OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Round 5 | Bulldogs 30 - 26 Roosters

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would think you will need 30 points to make the top 8 this year especially if it is more even.
Ok yeah I see where I went wrong and wasn't counting all the byeswhere last year they had 3 so thats 6 points. So 12 wins to 3 byes gets you to 30 points. The problem is thats when a good for and against comes in.

But we have won two games so we need at least to win half our games till round 13. So thats 3 games. We have Storm next week so count that a loss. But then we have a bye and hopefully reenergise and get a full fit team. We play the Knights R& and Tigers R9 at home so hopefully we can win those two. Then we have Panthers R10 at Panthers so forget that one. Then Raiders in Camberrs and Dragons at home R12.

Then we play Knights again in Newcastle. But that is around SOO so maybe Ponga, Saifiti and Best out. Maybe the Fox and Critta out of Dogs. It would be good to jag another but 3 wins should keep us in the hunt. Even 2 if we have a strong finish.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we are going to struggle in the short term we have too many injuries. Losing the south’s game hurt us the most. I don’t know why our effort dropped in the second half against the roosters (possibly injuries). That said the roosters effort first half was horrendous.
Most importantly if we play with the effort that was shown in the first half against the roosters, first 60 minutes against sharks and full 80 minutes against
the bunnies for every minute of every game for the rest of the season regardless of who we play in what position we are semi finals bound.
Gut feel is it will go to shit at some point we are not quite there yet.
I was most impressed with Blake Taaffe this week he was a superstar, I hope the head knock has not sent him backwards with his confidence. He schooled Dominic Young with that sideline tackle. 2 weeks suspension for that head high shot is horrible, shame NRL.
I think the standard is up, you can see it, but its just patchy and inconsistent. I think we will learn from the second half collapse against the Roosters while also recognising that we are capable of matching with most sides. Its just a case on belief and consistency. I think they have the ticker and commitment its just knowing how to overcome setbacks and control games more. Burton's kick os great and so is Mahony.

We have fast and ball skillful backs. I agree Taaffe is gaining confidence and he has that bit of X factor. I watched his NSW cup games and if he can get the same confidence at NRL level he will be great.

So we are getting there and I feel that theres going to be another few good performances to come. Especially if all are fit and rearing to go. I hope that Fifita is ready to go soon as I think thats the missing bit that will give us power and momentum up front and then we will see how good our backs can be.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think so... Could easily be considered a loose carry as Burton just removes his hand rather than racking or playing at the ball.

Its a flip of a coin really.
Id like to see those called "loose carries".

But its that last twist of Burton's hand that makes it look suspicious. He did it in the Sharks game also and that time got pinged for it.

As you said, its a 50-50 call.

Im just glad Roosters had no challenge left. The way that 2nd half was going, we would have lost the challenge i reckon.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok yeah I see where I went wrong and wasn't counting all the byeswhere last year they had 3 so thats 6 points. So 12 wins to 3 byes gets you to 30 points. The problem is thats when a good for and against comes in.

But we have won two games so we need at least to win half our games till round 13. So thats 3 games. We have Storm next week so count that a loss. But then we have a bye and hopefully reenergise and get a full fit team. We play the Knights R& and Tigers R9 at home so hopefully we can win those two. Then we have Panthers R10 at Panthers so forget that one. Then Raiders in Camberrs and Dragons at home R12.

Then we play Knights again in Newcastle. But that is around SOO so maybe Ponga, Saifiti and Best out. Maybe the Fox and Critta out of Dogs. It would be good to jag another but 3 wins should keep us in the hunt. Even 2 if we have a strong finish.
If NSW has half a brain, theyd pick Lomax on the right wing. Not sure Fox has played enough footy to stake his claim.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time ive seen the press conference.

Kudos to CC for being honest about the hip drop debacle. Took me afew seconds to realise it was on Crighton and even though they asked Critta about it, CC held his position on it.

Its obvious we have players feeling abit of pressure on their legs and immediately playing it. Need the NRL to step in and do something about it because it is at ridiculous lebels already.

IMO, unless it is a 1 on 1 tackle and the defender "hangs" off the player and then lands with his body on the legs, it is nothing.

Its a contact sport and falling on the legs is inevitable and part of the game.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If NSW has half a brain, theyd pick Lomax on the right wing. Not sure Fox has played enough footy to stake his claim.
Whether it’s Lomax or anyone else for that matter. Fox cannot be selected for NSW.

Fox is a long way from Origin level in the last 18 months. I don’t know if he is carrying injury or is mentally selling his brand more than playing footy.

He is barely in the top two wingers at the dogs on form let alone NSW. If Fox gets picked for Origin Mag has lost it before he even starts his job.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did we use our captains challenge?? Can’t remember, if not wonder if it was a ploy.
Ploy to achieve what? Show we trust the refs and bunker? Lol
Ive long believed teams use their captains challenges too frivolously.
id rather finish having not used it, than lose it in the first 10mins it on a ruck interference call and lose the game in the last 10 on a Sutton type scam call.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id like to see those called "loose carries".

But its that last twist of Burton's hand that makes it look suspicious. He did it in the Sharks game also and that time got pinged for it.

As you said, its a 50-50 call.

Im just glad Roosters had no challenge left. The way that 2nd half was going, we would have lost the challenge i reckon.
Oh it was a weird game so who knows lmao..

A few years back they came out and said if ur hand is anywhere near the ball as a player is getting up to play the ball its an instant penalty... was working well until someone challenged it and the bunker came up with the "wasnt playing at the ball, just removing hand, loose carry".

As you said, every player knows exactly what they're doing in that moment but at the same at what point is it the ball carriers problem to secure the ball properly?

Ready, FLIP, call !

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Did everyone miss the professional foul Joey Manu on Tracey when Kikau took out Tedesco? Manu tackled Tracey on the inside which should have been 10 in the bin.

Yeah you’re right. Hadn’t seen that. Imo now, it is likely Kikau didn’t pass because Tracey was clobbered beforehand. Yes agree. Had kikau actually tried to pass it was penalty + 10 in bin for Roster professional foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullfrog2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My house erupted after that tackle. Changed the game I reckon. What I really liked was the way the boys congratulated him. The celebration after the tackle looked like a try celebration

#ProudAF
My house was like we won the grand final.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive long believed teams use their captains challenges too frivolously.
id rather finish having not used it, than lose it in the first 10mins it on a ruck interference call and lose the game in the last 10 on a Sutton type scam call.
Until it was bought to my attention, I had never thought about it. Yet makes 100% sense to me now as well.