, you've spoken to him and he told you that. Ok

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gus won't want father and son here at the same time.

The media circus would be unrelenting on father and son if we don't re-sign Kyle and it would derail our progress in 2023 with Buzz and Kent etc bagging the club for forcing a father to choose between his job and his son..plus any other crap Fox/DT would throw at all parties.

Just more hassles Gus doesn't want for the team, and club I suspect.

If it is Flanno Snr then Kyle needs to be moved on or Gus will not recommend it to the Board. Maybe thats the delay.

Flanno had the Kumuls fired up but Potter is a great option.
flanno was not at the game wendy , he was over in NZ

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Things have improved
But winning 2 games isn't a resurgence by any stretch.
It's confidence boosting at best.
Judge potter after 10 games and see if it's a resurgence or not.

But I am liking what I'm seeing, I just want to keep a level head and not get to excited just yet

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we're serious about 2024 being the big one for us, then Potter staying another year isn't the worst idea.

Will keep cap spending down and give new coach more to work withmid way through next year.
Rather the devil you know then then devil you don’t. He’s a bulldog and we’ve seen he won’t take shit , promoted young fellas who’ve cemented their spots. All for it

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And so he should. He's done a great job since coming on board and was probably going to get the gig full time anyway, though Gus would never admit that publically